What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Soul - Kia soul - tbg

Just a quick question.

I've just looked at a 7 year old Kia soul which seemed quite nice however when ever you shut a door it makes a sound that sounds like a little tap on the roof from the outside would . Is this normal and why is this.

Thanks for any help

Kia Soul - Kia soul - badbusdriver

Just a quick question.

I've just looked at a 7 year old Kia soul which seemed quite nice however when ever you shut a door it makes a sound that sounds like a little tap on the roof from the outside would . Is this normal and why is this.

Thanks for any help

Not a clue!.

But as long as the door shuts properly and the shut lines are even, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Also, on a separate point, be aware that if this is one of the fancier versions on large alloy wheels, the ride is apparently pretty harsh.

Thanks for the advice. Any more from those in the know would be helpful so I can get a definitive idea.

I had a quick look around yesterday the only thing that caught my eye was the boot was slightly out and I did double check around the boot but looked ok. I'll have a closer look today as I like the car , as for ride quality I found it ok but worth a closer look if I drive it later. In terms of a little drive I did I would say I preferred it to a hire car nissan qashqai that I've got at the moment but still worth more of a look..

Again thank you for the help

Is this a petrol?. If so they are pretty sound and reliable cars, mechanically simple with not much to go wrong.

Diesel?, not too bad as modern diesels go, but I'd still be wary going that route unless I actually needed a diesel.

I have a soft spot for the Soul, I like its quirky looks and chunkiness, but they're not everyones cup of tea!.

1.6 GDI petrol connect plus. It wasn't on our radar until looking at another car on a forecourt and the better half saw an older one and loved how it looks plus the size and shape suits us , looking around and in this site it seems quite reliable hence the car of choice . I just find it strange how it reverbarates when closing doors as if someone is banging the roof

just a quick update .

I've looked at the soul and can only see a couple of issues,

a slight boot alignment issue not so flush bottom right but bottom left a little raised by a couple or so mil.

and the roof sound. I noticed when you close doors roof on the outside moves to create a sound but the issue I have is on a long drive all was fine except 3 times going over a bump in the road the roof made the noise but only the 3 times not on the hundreds of other road bumps.

this is the thing that is concerning me and I don't want to say no to it because otherwise it looks a really nice low mileage car.

one more question when I open the boot on the under side ( bottom inside of the door ) the paint has no gloss to it or on the top of the boot where the hinges are . Is this normal or am I being over picky

Kia Soul - Kia soul - John Boy

Surely it's been in an accident (probably hit from behind) and not very well repaired?

I noticed when you close doors roof on the outside moves to create a sound but the issue I have is on a long drive all was fine except 3 times going over a bump in the road the roof made the noise but only the 3 times not on the hundreds of other road bumps.

Not really sure what to say about the noise you are talking about, maybe if we could hear it some guesses could be made.

a slight boot alignment issue not so flush bottom right but bottom left a little raised by a couple or so mil.

The boot being out of alignment could be a worry, but then again, probably not. The car is seven years old, so it is quite possible some parking incident may have resulted in a replacement tailgate which hasn't been aligned properly. But also, it could have left the factory like that. I assume you have checked to ensure the the car has not been written off?. If it hasn't, the only thing I'd be worried about is the possibility of water getting in, but if it was, I'd imagine that would be obvious from the smell and excessive condensation.

one more question when I open the boot on the under side ( bottom inside of the door ) the paint has no gloss to it or on the top of the boot where the hinges are . Is this normal or am I being over picky

This is normal. Paint costs money, clear lacquer costs money, so manufacturers will use as little as they can get away with.

At the end of the day, you don't have to buy it if your gut is sending you warning signs!. Might be worth trying another to see if it has the same odd noise?

I've checked history not a write off. Wasn't sure about the paint , boot alignment I can understand Especially as the handle to close it is on the right where it's 2 mil below flush so I get there could genuine reasons for that .

It's just the roof thing. Add all the above I think accident but paint and boot I can see as being the norm in some way but the roof bugs me.

It's a lovely car I have had a look at 2 others one 3 years older and one 3 years younger and both had issues but I never noticed the roof thing. Just as a side note this one is in almost better shape than the 3 year newer one which I would not touch with a barge pole ( strange noise when slow manoeuvres).

The best way I can think of to describe the noise is if your in your car and some taps the roof from outside or if you've ever had a acorn land on the roof if that helps.

I'm trying to convince myself the cars ok as it's really nice for its age.

Kia Soul - Kia soul - Engineer Andy

Not the best time to be looking for a second-hand car, given the market (significant price rises due to the lack of availability of new cars due to the pandemic), you do have quite a good number of similar sized cars to choose from, though many came onto the markert within the last 5-6 years, so may not be affordable based on your Kia Soul possible car. You may have to look at 'standard' Fiesta-sized hatchbacks as well.

What's your requirements (est. annual mileage, type of journey, space, boot size, performance/handling, styling, mpg, budget, etc), in case the Soul is a poorly-repaired accident car or has enough issues to make it a no-go?

Given you're looking at a 7yo Kia, its unlikely any car you buy will come with more than a 1 year warranty if bought via a main dealer, thus the specific make/model and condition (including maintenance/MOT record) is very important.

If you're buying privately, even more so, given no warranty. The seller (if it is one in this case) might be now offloading it at as the warranty expeires because they know something major is wrong with it (not saying that's the case).

If you're having doubts, then possibly this isn't the (specific) car for you. Often a 'gut feeling' about a possible problem can turn out right.

I understand everything your all saying I'm just trying to decide if I'm being over critical or that there maybe a previous issue.

I did just have a thought about ringing the Kia dealer who did all the serviceing except the 4th year but over that 2 year period only did 7k then went back into the same dealer for all the others . So I'll keep looking around