What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars represent national characteristics? - Metropolis.

It's often said the cars a country produces typify the national psyche, or stereotype, what does that make us?

Cars represent national characteristics? - Engineer Andy

You could probably even go further and break it down by region or even county.

Cars represent national characteristics? - Terry W

Rolls Royce and Bentley still perceived as British brands and craftsmanship (no longer owned). They embody wealth, class system, quality.

What were once British Leyland marques - Austin, Morris, Jaguar, Rover Wolesley, Riley MG etc failed due to mostly poor management and obstructive out of touch unions. Some brands still owned overseas. What it says about the UK - low standards, inflated sense of importance, once world leaders who lost an empire.

Both are true in part and depending on your point of view, neither are very attractive perceptions. Cars are litte more than wheeled white goods with bling - they are valued as a way some can demonstrate visible status.

We should avoid linking cars to perceptions of the UK. Much the same as associating the USA with V8 motors - it may have appropriate 30 years ago. What do V8 motors mean today - two divergent views - (a) meaty, powerful, I'm in charge, or (b) inefficient, oil swilling, climate changing, overweight, I'm a dinosaur!

Cars represent national characteristics? - movilogo

Rolls Royce and Bentley still perceived as British brands and craftsmanship (no longer owned). They embody wealth, class system, quality.

But not reliability. Bentleys are not that reliable. I don't know how much reliable RRs are but those who buy RRs probably don't should about reliability because they have many other modes of transport if their RR fails.

RR engines for aircrafts must be very different thing.

Currently I think there are no British cars common public can afford. Most British goods tend to target luxury end of the market.

Other countries have cars that their normal citizens can afford to buy and run.

Cars represent national characteristics? - alan1302

RR engines for aircrafts must be very different thing.

Different company nowadays

Cars represent national characteristics? - Andrew-T

Cars are little more than wheeled white goods with bling - they are valued as a way some can demonstrate visible status.

The first statement has only become true since about 1970-80. Before that most people could not afford a car and relied on public transport or bikes to commute. Travelling further was by train. So a car was a definite status symbol. That idea has persisted to an extent, as by your second statement.

Cars represent national characteristics? - John F

For today's advanced ('western'?) nations embodying widespread diversity, immigration and a long history of miscegenation, are there now such things as 'national characteristics'? They may still exist in less diverse and more backward undeveloped countries - which remain incapable of designing, manufacturing, or in some benighted examples even assembling those fiendishly complex manufactured parts (e.g. my W12's crankshaft - I still do not know exactly with what and where it was made) which comprise a car.

Cars represent national characteristics? - Steveieb

There is nothing more quintessentially British as the Rover 75. Walnut dash , Wilton carpets , and old style dials in cream.

And to learn that many of them have covered over 500k miles .

Cars represent national characteristics? - Sofa Spud

There is nothing more quintessentially British as the Rover 75. Walnut dash , Wilton carpets , and old style dials in cream.

And to learn that many of them have covered over 500k miles .

. . . and consumed 500 gallons of engine oil !!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 26/10/2021 at 09:58

Cars represent national characteristics? - Steveieb

The ones we are talking about were the BMW engined diesels . The V6 and 1.8 were as you rightly say best avoided.

Hard to imagine the typical pipe and slippers owner racking up those many miles !

Cars represent national characteristics? - Sofa Spud

I thought you meant the old Rover 75 P4 "Auntie" from the 1950's !!!!

www.flickr.com/photos/45676495@N05/31772027060

Cars represent national characteristics? - primus 1

Mon 25 Oct 2021 14:21

Cars represent national characteristics? - movilogo

But not reliability. Bentleys are not that reliable. I don't know how much reliable RRs are but those who buy RRs probably don't should about reliability because they have many other modes of transport if their RR fails.

RR,s, don’t fail….they fail to proceed….

Cars represent national characteristics? - edlithgow

Depernds on the context. US depression era Model T's, Grapes of Wrath stylee, not really playthings of the rich

OTOH, in say, India, a car would still probably be unaffordable for a majority of people, though I havn't researched that to confirm.

Cars represent national characteristics? - Metropolis.

To the people saying they are just white goods, etc ect. I get that the motoring world is much more homogenised than it used to be, so perhaps we need to go back a few decades, particularly to be at a stage when Britain made cars for all income levels!

But are you saying you have never looked at a complex (engineering wise) but restrained looking Audi and thought 'how German', or a quirky Citroen and thought 'how French', or a big, brash and somewhat wasteful (not my sentiment) Cadillac, such as an Escalade and thought 'how American'? Or looked at a Ferrari and a Fiat 500 and thought they are quintissentially Italian?

The popularity of pickup trucks in the USA is partly put down to a 'can do' pioneer attitude.

The Japanese are obsessed with pursuing perfection in a given thing, I think they call it Kaizen, meaning "continuous improvement". With varying degrees of success I think it's broadly shown in their cars.

Still not sure what the UK car industry reveals about us, even historically, apart from a 'that'll do' attitude to quality control and style over substance!

Edited by Metropolis. on 26/10/2021 at 22:51

Cars represent national characteristics? - Bilboman

Way before multinational, homogeneous mass production, cars certainly tended to reflect national characteristics and a buyer of a Peugeot could be pretty sure that the car itself and most of its components came from factories in France (ditto VW - Germany, Fiat - Italy, BL - UK,...)
Back in the day when a car crashing over a pothole would produce the response "bad road!" from the British driver, but "bad car!" from the French, French cars were famed for soft, pliant seats/suspension, whereas German cars gave a firmer ride. Over time these two traits have moved slightly towards the middle, but the march of pointless bling among all marques has led to wafer-thin rubber and a rough ride for most cars three rungs up the price/specification hierarchy. (20" wheels as standard on a Scenic? What has the world come to?)
Small Fiats were great fun to drive, with foot to the floor to thrash them in every gear, but with arms akimbo owing to the archetypal Italian physique of long arms and short legs, common amongst the dominant Gracile Mediterranid ancestors who populated what are now car producing areas.