What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
GumTree numpties - Trilogy.

Why do people message "is it still for sale"? And when you reply "It is", they ignore you. Some have no manners either. And referring me to me as 'mate' when I'm not.

GumTree numpties - SLO76
Welcome to my world.

Had someone offer me 300 pounds for a 450 pounds advertised car. As I've just put a new battery on it I asked if they'd go a little bit higher. He said'You can keep the battery mate'. That prompted me to find the scrap value, it's 298 pounds from Scrap Car Comparison. Don't want to see it scrapped so will await further developments.

Edited by Trilogy. on 23/10/2021 at 21:25

GumTree numpties - mcb100
And the ‘What’s your best price?’ merchants who don’t want to know anything about the car, just how little they hope you’ll sell it for?

In my world I view a car before discussing price.

GumTree numpties - bathtub tom

I think the 'is it still available' brigade just hit a button on the screen with that on it. I've taken to adding in adverts: if you can see this, it's still available, and not replying to the numpties.

Had one who said they'd buy the car and if I delivered it, pay cash. I replied send the cash and I'll deliver it. Never heard from them again.

GumTree numpties - Topdude

edited as confusing.

ORB

(Why do people message "is it still for sale"? And when you reply "It is", they ignore you.)

I have bought and sold quite a few items lately on Gumtree and Marketplace and find myself doing the same thing for good reason.

If i am looking for something and there are half a dozen available locally i will message them all and ask (is it still available) ?

I need to find out quickly which items are available and which ones sold ages ago but the ad was never removed.

Then i can decide which item to follow up. I have found you have to be quick as the good stuff goes quickly.

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/10/2021 at 09:11

GumTree numpties - madf

There are numpties of Gumtree and FB who leave adverts up even when the item has been sold.

So it is a very reasonable question.

There are numpties of Gumtree and FB who leave adverts up even when the item has been sold.

So it is a very reasonable question.

It's reasonable question, but not if they don't respond after being told a car is still available. I always delete my ads as soon as I've sold whatever I'm selling. Last thing I want is loads of emails asking if it's still for sale.

If i am looking for something and there are half a dozen available locally i will message them all and ask (is it still available) ?

I need to find out quickly which items are available and which ones sold ages ago but the ad was never removed.

Then i can decide which item to follow up. I have found you have to be quick as the good stuff goes quickly.

Given mine is available the least they can do is say 'Sorry, no longer interested' otherwise they make themselves a time wasting numpty!

GumTree numpties - Miniman777

Given mine is available the least they can do is say 'Sorry, no longer interested' otherwise they make themselves a time wasting numpty!

They drive me mad. Been trying to sell some IKEA doors on Gumtree, £60 for pair new, but priced at £40 as 6 months old. Had i****s offer £30, say ooh your too far away when told their free, your best price and can you deliver! Ad clearly states as new, packaged, collect only and my location. Had similar issues regarding a bed settee. Gumtree is becoming a waste of space. RTFA!
GumTree numpties - Engineer Andy
And the ‘What’s your best price?’ merchants who don’t want to know anything about the car, just how little they hope you’ll sell it for?

They should have said in repsonse - best price - £1M!!

GumTree numpties - Bolt

They should have said in repsonse - best price - £1M!!

You also get the, I will give you a cheque for 10k and you give me cash change for a car up for 7k, friend of mine had this when selling a Mini, or had offers over the phone for less than half, but not one person looked at it

he got so fed up with these people he sold it to wbac.

GumTree numpties - movilogo

It's reasonable question, but not if they don't respond after being told a car is still available.

Sometimes buyers shortlist from which cars are available at that moment.

Let's say there are 3 cars with following prices

1. A - £9500
  2. B - £9250
  3. C - £9000

If all 3 available, buyer may choose to view B & C only discarding A.

But say C is not available, then buyer may go for looking A & B.

Also, if the deal is good, buyer may travel longer ignoring nearer but more expensive cars

Sold this morning to a trader who drove up from London to Suffolk. With all the hassle from numpties I nearly sold it for scrap. Glad it will live on, given it had been in the family since 2002.