What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - autumnboy
I want upgrade my TomTom satnav to a recent 6” model.

I do not have a smart phone, do the later models still use satellites for gps, not too worried about traffic updates etc. Just the route from A to B with street names/post codes.

Have been looking at such as Go 60/610/620 etc ??
Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Xileno

I assume these models you've listed are just a bigger version of the Go Basic 5 inch model I have. Very pleased with mine, it does all I need and can be updated on its own by picking up the wifi.

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Manatee

>>I do not have a smart phone, do the later models still use satellites for gps

Yes. I have been using a phone for so long now that I'm out of touch altogether with standalone sat nav features - I can't help wondering how they sell enough for it to be worthwhile, and what features they have added to differentiate them from the phone experience.

The big advantage of the phone, apart from being free if you happen to own one, is that Google maps is always up to date. It will route around traffic automatically if it can get online, gives fairly accurate journey times. Maps can be downloaded for offline use - I keep the entire UK mainland map on my phone which automatically updates monthly when it can connect to wifi.

My 2017 MX-5 has built in sat nav, but the map updates ran out last year. Even when they are up to date, it isn't as good, or anywhere near as easy to use, as the phone. I won't pay to receive updates until I am doing another European trip which, the way things are going, might be never.

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - alan1302

Why would you get a stand alone unit rather than a mobile phone and use that as a sat nav. They will be kept more up to date and the screens a better quality.

All sat navs use the GPS satellites to operate.

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Terry W

My car has a built in TomTom sat nav. In a years time I have a choice - either pay a subscription or updates, or use google/waze etc.

The traffic info and routing is great. I am not particularly bothered about map updates - in the UK when (rarely) you drive on to an unmapped bit of road, in a few hundred yards you will be back on the map anyway.

In your position I would unquestionably get a smartphone. Stand alone sat nav is just about dead - a technological triumph whose time has come and gone.

My understanding its illegal to use smart phone maps while driving with a £200 fine and 6 points. ?
Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Manatee
My understanding its illegal to use smart phone maps while driving with a £200 fine and 6 points. ?

Don't hold the phone, use a proper mount. We use airvent phone holders in 2 cars, and my MX-5 has a Brodit mount.

Don't hold the phone, use a proper mount. We use airvent phone holders in 2 cars, and my MX-5 has a Brodit mount.

OK,

If I had a smart phone as suggested. If it was used as TomTom from a planned route from A to B using post codes/address's.

Would that eat into your data while travelling ?

OK,

If I had a smart phone as suggested. If it was used as TomTom from a planned route from A to B using post codes/address's.

Would that eat into your data while travelling ?

No it wouldn't - TomTom app (should point out this refers to the paid for app) downloads complete maps to your phone so only uses data for traffic which does not use much data at all.

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Big John

I've had a Tomtom 5200 for quite a few years and it's a fabulous piece of kit especially re traffic planning.

I also have the Tomtom app but being honest although similar (but not the same) I still prefer the 5200. It's view of the overall route is somehow easier to view/navigate and it can be voice controlled.

My 5200 also has a built in SIM so uses no phone data even for traffic services etc Useful when driving through Europe especially now many phone companies are introducing roaming charges.

If you don't have a smart phone then one of the cheaper Tomtom models would be good choice but I agree the days of a separate satnav appliance are numbered but possibly not quite yet.

To be honest I always prefer to have my phone tucked firmly away in my pocket - I know someone who had a horrific time for touching a phone re satnav even though it was properly mounted and had to endure a court case - they won in the end but it wasn't pretty.

Edited by Big John on 17/10/2021 at 10:12

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Archie35

I'm with you on this. My tomtom device lives in the car, is always there whenever needed, updates the maps every week or so, updates speed cameras most days, and the traffic reports are far more accurate than google's (I've tried them both, side by side, many times, and the tomtom wins hands down - also against waze). My phone gets enough use in the day, that I could not use it also as the satnav without also needing to faff about with a charger cable in the car, whereas the tomtom is always on, always running and ready for traffic (I do have an 80-90 min commute each way, so unexpected traffic jams are a right pain). My phone lives in my pocket, and doesn't get forgotten in the car if I have to hop out to do some shopping etc. Finally, it's easier to use in the car than the smaller phone screen with less driver-ready access to re-routing, petrol station info etc. If the tomtom dies, I'll certainly replace it. (I also have a garmin in the other car - almost equally good, though its traffic reports aren't as accurate as the tomtom's).

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - Sparrow

There's something to be said fir a separate instrument that just does the nav. I use my phone sometimes, but find my old sat nav just fine. I have had a couple if issues using a phone. Once the phone which was charging at the time, told me it was too hot. On another occasion in a city with tall buildings, the phone lost GPS. The old sat nav has a bigger antena and stayed locked on.

Personal preferences I suppose.

Edited by Sparrow on 18/10/2021 at 13:57

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - movilogo

A dedicated old/unused phone with Google Map (or similar software) is ideal for Sat Nav.

The advantage of phone over sat nav is that you can always get latest map out of the box.

If you need data, you can turn your primary phone as mobile hotspot.

For this reason, I prefer cars without built-in sat nav. They become obsolete in no time and manufacturers usually charge a fee to update them.

There's something to be said fir a separate instrument that just does the nav. I use my phone sometimes, but find my old sat nav just fine. I have had a couple if issues using a phone. Once the phone which was charging at the time, told me it was too hot. On another occasion in a city with tall buildings, the phone lost GPS. The old sat nav has a bigger antena and stayed locked on.

Personal preferences I suppose.

Sounds like a dodgy phone as well.

Tomtom satnav upgrade ? - mcb100
Overheating phones are not unknown on a hot day, when attached to the windscreen. Mine does it every now and again, especially if it’s plugged in, processing navigation and streaming radio via BBC Sounds (or similar).
Unplug it, get it out of the sun for a few minutes and it’ll cool down again.