What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - John F

Usually, wrapping a few turns of rope around them then pulling hard does the trick. Not this time. Nor did a cheap rubber and plastic filter wrench. The only thing that worked was one of these........

www.toolstation.com/strap-wrench/p61562?store=GL&a...s

....because you can attach a long handled wrench to it - and even then I nearly had to resort to a breaker bar!. Do garage mechanics overtighten things on purpose?

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Bolt

Usually, wrapping a few turns of rope around them then pulling hard does the trick. Not this time. Nor did a cheap rubber and plastic filter wrench. The only thing that worked was one of these........

www.toolstation.com/strap-wrench/p61562?store=GL&a...s

....because you can attach a long handled wrench to it - and even then I nearly had to resort to a breaker bar!. Do garage mechanics overtighten things on purpose?

Years ago it had been known for oil filters to tighten themselves, even though they were put on just hand tight which was enough usualy, so might not be a fitters fault...

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - bathtub tom

I presume you mean disposable canister filters? Usual way of dealing with them was to hammer a screwdriver through them.

Anyway, what are you doing changing an oil filter, has it been there for ten years yet?

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Engineer Andy

I presume you mean disposable canister filters? Usual way of dealing with them was to hammer a screwdriver through them.

i.e. to 'Clarkson' it open...

Anyway, what are you doing changing an oil filter, has it been there for ten years yet?

((chuckle))

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Chris M

I have one of those but don't like it much as it tends to slip if there's any trace of oil on the filter. I prefer one of these if there's sufficient room as it digs in as it tightens.

www.drapertools.com/product/77592/Chain-Oil-Filter...y

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Galaxy

I always did used to have a chain wrench to remove my oil filters. However, when I bought my Ford Capri I discovered that there wasn't sufficient room between the filter and engine mounting to accommodate the chain.

So I had to purchase a strap wrench instead which did the job. I did attempt punching a screwdriver through a filter in an effort to remove it once. Oil went absolutely everywhere and it didn't remove the filter but just made the two punched holes bigger as I used the screwdriver as a T-bar. Can't remember how I ended up getting it off, now.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - RichT54

I've got one of those chain type wrenches somewhere. It usually worked very well, but one time it almost completely shredded a very obstinate filter. Fortunately, it came loose before it totally disintegrated.

I'm now trying to remember the last time that I actually changed the oil and filter myself... it was probably on the XR2 that I sold in 1991, so at least 30 years ago!

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Xileno

This is what I use, never failed to remove a filter. I can't remember where I bought mine but this looks almost identical:

tinyurl.com/3sec22p6

This is what I use, never failed to remove a filter. I can't remember where I bought mine but this looks almost identical:

tinyurl.com/3sec22p6

Wouldn't have worked for me. The arm's not long enough for good leverage and there's no way of attaching a long wrench or breaker bar.

The chain type probably wouldn't have worked either because the filter was too closely surrounded by metalwork. There was just room to potentially drive a large screwdriver through it, but I suspect it would have just torn through the metal without actually removing it. Anyway, it would not have been long or stout enough to transmit the immense leverage eventually required - it would have just bent.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Andrew-T

Do garage mechanics overtighten things on purpose?

No, they probably don't bother to smear oil on the sealing ring before fitting the filter. I have suffered your problem occasionally, and I always take this precaution myself. Only takes seconds and can save minutes and temper years afterwards.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - craig-pd130

The oil filter canister on my SV650 is directly behind the front wheel, so gets road spray & muck all over it and can make it a swine to remove.

I found that squirting a bit of ACF-50 or similar anti-corrosion stuff around where the filter body butts up against the filter mounting face a couple of days before you plan to remove the filter was a big help. It means the filter comes off with pretty much the same effort it took to install it.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - Big John

I must admit I let others service my cars these days but back in the day I used to have a tool that tightened against the angular "flats" on the top of canister and was operated using a 1/2" socket set. I've probably still got it somewhere. It worked ok but not so well if you had oil on the outside of the canister.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - kiss (keep it simple)

Can't remember which car it was, but the filter had a large hex nut on the end. Easy with a decent socket set!

Some VAG engines have those. Good idea.

My Astra has, like many, around a dozen flats on the end of the filter and sockets are available to fit (flats isn't the correct term, but I can't think of anything better at present).

On the Astra K though you have to use the tool not only to remove it but also to fit, as you can't get your hand around the filter as it's fitted in a recess in the sump.

My Astra has, like many, around a dozen flats on the end of the filter ...

I think the removal arrangements are provided by the filter makers, not a property of the model of car, so there may be variants. Perhaps some filters have been fitted with a wrench and overtightened - hand-tight should always be enough.

Hand or wrench, it's 3/4 of a turn.

Edited by Chris M on 10/10/2021 at 14:16

Hand or wrench, it's 3/4 of a turn.

That's what it said on the new filter. However, even with stout grippy rubber gloves this pensioner could only manage just over half a turn after contact. I'm certainly not going to use a wrench for the last bit. I'll let you know if it leaks.

<< ... even with stout grippy rubber gloves this pensioner could only manage just over half a turn after contact. I'm certainly not going to use a wrench for the last bit. I'll let you know if it leaks. >>

John, I've never wrenched an oil filter yet, nor have I had any subsequent leaks. All you need do is smear oil from the opening in the block around the new sealing ring, then screw it on, firmly, by hand. Job done. They don't work loose. I suppose there may be scars on the block from earlier rough handling which c.o.u.l.d start a weep, but I doubt it.

I'd never used a wrench to tighten a filter until the last few years. I used to hand tighten but it's difficult to get 3/4 turns when you can't get a proper grip on the filter. Like John F I did 1/2 and a bit and didn't get any leaks. That's until the filter on our Panda worked loose after over three months without any earlier signs of a leak. Once it had worked loose enough, it blew the seal out and deposited the oil along the road.

Overtightened oil filters - - How to remove - elekie&a/c doctor
Over tight oil filters are a minor irritation . More of a concern is the latest trend to use plastic quick release drain plugs in a plastic sump . Guaranteed to leak unless a new one is fitted.

I'd never used a wrench to tighten a filter until the last few years. I used to hand tighten but it's difficult to get 3/4 turns when you can't get a proper grip on the filter.

There's nothing magic about a 3/4 turn. If it's properly hand-tight, that's all you need. The compression of the sealing ring is enough.

So when a fixing is specified to be tightened to X nm plus 45 degrees, I can ignore the extra 1/8 of a turn?

Properly hand tight = 3/4 of a turn. However you wish to achieve it.

Edited by Chris M on 11/10/2021 at 07:55

So when a fixing is specified to be tightened to X nm plus 45 degrees, I can ignore the extra 1/8 of a turn?

Properly hand tight = 3/4 of a turn. However you wish to achieve it.

Thats going from one extreme to another, they only need hand tight to seal the filter very rare have they come undone on there own, but hand tight after using oil on the sealing face slides the filter further on due to lubrication of the seal which is better than a dry seal as you need more pressure to turn a dry seal

<< ... lubrication of the seal which is better than a dry seal as you need more pressure to turn a dry seal >>

And a dry seal needs huge force to break a year or two later, as the OP is asking about.

But the seal isn't just a seal, it's also acting as a lock washer and therefore needs compressing to exert a load on the thread. Lubricating the seal ensures it doesn't distort as it's tightened.

<< ... lubrication of the seal which is better than a dry seal as you need more pressure to turn a dry seal >>

And a dry seal needs huge force to break a year or two later, as the OP is asking about.

It really comes down to the person who tightens the filter, ie, some use where possible (room permitting) both hands to tighten,or a tool, which I have only ever used one hand after lubing the seal which imo is good enough to seal the joint, some like to be on the safe side and use two hands

unless you get a twisted base under the seal which has been known, you don`t stand much chance of a leak, not forgetting a dry seal is harder to tighten but not always harder to release unless someone has used a tool

any I have had problems releasing I made up tools to get the filter off with, but have found 99% have been easy compared to releasing a sump plug which had been overtightened which has been in the past harder than any filter