What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - sammy1

I am reading today that the authorities are working on a device to disable the motor on EVs in order to catch the criminal fraternity who are increasing using EVs to commit crime. Can you imagine a thief frantically scooting along in the traditional way of using his feet!

The same technology could presumably disable the electric motor on your Tesla or any other EV when being chased by the police

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Sofa Spud

And also maybe to disable the ECU on petrol or diesel cars, or activate engine shutdown.

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - bathtub tom

Some sort of similar system operates in Milton Keynes. The (legal) e-scooters are disabled if they try to enter the pedestrianised shopping centre.

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Engineer Andy

TBH it ain't that difficult to knock someone off such a scooter. I would caution Plod about using device* to disable such devices, just in case it interferes with innocent people's phones or worse still, pacemakers where they just happen to be standing/walking nearby to the criminal on the scooter.

* it depends whether it's one that just uses a signal to turn the unit off only known to Plod and the scooter manufacturer or some EM 'pulse' which may affect every electronic device and may permanently break them.

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Bilboman

I shall be contacting my local Police and Crime Commissioner, recommending - Budgets permitting - the establishment of a new dedicated police unit tasked with pursuing felons involved in "electronic" related crime such as thefts of high-end electronic devices or heists carried out aboard e-scooters or EVs.

To be known as i-Plod.

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Xileno

Groan!

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Andrew-T

.... it's one that uses a signal to turn the unit off only known to Plod and the scooter manufacturer ....

It might start off like that, but it would be 'leaked' before long, you can be certain.

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Bolt

.... it's one that uses a signal to turn the unit off only known to Plod and the scooter manufacturer ....

It might start off like that, but it would be 'leaked' before long, you can be certain.

Doubt it would work anyway they are not that complicated like a car system lol

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - bananastand

as far as I can see the police have a total blind spot for illegally used electric scooters. I saw a near miss between an OAP walking out of her garden gate and a "youth" doing 30mph on the pavement just down the road from my house. I'm in a quiet town and I see them going wooosh up the street all the time. In cities the problem is out of control

N/A - Stinger for electric scooters - Engineer Andy

as far as I can see the police have a total blind spot for illegally used electric scooters. I saw a near miss between an OAP walking out of her garden gate and a "youth" doing 30mph on the pavement just down the road from my house. I'm in a quiet town and I see them going wooosh up the street all the time. In cities the problem is out of control

Not just 'yoofs' - a local middle-aged woman who works at Tesco rides back and forth to work on the pacement at high speed on one in my area. I often see almost as many train commuters using them now (instead of Brompton bikes) as yoofs.

I still think they look stupid riding one - takes me back to the 'Back to the Future' film series where little kiddies were using them...

I suspect Plod mught 'take an interest' if the person affected says they had been 'misgendered' or suchlike...