What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - Steveieb

A recent spate of thefts locally which the police have little interest in gets me thinking what can be done to make it more difficult to steal the cat from daughter in laws auto Yaris which she has to leave on the road/ grass verge.

Apart from fitting a metal reinforcing cage , are these cars particularly vulnerable or is there benefit from parking them in a certain configuration ?

Grateful your advice

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - Heidfirst

if it isn't a hybrid they probably aren't interested (or are stupid).

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - thirts

if it isn't a hybrid they probably aren't interested (or are stupid).

They cut one off my daughter's 20 year old Yaris (non hybrid). It was a great way to finish a shift as a nurse to come back to her car and find it undrivable, really made her day

The mechanic who services the car was shocked that they attacked such an old car and reckons that they would have got about £20 for it. Fortunately he managed to replace the Cat for £180, which is in all probability all the car was worth.

The car is reliable, and as she couldn't afford to replace the car had to have the Cat replaced.

She was lucky that the low life didn't damage the sensors either side of the cat as that would have added a £100 for each of them to the bill.

Having realised how vulnerable her car is she will not be buying a Toyota when she does come to replace it, as it seems that Toyotas and Hondas are the most vulnerabel

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - Xileno

The newer Toyotas have now gone over to manicats but these cars might not be in your daughter's budget yet.

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - mcb100
As above, it’s the hybrid Toyotas that are more at risk. Not sure whether it’s the make up of the cat that’s specific to hybrids, or the fact that they don’t have to work as hard due to the 50% of the time they spend running on the battery and therefore retain more valuable content for longer.
Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - RichT54

Lots of useful information here:

https://heycar.co.uk/guides/best-ways-to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - bathtub tom

Scroats have been known to cut silencers out, they're not the reddist beetroots in the borscht.

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - Xileno

Some people even smoke the innards, someone posted a link on the forum only a few days ago. There are some odd people around!

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - Andrew-T

There are some odd people around!

I suppose it must be because more of them come to our attention, and it may be rose-tinted specs, but they do seem to get odder with time. Must be something to do with social media, the oddest ones can't help posting idi0tic messages ?

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - daveyK_UK
I did hear about someone who covered the outside of their cat on a old jazz hybrid with anti vandal paint, I’m not sure how that would work as surely the heat would dry the paint out?

Toyota Yaris MK 1 - Catalytic Converter thefts - JonestHon
Here is an old business idea:

youtu.be/kJGajj_zfZM