What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - groaver

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/162205/are-winte...e-

Well. That's a bit of a surprise to me.

Does a lot of France get lots of ice in winter?

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Big John

It's just for the mountain regions etc. Also all season tyres ok if they have the mud and snow sign on them.

trans.info/en/france-make-changes-to-winter-tyre-r...2

Edited by Big John on 28/09/2021 at 15:36

Ah, thanks. That makes more sense!

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Theophilus

Thank you Big John ... unfortunately David Ross's reply to the questioner in the HJ column, although technically correct, was quite unhelpful.

"For the 48 areas where you will require winter tyres, anything that is identified by a “M+S”, “M.S” or “M&S” marking on the sidewall is acceptable as a winter tyre."

He fails to clarify that the "48 areas" are in the mountainous regions of France and that it is not a blanket (!) requirement for the whole country.

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Archie35

It's explained here, for instance (and yes, all-season tyres with the correct markings are allowed):

Winter Tyres Obligatory on French Roads | French-Property.com

It's not that unusual - a number of countries in Europe now have similar laws. In Germany, for instance, it's illegal to drive when there is snow, ice or slush on the road unless you have tyres with the little mountain/ice symbol on it.

I know that we can have four seasons in one day but I think it is something the UK government should consider.

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Sofa Spud

I know that we can have four seasons in one day but I think it is something the UK government should consider.

The way to cope with four seasons in one day is to fit one winter tyre, one spring tyre, one summer tyre and one autumn tyre. That way you'll never have the wrong tyre!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 30/09/2021 at 09:44

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Alby Back
Before Brovid, I had occasion to drive to Italy several times a year which of course involved some high ground over the Alps, and pretty full on winter conditions at certain times of the year.

I got into the habit of putting winter tyres on in November through to April and switching back to summer tyres for the rest of the year.

Seemed a bit of an indulgence at first I suppose, but of course it could be regarded as a one time cost as the tyres by default last twice as long.

Makes a heck of a difference, particularly on my RWD car. I find myself able to get through properly winter conditions more easily than some 4x4s on summer tyres.

Most weekends we find ourselves navigating Welsh mountain roads to access mountain biking venues and the winter tyres really do help to add some confidence when the weather turns bad.
Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - Smileyman

Winter 2010 I went to the alps in the worse of the snowy weather and found winter tyres were essential, since then have switched tyres most winters but have hardly had occasion to drive in snow. But, according to tyre reviews tests winter tyres offer improved safety in cold weather, wet or dry.

Are winter tyres mandatory in France? - Ask HJ - John F

I've allways thought winter tyres are a waste of money in this country for low mileage drivers who don't go out on the zero to three days a year when the roads are snowy and hardly ever stray from salted roads. However, many years ago I bought an old set of wheels - £60 from ebay- for SWMBO's Focus for ease of swapping her summers for winters. But for myself, frequently needing to drive on non-main roads and uncleared residential streets, an Audi with a large engine and heavy autobox over the front driven wheels clawed me out of all snowy challenges.