What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - argybargy

Afternoon, all.

3.5 years since we bought our 13 plate Jazz ES. She's been marvellous, but if feels like time for a change.

We're also in the process of moving house, so being mindful of the increasing necessity to shift large numbers of boxes between houses and storage units, this is what I'm thinking. Something bigger, again a hatchback, with as close as possible to Jazz-like reliability, a bit more oomph under the bonnet and a non-codger image to dissuade the tailgaters. Preferably petrol and automatic so the Trouble and Strife can drive it. Budget about 8k, possibly more.

Suggestions welcome, thanks.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Will deBeast

Possibly a civic hatch or estate?

Available as a 1.8 petrol automatic. Still has the 'magic seats' from the jazz.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - badbusdriver

Hey Argy, good to hear you are still alive, its been a while!.

As Will says, Civic is a good shout, probably the most obvious and logical one. The 1.8 is making around 140bhp, so a bit more oomph than the Jazz. Sadly, as you are no doubt aware, used car prices crazy at the moment, so your £8k isn't going to go as far as you might otherwise expect. Looking on Autotrader, even if you bump that budget up to £9k, there are only six 9th gen (2012 on) Civic's nationwide!.

There are of course other options, obviously the Toyota Auris will be closest to the Jazz and Civic for reliability, but everything is affected by these mad prices.

I'd consider hanging on to the Jazz a bit longer and just hire a van for moving.

Cheers BBD, good to hear from you too. I don’t get on the forums much nowadays, sadly.

You’re absolutely right about the prices, and the quick search I did earlier was a real eye opener.

I’ll look at the Auris but perhaps yes, I should hang onto the Jazz till things calm down.
Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - mcintosh
Cheers BBD, good to hear from you too. I don’t get on the forums much nowadays, sadly. You’re absolutely right about the prices, and the quick search I did earlier was a real eye opener. I’ll look at the Auris but perhaps yes, I should hang onto the Jazz till things calm down.

Having moved from a Jazz ES to an Auris, I would stick with the Jazz or look at a Civic.The Auris”s back seats don’t fold completely flat so it lacks the Jazz’s Tardis-like ability to mimic a van. If you want a load-lugging Auris, I’d look at the estate version.

Cheers for that, Will.

Just had a look on Autothingy; not many petrol Civics to be had for around 8k. Other car sales outlets are available, of course.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by argybargy on 28/09/2021 at 16:58

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Mike H

Suzuki Vitara, if you want something a little bigger? Should be reliable enough.

Suzuki Vitara, if you want something a little bigger? Should be reliable enough.

Thanks, I'll look into that one too.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Andrew-T
Any other suggestions?

I hope you will have handed on as much of your stuff as you can to family members, charity shops, E-bay or freecycle systems, before resorting to self-storage. We downsized about 15 years ago, and have nothing of our own in such places, but using the one near here for other stuff is a real pain at times. I personally would not allow such reasons to determine my choice of car.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - SLO76
I’d throw in the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto also. It’s a great car to drive with no real vices to worry about. With prices the way they are though I’d suggest upping the budget a tad if at all possible as £8k doesn’t go far these days.

Again thanks. Second hand prices are indeed somewhat startling, so maybe yes, I need to throw a few additional shekels in the pot. There's currently a 2.0 Skyactiv manual on Autorader for 9 grand, with 45k on the clock. My car is due the MOT next week, and once it's sorted I'll check back and see whether that one's still available.

Edited by argybargy on 28/09/2021 at 19:55

Cheapest Vitara auto on Autotrader is a fiver under £12k!.

Again thanks. Second hand prices are indeed somewhat startling, so maybe yes, I need to throw a few additional shekels in the pot. There's currently a 2.0 Skyactiv manual on Autorader for 9 grand, with 45k on the clock. My car is due the MOT next week, and once it's sorted I'll check back and see whether that one's still available.

If manual is also an option then it does hugely open up the search. The Mazda 3 miles is an outstandingly good car to drive, especially with the slick changing manual gearbox, in fact it’s a much nicer car than the auto but not because of any real issue with the gearbox itself, it just suits a manual. There’s far more of them available too. I’d add the Ford Focus with the 1600 petrol or 1600 Ecoboost too if manual box is permitted. These are reliable and great fun to drive too.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/09/2021 at 21:25

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Engineer Andy

Bear in mind that the gen-3 Mazda3 hatch has a boot size of 'only' 360L against your Jazz's ~335L, so only 7.5% more.

Whilst the (nicer looking) saloon/fastback versions have a bigger boot around 420L, like all the Mazda3s (including my own gen-1 car), the saloon/fastback's boot opening is quite small - far smaller than the hatch (and any hatchback, including my parents' Fiesta), meaning larger 'cubed-shaped' boxes cannot fit into the boot via the aperture or rear doors (with the back seats down) - despite the boot itself being more than large enough to accommodate them.

The car overall is nice, and if you did find it was a good fit for you, I'd suggest (if you can find one) going for the better value SE-L (with or without Nav as required*) than the Sport models, as the latter uses the boot spare wheel area for uprated ICE. The SE-L models come with rear parking sensors, climate control, etc.

Unfortunately most second hand models tend to be either Sport and/or diesel models. Auto versions can be more difficult to source because people tend to disregard them as 'slow' /not so good on mpg compared to equivalent cars with dual clutch gearboxes, and thuse less are sold new than other makes, but they are (having test driven them) smooth, reliable, fine on mpg (you should be able to get around 40 according to the Real MPG section, backed up by my test drive experience) and ok on performance (better than your Jazz).

* Note also that the slightly revised (and better) models from 2017 with Sat nav are equipped with Apple Car Play/Android Auto - the 2014-16 models can be upgraded - but at a cost of - I think - somewhere around £300 or so. You might find you could happily use an existing separate satnav or mobile phone app and have it attached to the window, dash or vents and plugged into the car's cigar lighter or USB slot for power.

It might be worth looking at estate cars more generally for the significant bump in boot capacity with the added benefit of good access. Unfortunately no estate for the Mazda3. Worth checking out the gen-3 Mazda6 2L petrol auto (uprated engine to compensate for the extra weight) in the mix with the Civic estate (pricey) et al, although I suspect you may find your budget may not be enough for a lot of what's been suggested generally - due to the 'recent' significant uplight in second hand car prices.

Best of luck.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - paul 1963

SLO, not sure why you've suggested a Mazda 3 (again) as posted above there's no estate version. Incedently why do you always recommend them but not own one if there so good?

I agree with the earlier post suggesting a Vitara, loads of space and well put together and yes I do own one.

SLO, not sure why you've suggested a Mazda 3 (again) as posted above there's no estate version. Incedently why do you always recommend them but not own one if there so good?

I agree with the earlier post suggesting a Vitara, loads of space and well put together and yes I do own one.

Are you suggesting that if someone asks for a recommendation for a reliable car, SLO should only suggest cars he has owned rather than anything else he knows to be reliable?. That would be a very odd view to take.

A, the OP doesn't say he is looking for an estate.

B, you don't need to own a car to be aware of it's reliability.

C, you don't need to own a car to know it is good to drive.

D, some people need more space than the 3 (good as it is), offers.

The Vitara offers 375 litres of boot space with the seats up, so if the OP was looking for estate car levels of space, the Vitara falls a long way short (Civic estate has 624 litres, Fabia estate has 530 litres). The Mazda 3 has 364 litres, so if you feel the 3 is too small in that respect, so is the Vitara. But the kicker is the OP's £8k budget with the cheapest Vitara auto on Autotrader being £11,995.

Now the SX4 S-Cross, does have a reasonable increase in boot space over the Jazz at 430 litres, but even then, cheapest on Autotrader is £10,925.

Are you suggesting that if someone asks for a recommendation for a reliable car, SLO should only suggest cars he has owned rather than anything else he knows to be reliable?. That would be a very odd view to take.

A, the OP doesn't say he is looking for an estate.

No but he is looking for more space

B, you don't need to own a car to be aware of it's reliability.

True I guess but....

C, you don't need to own a car to know it is good to drive.

If there so good and one rates them so highly then why would you not own one yourself?

D, some people need more space than the 3 (good as it is), offers.

The Vitara offers 375 litres of boot space with the seats up, so if the OP was looking for estate car levels of space, the Vitara falls a long way short (Civic estate has 624 litres, Fabia estate has 530 litres). The Mazda 3 has 364 litres, so if you feel the 3 is too small in that respect, so is the Vitara. But the kicker is the OP's £8k budget with the cheapest Vitara auto on Autotrader being £11,995.

But you can fold the seats down! Didn't figure the question of budget so I apologise for that one....but there's plenty of older vitaras about within budget.

Now the SX4 S-Cross, does have a reasonable increase in boot space over the Jazz at 430 litres, but even then, cheapest on Autotrader is £10,925.

But you can fold the seats down! Didn't figure the question of budget so I apologise for that one....but there's plenty of older vitaras about within budget.

You can fold the seats down in most cars, even some saloons. But because of how much of a tardis the Jazz is, I'd be very surprised if any Golf/Focus/Astra sized hatchbacks (or the Vitara), had much, if any, more space with the seats folded down than a Jazz.

I'm not criticising the Vitara, nor am I saying it is cramped, just that the Jazz makes so much use of its space, it would make changing for that reason alone (IMO) pointless.

As for older Vitara's, that would be the Grand Vitara. And while decent enough for what they are, we would be getting into 'old cars' here, and I'm not sure the OP would be looking for something older than his 13 plate Jazz.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - John F

I often see threads like this and am struck by how rarely the most common VFM marques (Ford, Vauxhall and VW) are recommended by us self-appointed gurus. It always seems to be far eastern stuff with its propensity to rot after about ten years - unacceptable to someone as myself who considers a car still to be young at that age.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - madf

. It always seems to be far eastern stuff with its propensity to rot after about ten years - unacceptable to someone as myself who considers a car still to be young at that age.

Our 9 year old Jazz is rust free. Our 18 year old Yaris is rust free.

. It always seems to be far eastern stuff with its propensity to rot after about ten years - unacceptable to someone as myself who considers a car still to be young at that age.

Our 9 year old Jazz is rust free. Our 18 year old Yaris is rust free.

Japanese cars are generally very good at resisting rust these days, especially Toyota and Honda. Mazda are much improved too other than the Mk III MX5’s which are still rotting away as if they’ve forgotten they sell them here. The curious thing here is though John that the Mk I Ford Focus is one of the most rot prone cars of the last 20yrs or so. Ford poured the money into making the car the delight it was to pilot rather than trying to compete on quality with rivals. They mostly die due to rot which is sad because they’re a design classic and well worthy of preservation.
Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Will deBeast

Mazda are much improved too other than the Mk III MX5’s which are still rotting away as if they’ve forgotten they sell them here. ....

Yes, I'm rather pleased I had mine waxoyled from (nearly) new. It's now 10 years old and looks pretty good underneath.

<< I'm rather pleased I had mine waxoyled from (nearly) new. It's now 10 years old and looks pretty good underneath. >>

The 1990 Pug 205 I sold on a couple of years ago is still remarkably good underneath, without being Waxoyled or anything else. On the other hand its predecessor, a soft-top version of similar age, did rot under the front wings, which I suspect was because of them being peppered by gravel from someone's front drive or unmade roads.

Well, the OP didn’t ask for an estate, he merely wants a car larger than the Jazz which a Mazda 3 is. As for the question about why I recommend them yet don’t own one well I guess that means I can no longer recommend based on my years of experience in the motor trade, I must now only recommend cars I’ve directly owned. It just so happens though that I have owned numerous Mazda’s personally including a Mk I 3 1.6. The reason why a 3 or 6 2.0 skyactiv is not on my drive today is on account of two factors, one, the wife doesn’t like the looks, they’re not posh enough for her and when shopping for myself last time I found a Toyota Avensis that was in excellent condition at the correct price. When shopping for a used car you buy on condition and history over make and model though had an identically tidy Mazda 6 estate been for sale at the same money I would’ve taken it over the Toyota because it’s a much nicer car to drive. I would’ve taken a Mazda 6 petrol estate or a CX5 over her Volvo any day but again she didn’t like it and the Volvo showed up in the right condition. I don’t have any beef with the Vitara, it’s a perfectly sensible used buy but it had already been recommended. I’m guessing you’ll take issue now with anyone who doesn’t just tell everyone to buy one?

Edited by SLO76 on 29/09/2021 at 11:50

I often see threads like this and am struck by how rarely the most common VFM marques (Ford, Vauxhall and VW) are recommended by us self-appointed gurus. It always seems to be far eastern stuff with its propensity to rot after about ten years - unacceptable to someone as myself who considers a car still to be young at that age.

A Ford of the age budget would allow will have a Powershift DCT, a VAG car of that same budget will have a DSG, a PSA car of that budget will have some kind of automated manual, possibly single clutch. A Vauxhall Astra would have a t/c auto, but while the budget may get you into a 1.4t petrol, most will be the n/a 1.6, who's performance, like that of the OP's Jazz, could be described as 'adequate', but nothing more.

Despite what you think, there is no conspiracy to discredit cars which could fit the OP's need, just because they don't come from the Far East. In fact if you actually read the thread you'll see last night SLO suggested a Focus (1.6), if manual was an option.

If it was, I'd also be suggesting various VAG cars from the SEAT Toledo/Skoda Rapid (550 litre boot), estate versions of the Skoda Fabia or SEAT Ibiza, to the Skoda Octavia. But as a second hand auto with the DSG and no way of knowing how previous owners have driven it?, not a great idea.

Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot despite not having any current experience of living with one day to day, Knocking them out to punters is rather different, and no I won't be taking issue with anyone over Vitaras, I've only had ours a week ( bought new btw) but so far it's ideal for our needs so was the previous Mokka and that would be another car I'd recommend to someone looking for something larger than a jazz ( had one of them as Well!).

Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot

And a Honda Jazz/Civic, and a Toyota Yaris/Auris/Avensis, And Ford Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo/C-Max/S-Max (with various cavieats), and various VAG cars (with some caveats)

Yeah SLO, high time you started recommending unreliable cars (or cars way outside of the OP's stated budget), reliable cars are just sooooo boring!!!

:-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/09/2021 at 13:25

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Falkirk Bairn

Most people want a reliable car, first & foremost. Whether it is fast, "good looking" superb handling etc etc is down to personal preferences / opinion.

SLO's opinions are his based on buying & selling more cars than anyone else on the site.

His opinions will have changed over the years - a good diesel engined car was good for lunar miles and tough as old boots 20+ years ago. Due to emissions that has all changed and serious problems can develop when the car is comparatively young. It might not be the engine itself but all the "extras" bolted on to minimise emissions, markedly boost the power of smaller capacity engines.

20+ years ago cars were mainly manual gearboxes or TC autos on more expensive cars. Today the trend is autos - however it is not just TC boxes, automated manuals, CVTs, DCT, VAG DSG, Ford Powershift etc etc

Automated manuals, Ford Powershift and many VAG DSGs get a lot of stick from many but again many users like them.

SLO has advised on buying cars on condition - a tatty Yaris is a poor buy in all probability, a well looked after Clio might fit the budget for a 1st time buyer.

SLO's current opinions are buy Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai petrols & hybrids - buy TC autos, CVT Honda/Toyota etc etc

Avoid diesels unless you do high mileage, avoid many European brands due to quality issues 3 cylinder engines, DSG, Powershift etc etc

You might not like his red lines - that is up to you. Most here would agree with SLO and new members seem to value his insights.

Most people want a reliable car, first & foremost. Whether it is fast, "good looking" superb handling etc etc is down to personal preferences / opinion.

SLO's opinions are his based on buying & selling more cars than anyone else on the site.

His opinions will have changed over the years - a good diesel engined car was good for lunar miles and tough as old boots 20+ years ago. Due to emissions that has all changed and serious problems can develop when the car is comparatively young. It might not be the engine itself but all the "extras" bolted on to minimise emissions, markedly boost the power of smaller capacity engines.

20+ years ago cars were mainly manual gearboxes or TC autos on more expensive cars. Today the trend is autos - however it is not just TC boxes, automated manuals, CVTs, DCT, VAG DSG, Ford Powershift etc etc

Automated manuals, Ford Powershift and many VAG DSGs get a lot of stick from many but again many users like them.

SLO has advised on buying cars on condition - a tatty Yaris is a poor buy in all probability, a well looked after Clio might fit the budget for a 1st time buyer.

SLO's current opinions are buy Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai petrols & hybrids - buy TC autos, CVT Honda/Toyota etc etc

Avoid diesels unless you do high mileage, avoid many European brands due to quality issues 3 cylinder engines, DSG, Powershift etc etc

You might not like his red lines - that is up to you. Most here would agree with SLO and new members seem to value his insights.

Well said Sir!.

But in addition, there is nothing stopping anyone who disagree's with SLO's suggestions, for whatever reason (still not sure what Paul's beef is with Mazda), to make their own. Though it should be at least reasonably close to any needs preferences and budget stated by the OP. So while there is nothing wrong with the Vitara, with current prices, they are way above the budget Argybargy started off with. And while he has hinted that some more funds could be added, to get into Autotrader's cheapest Vitara auto would require that budget being boosted by 50%.

FB, BBD, your both taking it the wrong way, SLO is undoubtedly knowledgeable as I'd like to think a lot of us here are I simply thought that in order to keep recommending certain cars it would perhaps be more credible if one at least had experience of living with one currently or recently? ( Mods...am I wrong?) probably my last words but just for amusement have a look at "Sniff petrol" there's a hilarious parody ......

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Xileno

"Mods...am I wrong?"

I'm not sure there's anything to add that hasn't already been mentioned. SLO's recommendations will be based on his experience of working at the coalface of the trade. Word soon gets around the traders regarding which models are good and which are best avoided. I'm not sure actually owning a particular car is a requirement to recommend one anymore than it is to discourage. I would quite like a Range Rover but I've read enough to make me realise that probably would not be a wise purchase in terms of reliability and therefore I probably wouldn't recommend one either if there was a thread on 4x4 options.

There's nothing to stop people making their own recommendations (this is after a Discussion forum) and you are of course free to ignore suggestions.

I don't think it has anything to do with taking it a wrong way or a right way. I just can't fathom why you feel someone needs to own a car to establish whether or not it is any good.

I don't think it has anything to do with taking it a wrong way or a right way. I just can't fathom why you feel someone needs to own a car to establish whether or not it is any good.

ok I'll take the bait..surely actually owning a car for a period of time would qualify you to comment on a particular model with more authority than brief test drives? Long term ownership shows up any underlying issues a particular model may have, for instance ( and you know perfectly well where I'm coming from) in the past 9 years I've owned, all from New, a jazz, a Swift and a Mokka but I wouldn't and couldn't comment on the current marks of any of them with any conviction, I could however comment on my impressions of them at the time I owned them. I could also comment on my current Vitara but that would mean little to someone considering a older model.

“ ok I'll take the bait..surely actually owning a car for a period of time would qualify you to comment on a particular model with more authority than brief test drives? Long term ownership shows up any underlying issues a particular model may have, for instance ( and you know perfectly well where I'm coming from) in the past 9 years I've owned, all from New, a jazz, a Swift and a Mokka but I wouldn't and couldn't comment on the current marks of any of them with any conviction, I could however comment on my impressions of them at the time I owned them. I could also comment on my current Vitara but that would mean little to someone considering a older model.”

I get where you’re coming from, however my experience doesn’t just come from brief test drives. I might not have owned every car I comment on but I know from experience which comes from supplying said vehicles what goes wrong with them and what buyers like about them. I might no longer be directly selling but I am still regularly tasked with finding and vetting used cars for people and I make a point of keeping in regular contact to see how they get on. I also retain contact with a few local traders with which I still share an occasional cuppa with. To me this is much more informative than ownership of a single car bought brand new that is still under warranty.

The likelihood of any of the three cars you’ve owned over the last nine years having suffered anything beyond a minor problem is slim so your experience regarding long term reliability is to me lacking, you haven’t really tested the cars long term. But sell them and deal with the fallout of problems at 5/6yrs plus and you’ll learn plenty about the models durability.

I get your points as well however 3 years on average with each of three cars I mentioned is time enough for any basic design/manufacturing faults to come to light, the earliest of the cars I mentioned, 60 plate jazz, has apparently failed it's last 3 mots due to various brake and suspension faults, hence I would be wary of recommending one of that particular model year to anyone plus the fact after a week of ownership I decided it was possibly the ugliest ill handling car I've ever owned...it didn't last long..lost a packet, the swift however ( 15 plate) was a joy from day one and we really should have kept it.

While I wouldn’t say the Jazz of that vintage was ugly I absolutely agree about the way it drives, Honda made no effort at all to instil any driver appeal. I recommend them as used cars purely due to their excellent reliability record and low running costs but a drivers car they are not.

The Swift is a gem in my opinion. Fun to drive and similarly cheap to run, I can understand why you rated it so highly. I was recently reminded of how good they are when I sourced a cheap 11 plate 59,000 mile1.3 GL for a friend. If I didn’t need as much space I’d probably be hunting for a Swift Sport right now. Sadly though this two owner car turned out to be a bit unlucky with over £600 worth of work needing done in the few months after, we all get it wrong sometimes. It was near perfect on appraisal and I supplied the car to the last owner 7yrs previous. It was just bad luck but it was cheap enough at £925 to weather the spend and is now providing reliable fun.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/09/2021 at 19:47

<< OK I'll take the bait..surely actually owning a car for a period of time would qualify you to comment on a particular model with more authority than brief test drives? >>

Not necessarily. Ownership of one perfect example of a certain model may be a poorer recommendation than wider knowledge of reliability records. Stats aren't everything though.

As many will know, I have owned a 2008 Pug 207SW from almost-new, and it has been 99.9% reliable (the 0.1% is a failed rear-door lock). It has the 1.6 HDi engine which many people call the Diesel of Doom. I am happy to keep the car as long as it does its job, and I would not advise anyone to despise it as a possible purchase. But I'm not in the trade, and everyone has their own - sometimes irrational - likes and dislikes.

“ His opinions will have changed over the years - a good diesel engined car was good for lunar miles and tough as old boots 20+ years ago. Due to emissions that has all changed and serious problems can develop when the car is comparatively young. It might not be the engine itself but all the "extras" bolted on to minimise emissions, markedly boost the power of smaller capacity engines.”

Agree absolutely. It’s no secret I hanker back to an earlier time. Give me a new Volvo 740, Cavalier, Carlton, Bluebird, Carina, Sierra or Granada any day over this over-complex modern rubbish where I can’t even figure out the heater controls.

Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot

And a Honda Jazz/Civic, and a Toyota Yaris/Auris/Avensis, And Ford Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo/C-Max/S-Max (with various cavieats), and various VAG cars (with some caveats)

Yeah SLO, high time you started recommending unreliable cars (or cars way outside of the OP's stated budget), reliable cars are just sooooo boring!!!

“ Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot despite not having any current experience of living with one day to day”

You’re perfectly within your rights to disagree with me, it makes life interesting. I assume you also take issue with the motoring press also including this site and former head man HJ himself then? Their reviews and recommendations are to be ignored if they haven’t actually owned the exact model in question? I think your logic is somewhat flawed here but as above differing opinions are welcome.
“ Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot despite not having any current experience of living with one day to day” You’re perfectly within your rights to disagree with me, it makes life interesting. I assume you also take issue with the motoring press also including this site and former head man HJ himself then? Their reviews and recommendations are to be ignored if they haven’t actually owned the exact model in question? I think your logic is somewhat flawed here but as above differing opinions are welcome.

But your not HJ or anything to do with the motoring press, and while we're on the subject you know full well how the motoring press works, when was the last time you saw a truly bad review? they all depend on manufacturers advertising revenue to survive.

I'm not disagreeing with you but simply questioning your authority to comment on a car you may have only briefly test driven...best we leave it there, it's not helping the op with his question.

“ But your not HJ or anything to do with the motoring press, and while we're on the subject you know full well how the motoring press works, when was the last time you saw a truly bad review? they all depend on manufacturers advertising revenue to survive.”

I largely agree. You’re right, I’m not in the motoring press, I’m merely an ex salesman and ex home trader and all round car geek who has bought and sold thousands of cars over the years. My advice is therefore irrelevant. You’re right, the motoring sections in today’s papers are nothing more than adverts, that’s what I enjoyed so much about HJ’s section in the Telegraph. Here was someone unafraid to tell it straight. If a car was good it got a good review but the rubbish was duly trashed. I’ve lost interest in most new car magazines as they make recommendations based on a brand new car and pay no attention to long term reliability. It’s all about Ncap scores and gadgets over how the car will actually perform long term for the majority of people who will actually own it throughout its life. Handling round a test track is more important than on road comfort, drivability and durability.

Leaf through a copy of What Cars or Autocar magazines used car sections and you’ll find frequent ill-advised recommendations such as Fords fragile 1.0 Ecoboost engines and Powershift gearboxes, VW’s DSG gearboxes and Land Rovers to used car buyers. James Ruppert of Autocar frequently advises used buyers on low budgets to buy ridiculously complex prestige cars that would be highly unwise propositions. Speak to anyone with trade experience from mechanic to salesman and they’ll advise you to look elsewhere, but then again their advice is irrelevant according to you unless they’ve actually owned that particular car. These magazines base everything on a short test drive of a new car and how it performs, missing the cars failings as a used buy completely. I only subscribe to Car Mechanics today, which I find very informative.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/09/2021 at 19:17

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - groaver
. James Ruppert of Autocar frequently advises used buyers on low budgets to buy ridiculously complex prestige cars that would be highly unwise propositions. Speak to anyone with trade experience from mechanic to salesman and they’ll advise you to look elsewhere, but then again their advice is irrelevant according to you unless they’ve actually owned that particular car. These magazines base everything on a short test drive of a new car and how it performs, missing the cars failings as a used buy completely. I only subscribe to Car Mechanics today, which I find very informative.

Yes. What is James Ruppert's angle there?

Does he think everyone loves constantly "tinkering" with their car?

“ Yes. What is James Ruppert's angle there?

Does he think everyone loves constantly "tinkering" with their car?”

I think he gets a kick from showing just how much metal you can get for your money. Me however, I favour the warm glow which comes from beating the system. Rather than losing thousands of pounds a year in depreciation and interest, you can buy a reliable car cheaply. I favour simplicity over gadgets per pound though as would most at who’ve spent years trying to earn money from the things.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/09/2021 at 20:48

An absolutely fascinating discussion, kicked off by my humble, unoriginal and rather boring plea for car buying advice. Many thanks to all who contributed: its been a great read.

Still reckon I might hang onto the Jazz for a bit longer, unless someone finds a secret stash of low mileage Cavaliers or rust-free Mk1 Focuses. ;0)

“ Still reckon I might hang onto the Jazz for a bit longer, unless someone finds a secret stash of low mileage Cavaliers or rust-free Mk1 Focuses. ;0)”

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Alby Back
Does it always have be about budget though? Mostly what motivates my car choices is their usefulness combined with the way they deliver at least some driving and aesthetic pleasure. I'm a car enthusiast and I accept that that particular personality failing must cost something.

I'm fortunate enough to have reached a stage in life when I could theoretically afford to buy several new premium cars without troubling the piggy bank very much, but I'm feeling in no rush to even buy one of those at the moment. As it stands, I do have a fairly premium, but by no means new, and indeed very high mileage car.

It does everything I want a car to do, and so far, it has proven exceptionally reliable. I recognise that if and or when it does need something fixing, that it won't be cheap, but that's ok, so be it, and in the meanwhile, its doing everything I want it to do very well. In short, I'm quite fond of it. It's a bit like my old dog, a new one would probably be better, and certainly smell a bit sweeter, but he's been a good dog and I wouldn't hesitate to get him repaired if he needed it.

You can reduce more or less anything you have to spend money on down to lowest common denominator choices, but sometimes, doesn't anyone else think life is more than a bit too short for that?

Or is it just me?

;-)
Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - groaver
Or is it just me? ;-)

No, I think you are correct.

We may only pass by this way once.

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Alby Back
Or is it just me? ;-)

No, I think you are correct.

We may only pass by this way once.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy (something the swear filter wouldn't like) what a ride!' " ~ Hunter S Thompson.
Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - focussed

An absolutely fascinating discussion, kicked off by my humble, unoriginal and rather boring plea for car buying advice. Many thanks to all who contributed: its been a great read.

Still reckon I might hang onto the Jazz for a bit longer, unless someone finds a secret stash of low mileage Cavaliers or rust-free Mk1 Focuses. ;0)

The best advise was in an earlier comment:-

Keep the Jazz and hire a van to move house with.

It will only cost you the van hire fee!

Honda Jazz - Time for a change, maybe - Engineer Andy

Sorry if I've touched a nerve SLO but you do advise people to look at a Mazda rather a lot despite not having any current experience of living with one day to day, Knocking them out to punters is rather different, and no I won't be taking issue with anyone over Vitaras, I've only had ours a week ( bought new btw) but so far it's ideal for our needs so was the previous Mokka and that would be another car I'd recommend to someone looking for something larger than a jazz ( had one of them as Well!).

To be fair, SLO has been a car salesman for some time, and appears to keep tabs on the cars he's sold via contacts with punters (which shows they trust him). I and others here have owned Mazdas (I've owned my Mazda3 since new for coming up on 16 years now) and thus he has taken our experiences and that of customers into account, plus I suspect he's talked to fellow sales people to guage their own opinions too.

It may be that the OP's space requirements are met by a C-sector car even if it 'only' has 10-20% more boot space. It may not, especially with the Jazz's incredible versatile magic seats arrangement creating a flat floor if required, qhich most other cars don't have as a feature.

The reliability of standard (i.e. not the rotary) Mazda petrol cars is well known, and their rust resistance has improved considerably since the early 2000s. I would recommend them as dependable cars, as I would the Ford Focus of the same era which is based on the shared platform with the Mazda3 and Volvo V40.

My car has (touch wood) been very reliable throughout its life.