What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - CaptFinnBad

So I have a 1 liter petrol Dacia Logan MCV. It's a very slow car,. I'm happy with it and it does what I need though.

I mostly dive on the moterway, usually within the speed limit. I sometimes creep over but not by much!

I've currently still got the original continental eco 5 tyres are, but at around 20k miles my two front tyres need replacing.

I want a decent tyre, at a reasonable price. It's for a boring car driven sensibility. I don't want to cheap out on tyres nor do I want to buy some expensive performance tyre that u really don't need.

I want to ideally pay under £50 per tyre fitted.

Something decent it the wet, dry (don't get much snow here), something that's fuel efficient and will not wear out fast.

So far I've been looking at Bridgestone T500's. Which works out at £54 per tyre fitted, my only concern is I've read of reviews of these wearing out fast?

Any decent cheap recommendations please?

Edited by CaptFinnBad on 27/09/2021 at 21:16

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - Falkirk Bairn

How much tread on the worn front tyres - 3mm+?

If so, put the lightly worn rears on the front and the 3mm+ will last ages on the back.

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - focussed

The most important feature to consider when buying new tyres is the wet grip stopping performance.

The compulsory tyre labelling gives ratings for each tyre for fuel consumption, noise and wet grip performance

The tyre label will show tyres rated from A to G; with A having the shortest braking distances in wet weather and G having the longest wet weather braking distances.

Each rating can mean a difference of about 3-6 metres on the stopping distance when braking from a speed of 50mph in the wet. So the difference between category A and G tyres could mean it would take an extra 18 metres to stop. That's a lot if you need to stop in an emergency.

www.national.co.uk/information/complete-guide-to-t...g

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - catsdad

Opinions differ as to whether to put new tyres on the front or the rear. The general advice, when you markedly different tyre wear, is that your best tyres go on the rear. It’s loss of rear grip that is hardest for most drivers to control.
Unless you are Lando Norris.

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - edlithgow

Opinions differ as to whether to put new tyres on the front or the rear. The general advice, when you markedly different tyre wear, is that your best tyres go on the rear. It’s loss of rear grip that is hardest for most drivers to control.
Unless you are Lando Norris.

If the OP takes the "best tyres on the back" thing seriously, he could/should move his rear tyres to the front and get new tyres for the rear.

I thought that was the standard advice (discounting the replace them all counsel of perfection).

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - focussed

I get the feeling that the "best or new tyres on the back" advice started with rear wheel drive cars before front wheel drive became the majority.

Lets face it, the rear tyres on a FWD car just stop the back dragging on the ground, not much else, the back end is a bit like a trailer, it just follows the front around.

Dacia Logan MCV - Need new tyres for a boring car? - edlithgow

I get the feeling that the "best or new tyres on the back" advice started with rear wheel drive cars before front wheel drive became the majority.

Lets face it, the rear tyres on a FWD car just stop the back dragging on the ground, not much else, the back end is a bit like a trailer, it just follows the front around.

IIRC (havn't re-looked it up ) the advice, from sources like the AA, RAC and tyre companies, applies to both FWD and RWD.

Personally I MIGHT be tempted to follow the suggestion above and put the low treads on the back, but (a) I'm a borderline irresponsible skinflint, and (b) I'm in Taiwan, with a reasonably predictable dry season and no absolute need to use a car whatever the weather.

Anecdotally I've spun a FWD car twice accidentally. RWD never, and I've had a few RWD cars. I THINK this was down to lift-off engine braking and forward weight transfer combined with greasy conditions causing the back to come unstuck, and thus seems consistent with the "official" story.