What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New driver - car suggestions pls - Karan87

Hi All

I passed my driving exam in July after long wait due to covid.

And in search of the car. But bogged down due to crazy prices of used cars.

I am looking at one BMW x1 2016 model listed at 16k.. Se drive with 42k miles... Shows as 1400 less then mkt avg

Not sure what will happen to its price when the craziness goes out.

Any suggestions or ideas.. I was thinking to lease out a cheap deal for a year or two...

Or buy a second hand around 5k ish..

Suggestions pls

Edited by Karan87 on 22/09/2021 at 21:00

New driver - car suggestions pls - badbusdriver

Well something which isn't a BMW (particularly an X1) would be a good place to start...........

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/09/2021 at 21:01

New driver - car suggestions pls - elekie&a/c doctor
Recently passed your driving test ? Probably a good idea to check cost of insurance first on cars you are considering purchasing.

Is the x1 that bad a car? Done a test drive for an 2018.. But I am complete newbie on the cars so no idea..

Insurance whichever car I chose it is coming to 600 to 800.. Looking from the insurance group wise.

New driver - car suggestions pls - badbusdriver

Despite the desirable image and what 'herd' opinion might suggest, most 'bread and butter' BMW's are not actually anything special. Both in terms of how they drive, and more importantly (for a second hand buyer) reliability, which can actually be pretty poor. Now if you have the funds to get behind the wheel of a new one with the protection of a warranty, fair do's. But a second hand example outwith warranty?, your money and all, but I wouldn't.

Same goes for Mercedes, and to a lesser extent, Audi. To be fair though, the problem I'd have with buying a smaller Audi is not so much that they are bad cars, just that i can get essentially the same car from VW and more particularly Seat and Skoda for less money. Being a canny Scot, that is what I'd sooner do.

We'd need a bit more info on your particular requirements before making any suggestions. Budget?, and I'm assuming the BMW would be some kind of finance deal since you then mention a £5k car?. Is that what you have available to buy a car outright?. How many miles you expect to cover along with type of journey (mainly motorways, urban, etc)?. How much space you need (including boot, if you have a big dog?).

But I'd suggest you look at something a bit more modest as a first car and £5k is plenty to get into something nice reliable and practical for a couple of years to build up your NCB (even if that car may not have the image you desire!)

thanks for the response. ..

- budget is around 10-12k ish.. asked about 5k as it seems good option to start with or lease

- Fam with two young kids ..

- have manual licence but oother half is on auto so going for auto

- mix of motor way plus urban- i may use it for commute once/twice a week which is 160 mile return trip.

- one special req is to have a sunroof / pan roof :|

saw few old peogeot 3008 ones from 2011 but not sure about the reliability... plus can go for lease deals which sets me out about 7-8 k for 2 years..

Insurance: i compared on the meerkat compare and can see the cheapest one for x1 with admiral littlebox around 700..

New driver - car suggestions pls - SLO76
“Insurance whichever car I chose it is coming to 600 to 800.. Looking from the insurance group wise.”

No offence but I seriously doubt a new driver would be able to insure an X1 for that, it’ll be far far more expensive than a small petrol engined hatchback like a Fiesta. I’d check that again.
New driver - car suggestions pls - SLO76
Reign in your ambitions a bit, an expensive first car isn’t a good idea. You’ll make wee errors of judgement and add a few scuffs and scrapes which will cost a fortune to fix on a valuable car. The insurance will also be crippling on a BMW for a new driver, I suggest you get a few quotes to deter you.

Cars are a terrible “investment”, they plummet in value and for inexperienced drivers they’re hugely expensive to insure. I’d stick instead with a simple but fun to drive petrol engined hatchback instead. The likes of a Ford Fiesta 1.25 petrol (don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost), Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol or Suzuki Swift 1.2 petrol are all an absolute hoot to drive yet they’re cheap to run and insure. They’re also far more reliable than any modern BMW.

yes.. that is what i was thinking as well.. and to put in money in crazy used prices doesnt make sense as i read everywhere that people are selling used car off the same price which they bought 2 years back..

so thinking of sticking at max 5kish on the old used one.. the depreciation wont be that bad as it would be on a 16k one?

New driver - car suggestions pls - mcb100
Get insurance quotes on registration numbers of cars from adverts. Recently discovered that a 20 year old Clio Expression is twice the cost to insure of a mechanically identical Clio Dynamique, despite the only difference being the addition of a sunroof and deletion of front fog lights.
Each variant in trim has a different rating. I’m also told that if you put the start date of the policy a week before the date you want it to start, it makes the premium lower.

Edited by mcb100 on 23/09/2021 at 09:01