What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - AA.or.RAC - wantstolearn

Just had renewal quote from AA third year £220 due in a month.

Same cover RAC £13 a month,.24 month contract.I

My car AW169 is maintained to the last detail.

There are many cheap providers but suspicious of standards.

Any comments appreciated.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Xileno

This gets discussed quite often, here is a recent thread on alternatives but I'm sure members will have some other suggestions as well.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157811/lv-britanni...e

Many thanks for prompt, courteous and helpful reply.

Any - AA.or.RAC - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m in the same situation. Been with the AA since the 70s . Investigated change to a different service , but found lots of restrictions. The AA covers the driver , and as I drive loads of different cars this makes sense to me . Always read the terms and conditions. Got my AA to £22 per month with the highest cover .
Any - AA.or.RAC - Bolt
I’m in the same situation. Been with the AA since the 70s . Investigated change to a different service , but found lots of restrictions. The AA covers the driver , and as I drive loads of different cars this makes sense to me . Always read the terms and conditions. Got my AA to £22 per month with the highest cover .

I`m only £2 a month more for 2 people covered for any car, I did for a year try another but when I did break down they took 2 hours to get to me and said battery had given up and wanted to charge £150 for a battery change, turned out problem was overheated CPS, when engine cooled off it started, not to happen again. have stayed with AA since

Thanks for useful posts. With our motoring needs cover for one car only.

I thought previous year £190 was dear but for various reasons not able to query. Suspect I may be considered easy profit. I'll get back to AA next week and if not £180 or less will change. I'll post the result.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Andrew-T

<< I did for a year try another but when I did break down they took 2 hours to get to me >>

I don't think too much weight can be given to an unlucky one-off experience. Most of us don't call on recovery service very often so It will be a toss-up. Many of the services connect with a 'nearest garage' which may be better placed than one of a fleet of branded vans - or not, of course.

In the late 1990s we had an efficient roadside 'fix' from the RAC which got us home and lasted several years until the car was sold (failed clutch cable). We had to wait over an hour, the van was only a few miles away, but on the other side of Hereford.

Any - AA.or.RAC - badbusdriver

I recently cancelled the Green Flag membership for my van. had it for more that 10 years and never used it once.

For an older van, currently a 2010 Caddy and before that (2010-2018) a 2005 Transit Connect, the price is pretty steep!. I figured that as my window cleaning round has me in certain regular areas, never that far from home, it would (in theory) be far more cost effective for me to just have the phone number of a few local garages who have a recovery service.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Terry W

I am with Britannia Rescue who tend to get good reports. Only used once - flat battery in airport carpark after 4 weeks. That aside, I last broke down over 20 years ago!

They were much cheaper than many, particularly for European cover which I use.

You need to be clear why you have a breakdown service - to get you out of a hole with someone to call in an emergency, or a "full" insurance service.

If you run a fairly new car properly serviced I would go for the emergency call out only. Just accept in the unlikely event of a problem you will need to meet the cost of hotel and alternative travel if it cannot be easily fixed.

Older vehicles may need a service more frequently - may be worth having full cover.

It's a 2011 AW169 petrol manual, 44,000 on clock. I Need to know if anything goes wrong help is available.

Thanks for the contributions which have been helpful.

may I also commend the forum on polite and constructive posts.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Andrew-T

I Need to know if anything goes wrong help is available.

That may depend largely on where you are, and what time you need it.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Steveieb
Cancelled my Nationwide Flex with Brittania Rescue and transferred to Start after going with the Which recommendation.
This company have rapidly climbed the customer surveys and now rate with the best premium companies like AA but at a fraction of the price.
Also they are dog friendly , which is important to me after being stranded by Another company at EM airport with my daughters dog and watching the car being recovered .
Any - AA.or.RAC - edlithgow
Only used the AA once, when throttle cable jammed on the A9 North of Aviemore in a snowstorm and my GF, who was driving, failed to turn off after de clutching and the engine raced its tappers lloose.
I was re adjusting the tappets when the AA guy stopped. TThe car had a legacy badge but I wasn’t a member. His torch was better than mine so I gave him a fiver. Seemed happy enough. Would have been cheaper to buy a better torch though.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/09/2021 at 02:08

Any - AA.or.RAC - _
Cancelled my Nationwide Flex with Brittania Rescue and transferred to Start after going with the Which recommendation. This company have rapidly climbed the customer surveys and now rate with the best premium companies like AA but at a fraction of the price. Also they are dog friendly , which is important to me after being stranded by Another company at EM airport with my daughters dog and watching the car being recovered .

Same here. Start excellent as previously sadi.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I will be going with Start, so special thanks for that. I should have added another or ?. Saved me over £100 ! Especially Which recommended.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Halmerend
My sons used AutoAid for four years and had two battery failures. Sorted with nothing to moan about both times and they’re not expensive.

Thanks

Any - AA.or.RAC - movilogo

I use Eversure breakdown recovery which came as cheaper than AutoAid.

Never had to call them so can't comment on service.

Another thanks. I've been unsure, why I posted !, because of ability of cheaper services to react.

Any - AA.or.RAC - Steveieb

Additional benefits from Start announced today

Free misfuelling Cover

Unlimited call outs

Breakdowns with those without home start now covered if 1/4 mile from home.

Now Which recommended provider

Appreciated. I'm convinced.

Any - AA.or.RAC - BPL

alternate aa rac via quidco each year it takes a while to get the very large cashback