What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio - New Renault Clio Iconic TCe 90 or Used Ford Fiesta - Incindric

I'm looking to get my first car on a PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) and for it to be a supermini. Through my job I have affinity schemes with Renault , Kia and Hyundai , which gives me discounts on their new cars . The Discounts are around 15-20%.

From what I've seen, Ford Fiesta's seem to be the best supermini around at the moment. However, with the used car market currently being so expensive it will cost around £ 13,000 (2 years old , 21k miles).

I've done some research into the cars I get discounts on through the company's affinity scheme, and a new Renault Clio Iconic TCe 90 seems to fit the bill best for me. This will cost £ 14,700 including my discount.

Which would be the better option? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated too!

Renault Clio - New Renault Clio Iconic TCe 90 or Used Ford Fiesta - badbusdriver

Which would be the better option? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated too!

TBH, neither. I'm assuming the Fiesta would be am Ecoboost?, in which case reliability isn't the greatest. Same for the 0.9 turbo in the Clio.

As you are buying at two years old, in which case for most makes, you'll have one year of the manufacturers warranty left, you should be thinking about reliability.

If you must have a Fiesta, make it the 1.25, they are fine. But consider the Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift. Alternatively, if you were to get a two yearly Kia Rio, it will still have 5 years warranty left, 3 years in the case of its kissing cousin, the Hyundai i20.

Renault Clio - New Renault Clio Iconic TCe 90 or Used Ford Fiesta - daveyK_UK
Your best option would be a Dacia Sandero Comfort which is effectively a well spec’d rebadged Renault Clio for far less money

As I've heard, but I haven't heard the best things about it. I'm going to look into it further.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes it would be an ecoboost. I definitely haven't limited myself to those cars. So I do have my work cut out for me to research them all and ensure that they are within reasonable insurance bands.

But thank you very much for your help, your reply was very useful to me.

Renault Clio - New Renault Clio Iconic TCe 90 or Used Ford Fiesta - SLO76
A used car on a PCP will be expensive, typical interest rates are around 10% APR while a low rate bank loan can be had for less than 3%. Regarding buying new if you’re getting a substantial enough discount and you’re happy to keep taking another car every 3yrs when the warranty runs out then the worlds your oyster. I wouldn’t recommend a Renault as a used buy but if you like it and intend on keeping it only until the original warranty is up then go for it. Me personally, I’d rather buy a good used Japanese car like a Mazda 2 via a low rate bank loan instead.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/09/2021 at 20:42

You make good point, I'll definitely have to look into getting a loan from the bank instead.

I've heard good things about Japanese cars. I looked at the Mazda 2 but I was worried about the insurance on the 1.5 l engine, however, it turns out that it's in a similar insurance band to the competitions smaller engines.

Thank you very much for your advice, it's much appreciated.