What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - _

I used some generic baby wipes to clean some bird poo from the car and windows the other evening.

The next morning, that area of the windscreen was clear of water, so cleaned all the glass, inside and out, all of the windows again with baby wipes, and then took the car off to the self service jetwash, and then cleaned windows after with glass cleaner and kitchen roll.

Really good result!

Edited by _ORB_ on 02/09/2021 at 15:42

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Engineer Andy

I was told never to use tissues, including kitchen towels, to clean/dry glass, because it can scratch.

When I clean my car's windows, I use (once any muck, bird poo is cleaned off using an old sponge [which I then throw away] with the appropriate cleaner) a glass cleaner with an old tea towel.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Bolt

I was told never to use tissues, including kitchen towels, to clean/dry glass, because it can scratch.

I`ve been using kitchen towels for years now and never had a problem -and no scratching of the glass-, but use profesional glass cleaner as it takes any type of dirt off, saving a lot of rubbing, its the cleaner you get from double glazing shops or any glaziers and 660mls costs £3 a tin, lasts months

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Ian_SW

Baby wipes aren't made of tissue, but some plastic based fibre (which is why they must never be flushed down the loo). They are probably effectively a poor quality microfibre cloth so much softer than using tissue.

I'm surprised baby wipes did such a good job though, as I thought they were only wet with water and a very mild detergent. They can't contain any decent solvent as it wouldn't do the babies skin much good!

The IPA soaked "industrial alcohol wipes" are superb at cleaning the windscreen though, and very easily get flies, tar etc off as well as leaving a streak free finish. A bottle of IPA and a microfibre cloth works well too, but it's becoming harder to get hold of in decent quantities.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - badbusdriver

Baby wipes aren't made of tissue, but some plastic based fibre (which is why they must never be flushed down the loo).

I think most baby wipes these days are biodegradable.

I'm surprised baby wipes did such a good job though, as I thought they were only wet with water and a very mild detergent.

Not sure they actually did,

The next morning, that area of the windscreen was clear of water, so cleaned all the glass, inside and out, all of the windows again with baby wipes, and then took the car off to the self service jetwash, and then cleaned windows after with glass cleaner and kitchen roll.

Really good result!

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - madf

Vinegar in water with a mitt works very well.

(recycled from pickled onions)

Squeegee it off : looks perfect.

Why spend money when you don't need to.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - _

I also use white vinegar. 750 ml = 79 pence at Home bargains..

Howeever the windows are clean for now, and the baby wies must leave a trace of lotion which repels water.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Andrew-T

... the baby wipes must leave a trace of lotion which repels water.

Wonder why the makers intend to make babies water-repellent ? :-)

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - badbusdriver

Wonder why the makers intend to make babies water-repellent ? :-)

So the pee in the nappy doesn't cause nappy rash

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - catsdad

Bbd biodegradeable does not equate to flushable. Toilet tissue starts to break down as soon as it’s wet. Baby wipes, paper towels and the like take hours/days to start to break down and in many case weeks to fully biodegrade. So they can be biodegradable but not always soon enough. Flushing them is playing drain roulette.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Engineer Andy

Bbd biodegradeable does not equate to flushable. Toilet tissue starts to break down as soon as it’s wet. Baby wipes, paper towels and the like take hours/days to start to break down and in many case weeks to fully biodegrade. So they can be biodegradable but not always soon enough. Flushing them is playing drain roulette.

Wet wipes are apparently notorious for clogging up drains.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Manatee

What baby wipes are really good for is cleaning leather seats, especially light coloured ones that have gone grubby.

Windscreen? Waterless wash applied and rubbed off with a microfibre cloth does a decent job, the 'wax polish' film doesn't seem to cause a problem. Otherwise I use our home made kitchen spray, 50/50 white vinegar and water with a drop of washing up liquid in it which we use from a garden spray bottle, and kitchen roll.

Any - Baby wipes and glass cleaning. - Halmerend

Autoglym for me because I can use it on my windscreen and it gets rid of wiper judder.