What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - swansea_karl

Hi

A worthy used buy? 2019 models around for under 6k

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - badbusdriver

I'm assuming we are talking about the n/a 1.2?. If so, it is a reliable and hardy unit, and there is very little to fear from the rest of it. Basic, fairly spacious, and does exactly what it says on the tin!. As James May used to say, it is the 'essence of car', gives you just what you need and nothing more.

The 0.9 turbo petrol has some question marks over reliability, so I'd avoid that. The 1.5 turbo diesel could be worth a look depending on your requirements, as it is fairly reliable for a modern diesel. But ultimately, the 1.2 is the safest choice for reliability.

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - Xileno

I think the old 1.2 was phased out before 2019, replaced by the 0.9 3 cyl.

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - SLO76
A 2019 model will be running the newer 1.0 motor which is to date proven reliable but there’s aren’t really any big mileage examples around to have truly tested it. As for under £6k well it would have to be a leggy private sale at that money as a typical dealer is looking for around £8k for a 2919 example so I’d be wary.

Apologies, yes the n/a 4 cyl 1.2 was superceded by a n/a 1.0 3 cyl (not the same engine as the 0.9 turbo) around 2016/2017. Couple of BHP and around 10NM down on the 1.2, but the 1.0 makes peak torque 750rpm lower. Wouldn't imagine you'd notice the difference in most situations?.

As for under £6k well it would have to be a leggy private sale at that money as a typical dealer is looking for around £8k for a 2919 example so I’d be wary.

No 2019 Sandero's on Autotrader for £6k, but two for (just under) £6.5k. Both from dealers, both low miles (one 8.3k, the other 2.3k).

I like the Sandero. It’s quite comfy, decently practical and it’s good value both new and used. I just don’t trust the later 1.0 motors which haven’t proven themselves free of the reliability woes the earlier 0.9 turbos can suffer from yet, they’re too new. The old 1.2 petrol and 1.5 diesels can run to six figure mileages with care easy enough though and a cheap sub £3k 1.2 petrol does appeal to me. A Logan estate also makes for cheap family motoring, in fact I may try to hoover my friends when it comes time to offload.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/08/2021 at 10:52

Shame that some have mentioned reliability issues. As its the 0.9 3 Cyl that i was interested in as it offers more power than the 1.0.
A shame they do not so a 1.4.

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - Xileno

The diesel is the old 1.5 Renault unit which is tough and reliable provided servicing is done on time especially cambelt. I had that engine in a Megane and it gave good service. Unfortunately we don't get all the Dacia models in the UK, they do some useful vans which I'm sure would sell well given the demand for vans is so high at the moment.

The diesel is the old 1.5 Renault unit which is tough and reliable provided servicing is done on time especially cambelt. I had that engine in a Megane and it gave good service. Unfortunately we don't get all the Dacia models in the UK, they do some useful vans which I'm sure would sell well given the demand for vans is so high at the moment.

I would also happily take a punt on the diesel assuming your journeys aren't all short stop/start.

And yes, the lack of Dacia vans in this country is a little frustrating. Especially since the offering by Dacia's parent company Renault, the Kangoo, is hopelessly outclassed by most rivals.

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - Bromptonaut

And yes, the lack of Dacia vans in this country is a little frustrating. Especially since the offering by Dacia's parent company Renault, the Kangoo, is hopelessly outclassed by most rivals.

Is the Kangoo even still a thing in the UK market?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/08/2021 at 14:29

Is the Kangoo even still a thing in the UK market?

Sure is!.

There is actually a 'new' Kangoo, not sure when or if that will be coming to the UK. Probably not as an MPV, but presumably the van version will eventually get here?. But for the time being the 'current' Kangoo is the same one which has been around (with minor facelifts) since 2007!. There are electric or diesel options, but I'm guessing not many diesel's are sold.

Weirdly, Nissan replaced their own design of small (diesel) van, the NV200, with a rebadged Kangoo (NV250) a year so ago. The only remnants of the NV200 being the electric version which is still being offered as either a van or MPV. I say weirdly because the NV200, quite apart from being (IMO*) a better van than the Kangoo, went on sale in 2009!.

Apart from the Nissan NV250 there was also the Mercedes version, the Citan, with hints of VDP Allegro in the way the Merc grill was stuck on the front of a Kangoo(!). Looking on Merc's website though, the version based on the current Kangoo is no longer on sale, but it does say there is a new Citan coming. I don't know yet, but would assume this to be based on the new Kangoo.

(*)As standard, the NV200 had a higher payload, twin side doors (as opposed to one) and a lower rear floor.

I have been looking at the Suzuki Balenos too.

2019 model for £7800, quite a bit cheaper than an Astra or Focus.

www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/SUZUKI/BALENO/HD19VCP

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - daveyK_UK
New Kangoo available to order now , Renault don’t have plans to bring an MPV version to the UK but Mercedes will

New Citan due early 2022 which will be a rebadged Kangoo again and there will be an MPV version

New Dacia 7 seater to be revealed this week with UK orders set for mid 2022

In terms of the Sandero 1.0, they have been perfectly reliable engines so far, no issues.
Fairly economical although not much torque but then you don’t buy a city car to race around in.

I have been looking at the Suzuki Balenos too.

2019 model for £7800, quite a bit cheaper than an Astra or Focus.

www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/SUZUKI/BALENO/HD19VCP

Not really a direct Focus or Astra rival, the Baleno is more a slightly stretched Fiesta/Corsa.

But I'd have no qualms going for the Baleno here (pity about the colour), I'm sure it would give you no trouble at all.

Just had another look at that Baleno. Quite high miles for a car like that, of that age. I'm wondering if it was a hire car?.

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - Steve Marsh

Aren't most nearly new cars at car supermarkets ex hire cars?

Around 95% of used stock under 4yrs old is ex lease or ex PCP whether at car supermarket or main dealer. As long as it has a full main dealer service history and no signs of poor quality paint repairs then there’s nothing to fear.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/08/2021 at 22:20

Dacia Sandero - Buying Advice - alan1302

Nothing to fear from an ex-hire car...my Hyunndai i10 was one...got it at 9 months old and sold it when it was 7 years old and had done 140,000 miles...was a great car.