What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
When bagnernomics goes bad - OceanMan

I recall reading a thread here a while ago about people's best experiences with bangernomics. Buying an old jag for £6.50 and running it for 10 years then selling it on at a large profit etc. That was nice and reassuring to read, however my own experiences haven't been so good.

I started a thread here a few months ago, lamenting my £700+ MOT bill on my banger I'd already spent a couple of thousand on in two or three years. Now that car needs another expensive repair and I thought I'd try to cheer myself up by reading other people's terrible experiences. Shameful schadenfreude I know.

Does anyone have any worse experiences than this, spending almost £3k on a £1000 car just to keep it running?

When bagnernomics goes bad - _

Neighbours with a £10.000 car (current value) faced with a £4000 ish repair bill offered £100 as a trade in.

When bagnernomics goes bad - daveyjp

The idea wirh bangernomics is to buy the best you can as cheaply as possible and run it as long as you can.

If you then suffer a major failure you simply rinse and repeat, not pour loads of money into it.

When bagnernomics goes bad - badbusdriver

This is more about not understanding what bangernomics is, or means, rather than anything else. The whole USP is that you've bought a car cheap enough (not much more than £1k, but ideally less) that you can write off the car rather than pay out on any big bills. You then replace it with something else equally cheap and run it till you are faced with another big bill, then repeat the above.

To do anything else isn't bangernomics.

Edited by badbusdriver on 22/08/2021 at 12:19

When bagnernomics goes bad - madf

Some of the above owners appear to have no common sense but loadsofmoney

The prerequisite for successful bangeromics is car nous and an ability to write of your losses.

Edited by madf on 22/08/2021 at 12:31

When bagnernomics goes bad - Engineer Andy

The prerequisite for successful bangeromics is car nous and an ability to write of your losses.

Indeed - isn't normally the best sort of 'banger' to buy the one that looks on the outside to be a bit shabby (rust here and there, but no structural issues), but meshanically sound and you don't care much about any electronic gizmos or that it doesn't have much of them to go wrong.

As you say, if it's bought for proverbial peanuts, then the first sign of a failure of a major component you need to keep it going (other than perhaps the battery or tyres), the car gets sold or scrapped.

A former colleague used to do this - I don't think he ever bought a car whilst I was working with him for more than £250 (around 12-15 years ago).

When bagnernomics goes bad - edlithgow

Well, he is writing of his losses.

That he failed to write off his losses suggests he isn't doing bangernomics as its usually understood, but then he isn't claiming to.

He's claiming to be doing bagnernomics badly.

Since I dunno what bagnernomics is, I can't fault him for that,

When bagnernomics goes bad - OceanMan

I totally understand, but isn't it difficult to know when to walk away? If you buy a car for £1k then get stuck with a £400 bill months later, it's hard to know whether to scrap the car and risk a similar bill on the next one you buy, surely?

I guess I was misusing the phrase "bangernomics" when I should have just said "a cheap car"..I got this car off my girlfriend, so I obviously hadn't shopped around looking for the best deal.

When bagnernomics goes bad - Bolt

so I obviously hadn't shopped around looking for the best deal.

Its getting harder unless you know the person/car you are buying, to find the good deal as most cars these days except the odd few, are not very well looked after either body wise or mechanically.

and a lot are risky, most I looked at last year and some I`ve seen for other people this year have been according to owner are in immaculate condition when they are terrible paint wise with many dents, even the mechanicals need a lot to be desired but according to them there isn`t anything wrong with them.....?

When bagnernomics goes bad - newguy2015

My 1998 MX5 broke down a couple odd months ago at a set of traffic lights. Turned out it needed a new battery. That incident cost £160.

I did think about writing a letter to Mazda to complain!

i think the issue us knowing when to stop spending money on an old banger. We might just get too attached and tell ourself that spending 500 quid now will get me another couple of years free motoring.

My 1998 MX5 broke down a couple odd months ago at a set of traffic lights. Turned out it needed a new battery. That incident cost £160.

I did think about writing a letter to Mazda to complain!

i think the issue us knowing when to stop spending money on an old banger. We might just get too attached and tell ourself that spending 500 quid now will get me another couple of years free motoring.

My wife runs our 2003 Yaris D4D. I assume it is a banger by anyone's standard. Maximum repair cost of any single item - over 15 years or so of ownership - was a set of 4 glowplugs £40.

But I diy everything so Labour is free. (and it is reliable and rust proofed

Edited by madf on 22/08/2021 at 13:30

When bagnernomics goes bad - Andrew-T

Bangernomics is about old cars, usually 10 or more years old. There are two attitudes to old cars: [1] its owner sees it as reasonably close to good condition and running order to be worth spending money to keep it that way; [2] simply a cheap means of transport which can become disposable at any time. Version [2] is Bangernomics, which may be accompanied by a slight sense of shame at adding to the communal stock of waste.

It is possible to switch between [1] and [2] as time proceeds - the car may prove to be surprisingly likeable and reliable (and has therefore saved money), or the opposite. As in other things in life, you pays your money .... No 10-year-old car has a predictable future.

When bagnernomics goes bad - SLO76
Luck does play a part. Of four cheap sub £2k cars I’ve bought for friends and family in the last few months, three have cost nowt but one, a very tidy low mileage 2011 Suzuki Swift has been a bit of a pain in the a*** costing nearly £600 in repairs recently. It still means the car is costing about £1500 which is cheap enough for a good 2011 Swift but the £775 Micra, £1900 Nissan Note and £1300 Mitsubishi Colt have all been flawless so far.
When bagnernomics goes bad - Will deBeast

Our best:

In 2004, we were offered £1k trade in on our 1997 mondeo estate.

We gave it to a friend who was slightly down on his luck. It lasted a further ten years with only minor work.

Our worst:

I took the engine out of my triumph 1500 (like a dolomite, but front wheel drive) and trusted a local garage to rebuild it. Not only did it cost way more than the estimate, the big ends were knocking again within 500 miles. Off to the scrapyard.

The next time one of my bangers needed a new engine, I bought an identical model car (but rusty, with a few months of MOT) and ran around in it for a month or so, before doing the engine transplant.

Our best:

In 2004, we were offered £1k trade in on our 1997 mondeo estate.

We gave it to a friend who was slightly down on his luck. It lasted a further ten years with only minor work.

Our worst:

I took the engine out of my triumph 1500 (like a dolomite, but front wheel drive) and trusted a local garage to rebuild it. Not only did it cost way more than the estimate, the big ends were knocking again within 500 miles. Off to the scrapyard.

The next time one of my bangers needed a new engine, I bought an identical model car (but rusty, with a few months of MOT) and ran around in it for a month or so, before doing the engine transplant.

I think part of a success recipe (though not nearly as important as "be lucky") might be knowing when to bodge..or not to bother.

Long time ago I was part of a 3-flatmate "syndicate" that bought a Triumph 1300 (like the above, but 200cc less) at auction, for 2 of us to learn to drive on.

It lost engine oil, and it also leaked oil from the differential breather hole. I deduced that there was a crack in the sump bottom, which was also the top of the diff housing. These things were basically a RWD design except the drivetrain was bent back on itself under the engine.

Faced with this problem today I'd epoxy up the breather hole, maybe putting a breather pipe in with an outlet above the sump level, and leave it at that. The final drive was supposed to get hypoid 90 but I doubt SAE 20W50 would kill it very quickly.

What we actually did was pull another gearbox from a scrap 1300 (getting gazumped on price once we got it out), remove the engine and gearbox (a heavy combo with a cast iron block) to our 3rd floor flat, dismantle both gearboxes, re-assemble one drivetrain in the un-cracked case from the "best" gears of both (this was of course a mistake, since wear will be accelerated in such a mixed set) and put it back in the car.

It worked , which in retrospect I still find astonishing, but it was all insanely difficult for a first foray into car mechanics, and probably completely unnecessary.

I can't remember if we received counsels of perfection, or did it to ourselves, but the experience taught me that, if a jobs worth doing, that doesn't mean its worth doing any better than needed.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/08/2021 at 07:54

When bagnernomics goes bad - Warning

I bought a 11 year old, which only had 28,000 miles on it. I did pay a premium to get a low mileage version. I still have it after 16 years. it was only meant to be a temporary car!

I have been hunting around for a newer car, but when I see a 4 year car with 28,000. They will often be in run-down condition with too much wear and tear. To me, it looks like they have been clocked.

(Mine is a Nissan. The kind before Renault had an input).

Edited by Warning on 22/08/2021 at 18:17

When bagnernomics goes bad - Rerepo

I think Bangernomics can work quite well with an old petrol engined Jap car. With an old Jag, not so much....!

When bagnernomics goes bad - Big John

I've done bangernomics in the past with some success over the years but I backed away from that strategy for a few reasons:-

1. Safety - When my son was a toddler in a car seat Mrs BJ in a 1984 Polo had a parking speed conversation with a concrete pillar - end result was car seat was tilted over and rear OS side of car stoved in. Later on after I removed plastic trim the side of the car popped out when I touched it and you could barely notice any sign of incident. If that had been any sort of a real bump the outcome wouldn't have been good. Result was the car had to go and be replaced with a safer more modern replacement.
  2. Reliability - Would I trust a banger with lots of cross Europe trips - A previous old 1990 Passat started suffering CV joint issues a few hundred miles into a 2k miles trip. I wont recant the whole story but it was stressful. It was about 10 years old at the time and it was actually an inner CV joint that had started to fail - I've since found out on older cars the inner CV joint above the exhaust eventually suffers from dried out grease.
  3. Long hard commute - would break anything not up to the job.
  4. I've got bored with doing DIY work on cars.

I then reverted to buying newish but end of model cars(cheaper/well sorted) and running for about 10 years. Overall I've generally managed about £100 / month inc purchase & service/repair. I've done this for a few decades now but I've always regularly had them serviced (never long life service!)

However I suppose I'm a good source of future bangernomics cars (well every 10 years) as at the end when I get rid you are left with a well serviced / looked after car. My previous 2003 Superb sold in 2015 is still going strong under new ownership albeit looking a little bit rusty now. I would be potentially doing the same again in 2025 but post Covid I'm no longer doing the long commute!

When bangeromics goes bad - Xileno

My old Focus which is almost 15 now puts me in the bangeromics category although I've never really thought of it like that. If a job needs doing then it gets done, cambelt, brake fluid the lot. I've had it almost from new and it's only on 85000 miles so probably will go on for a bit longer yet and it has the Yamaha engine that our valued contributor SLO recommends. I have a good local garage where I know the family, they probably don't do things cheaper for me but I know they won't rip me off (well I hope not)

The car has never given any trouble apart from leaks into the boot. I was tracking one down a couple of days ago and found it was the rubber washer where the rear light fitting screws into had perished. A quick dab of roof & gutter sealant I had in the garage has sorted it, perhaps not the neatest of jobs but you don't see it when the light unit is screwed back n position. I only do a few thousand miles a year so I see no reason to change it although I like the Evoque PHEV, I will have to see what I can find down the back of the sofa...

When bangeromics goes bad - Alby Back
I have needed to do quite a high annual mileage for many years, whether that will continue is uncertain for more than a couple of reasons, but, I have run a lot of cars to 200,000 miles fairly quickly, usually over a period of five years from new.

By and large, they have all done it without anything other than routine maintenance and replacement of consumable parts.

Is that a form of bangernomics maybe? Certainly, they have tended (with the notable exception of the Mercs which still seem to hold some value) to be more or less worthless by the time they reach that mileage.
When bangeromics goes bad - John F
I have run a lot of cars to 200,000 miles fairly quickly, usually over a period of five years from new.......Is that a form of bangernomics maybe?

Certainly not. Assuming a £30K (at least the sort of price I guess a chap like Alby would probably have paid for a comfortable new car) drop from new to 'virtually worthless' , the cost of such a car works out at around 15p per mile.

The whole point of bangernomics is twofold - to get both the lowest pence-per-mile cost from the investment, and also to keep the investment in the wasting asset (car) as low as possible, enabling the opportunity cost of a more advantageous investment or indulgence.

Like Xileno, we have an even older old Focus which cost £7000 and has given us 125,000 miles. That's less than 6p per mile. Not exactly 'bangernomics', more like 'conservation'.

Can anyone think of a word to describe 'buy the best VFM car you can afford and make it last'?

When bangeromics goes bad - Xileno

"Can anyone think of a word to describe 'buy the best VFM car you can afford and make it last'?"

Sensible? ;-)

There's no right or wrong though is there, it's all about preferences and priorities. I know people who simply must have the latest model, it's the 'big thing' in their life and that's fine there's nothing wrong with any strategy if it pleases the owner.

Oddly, I never meant to keep my car for so long, it was supposed to be a stop-gap car but I ended up quite liking it, it has served me well with no breakdowns or mechanical problems at all. As I do so few miles (even before the pandemic) there almost seems no point changing it.

When bangeromics goes bad - Big John
they have tended (with the notable exception of the Mercs which still seem to hold some value) to be more or less worthless by the time they reach that mileage.

Not as many miles/year as you Alby but in the past I've changed at 10 years and approaching 200k miles and like you I've always presumed any car to be near worthless at the end of my ownership.

When bagnernomics goes bad - bathtub tom

Safety - When my son was a toddler in a car seat Mrs BJ in a 1984 Polo had a parking speed conversation with a concrete pillar

SWMBO in a £50 Fiat 850 T-boned a Cavalier that pulled out in front of her. No injury to occupants of Fiat, but Cavalier driver was lucky not to lose his leg.

1. Reliability - Would I trust a banger with lots of cross Europe trips - A previous old 1990 Passat started suffering CV joint issues a few hundred miles into a 2k miles trip. I wont recant the whole story but it was stressful. It was about 10 years old at the time and it was actually an inner CV joint that had started to fail - I've since found out on older cars the inner CV joint above the exhaust eventually suffers from dried out grease.

All the FWD cars I've owned had the inner CV (tripode) joint in the diff/gearbox and ran in oil.

All the FWD cars I've owned had the inner CV (tripode) joint in the diff/gearbox and ran in oil.

As far as I know all VAG fwd cars have greased inner(bolted) and outer CV joints. I think Mrs BJ's Fiat Panda does as well - although they push in past an oil seal - that leaks when disturbed!

Edited by Big John on 22/08/2021 at 23:13

Hmm,

I've been thinking about this more. I've been a buying new/nearly new and run until 10 years old for some time. HOWEVER would I do the same in 2025 when theoretically I'd be due another car. I'm not so sure - if I bought a nearly new ICE car then it'd have a particulate filter, primary controls on a touch screen, fancy radar tech that costs a fortune to sort if you hit a pheasant. It'd be fine for a few years ownership but possibly not ten!

Might be joining the bangernomics club again then - especially as my annual mileage has somewhat reduced now I've got rid of THAT commute . It might be that I keep running my current 2014 Superb which has 95k miles on - would have been much higher by now without Covid

When bagnernomics goes bad - expat

The biggest cost is depreciation and the biggest risk with a cheap older car is that it hasn't been looked after properly and maybe has some lurking problem. My philosophy is buy a new or 18 month old car and look after it well. I keep them till they become uneconomic. My current daily driver is a 2003 ford and I got it in 2005. It still runs fine so I have no plans to replace it. My previous car was bought at 18 month old, kept for 25 years of daily use and only disposed of because I wanted automatic transmission and air conditioning. I know I am soft but air con is desirable when it gets to 45'C as it does every summer here in Australia.

I agree with BJ about all the potential hassles with particulate filters and electronic distractions. Also the threatened change to electric for new cars in 2030 will surely be accompanied by increased fuel charges and ULEZ restrictions so why get a new ICE car now?

When bagnernomics goes bad - Terry W

The most exoensive ownership model is buy new (PCP or cash) and upgrade every 3 years. Cost pa is ~£3k pa for a mid-range hatch.

Personally I tend to go for buy at 12-24 onths old, keep for 7-10 years depending on mileage, and perception of major impending costs. First few years will be under manufacturers warranty and I know whether I mechanically abuse it.

Last Octavia traded in was 10 years old, 140k. No more than £200 spent on non-routine servicing and repairs over 10 years. Increasing potential for expensive repairs. - clutch, exhaust, suspension, steering, aircon etc. Total cost pa ~£1000.

This is about the same as bangernomics. Buy a car for £1000. If fortunate it may last a few years with minor repairs. Less lucky and it may be scrap after a couple of months.

Ignore the rose tinted spectacles - "bought it for £700, ran it for 5 years, did not miss a beat". Over time bangers will cost ~£1k pa unless you are diy capable or an extraordinarily good judge of obselete automobilia.

Over time bangers will cost ~£1k pa unless you are diy capable or an extraordinarily good judge of obselete automobilia.

Assuming basic physical and mental capacity I'd think anyone is "DIY capable".

The "learning experience" I describe above (far harder than any car repair I've attempted since) was carried out without any prior experience. As the son of landless peasant flat dwellers I had hardly any "garden shed" background of domestic tool use at all. We bought a socket set, a Haynes manual (the Internyet wasn't really a factor in them days) and we chose to be "diy capable", just as people who are not "diy capable" choose not to be. It aint rocket science.

Of course nowadays it might be computer science, and the question of DIY capability might not arise, since it might not be realistic for anyone.

When bagnernomics goes bad - barney100

The bangernomics route I have taken is unplanned by hanging on to my 2008 V70 at 154k. Now I have a banger but I know everything that has been done in the last few years. It isn't real bangernomics but very satisfying, hopefully go on for a while yet.

When bagnernomics goes bad - John F

The bangernomics route I have taken is unplanned by hanging on to my 2008 V70 at 154k. Now I have a banger but I know everything that has been done in the last few years. It isn't real bangernomics but very satisfying, hopefully go on for a while yet.

Very wise, but, as above, it's not bangernomics if you bought it new. Assuming it cost somewhere between 20 and 30K and is now only worth a few thou, that's somewhere between 10 and 16 p per mile, much the same as Alby's 200K milers. Hang on in there!

When bagnernomics goes bad - barney100

Bought in 2016 for 8k with £500 px on old car. Had a nasty bash from a van which put it off the road for months but eventually came back looking good. Done appx 90k in that time, gets a service and mot every year, did the belt and water pump so fingers crossed. Probably worth £1200 now.

When bagnernomics goes bad - John F

Bought in 2016 for 8k with £500 px on old car. Had a nasty bash from a van which put it off the road for months but eventually came back looking good. Done appx 90k in that time, gets a service and mot every year, did the belt and water pump so fingers crossed. Probably worth £1200 now.

That looks much better....at around 8p per mile. Banger- eco- nomics really isn't working unless you're in the single figures.

That looks much better....at around 8p per mile. Banger- eco- nomics really isn't working unless you're in the single figures.

Just done my sums against my previous 2003 Superb (back of fag packet bought 18months old £8k run for 10 years 160k miles) and in my 10 years of ownership excluding fuel / insurance/tax but inc servicing/repairs (approx) comes to about 7.5p / mile. Does that just about join the club?

Got some way to go with my current Superb bought for £10.8k at 14 months old 6 years ago. Still looking good(no rust)/ still running well now it's done over 95k miles. Might be a keeper, time will tell - especially as my mileage/year has now halved.

Interesting topic - I feel a change of car ownership tactics coming my way,

Edited by Big John on 23/08/2021 at 21:41

When bagnernomics goes bad - daveyK_UK
I know of a chap who purchased a bmw 730 06 plate in the May of the first lockdown for £700 , and spent the rest of the first lockdown polishing it and telling everyone how good it was.

Fast forward to September 2020 and he begrudgingly admitted to spending £3k in repairs to get through the MOT.

It’s had another electrical gremlin since which was not cheap.

Lovely car, but a ticking time bomb.
When bagnernomics goes bad - Andrew-T

Some day it may no longer even tick .... :-)

Some day it may no longer even tick .... :-)

From my time clearing explosive ordnance from the Maplin Sands (London prospective 3rd airport that never was) I learned that the German stuff was much more likely to go bang.

When bagnernomics goes bad - pd
I know of a chap who purchased a bmw 730 06 plate in the May of the first lockdown for £700 , and spent the rest of the first lockdown polishing it and telling everyone how good it was. Fast forward to September 2020 and he begrudgingly admitted to spending £3k in repairs to get through the MOT. It’s had another electrical gremlin since which was not cheap. Lovely car, but a ticking time bomb.

To be fair if it's cost him £3700 it's not terrible value and probably worth £3k to the right buyer anyway.

When bagnernomics goes bad - Steveieb

Can’t see many backroomers admitting to having much going bad with their purchases so I thought I would buck the trend.

Always wanted an A2 and found a lovely Tdi 90 in Piedmont Red.

My friend who was Customer Service Manager at Audi warned me against buying an A2 as he had all the flack when they were launched.

One thing after another went wrong with the car, mostly small irritating things but this coupled with the appalling ride and noisy three cylinder engine told me to get shut. Later finding that the trade avoid dealing with the A2 because of its terrible reliability history.

Taking a Corolla Verso petrol in part exchange , which I am warming to because of its smooth ride, great fuel consumption and command post driving position .

Can’t see many backroomers admitting to having much going bad with their purchases so I thought I would buck the trend.

Always wanted an A2 and found a lovely Tdi 90 in Piedmont Red.

My friend who was Customer Service Manager at Audi warned me against buying an A2 as he had all the flack when they were launched.

One thing after another went wrong with the car, mostly small irritating things but this coupled with the appalling ride and noisy three cylinder engine told me to get shut. Later finding that the trade avoid dealing with the A2 because of its terrible reliability history.

Taking a Corolla Verso petrol in part exchange , which I am warming to because of its smooth ride, great fuel consumption and command post driving position .

I test drove an A2 whjen launched.

The demo car would not chnage into second when teh car was cold.

The rise was terrible.

I bought a Yaris instead which is still going

(A Read of the A2 forum years later persuaded me I had made the correct choice)

When bagnernomics goes bad - Steveieb
The A2 owners club were amazingly supportive and most were owner / mechanics who loved tinkering with their cars .
Like most clubs parts were sold on the ads section and regular trouble spots of which there were many were highlighted.
The history of the car was interesting in that in its concept designed to take four adults from Munich to Mikan on 100 litres of fuel.
All aluminium body fitted to a space frame chassis , in the same purpose built factory as the A8 and racking up a loss of £4000 on every car sold ,so maybe a reason for cost cutting .

Such a great concept , poorly executed !

Thank goodness I kept my A4. B6 1.9 Tdi 130 which continues to give great service and now with a fully functional air con system thanks to the lads at Compressor Tech at Warwick !