What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - Les Smy

I had a ford fiesta 2017 Ecoboost, I hit a curb on a roundabout going at about 30MPH and the front left wheel is bent inward. The passenger side SEAT airbag went off and the Passenger curtain airbag also went off. Anyone help me in regards too if the car is a write off? I have a picture off the wheel but you cant see inside the arch just how bent the wheel is. The alloy and tire seemed fine but i suppose you cant tell until there opened up. Can anyone help?

Here are the images: i.imgur.com/qlePogG.jpg

Image 2: i.imgur.com/3u85N7u.jpg

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - elekie&a/c doctor
If it’s got serious mechanical damage , possibly gearbox , then yes , it’s likely to be a write off .
Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - catsdad

From the Reg no I can see this is a 1.6 ST and the MOT site shows it as low mileage. Autotrader suggest a selling price in good order of about £17k.

With that sort of potential value an insurer may well repair it but without knowing the full damage we can only speculate.

Out of interest are you hoping it’s written off, or that it will be repaired?

No, hoping its fixable as it is my first car ahahah also its a 1.0 Ecoboost ST Line not a 1.6? Est value is around 8750 with current mileage :) The reg is: BP17 XNX

Edited by Les Smy on 19/08/2021 at 15:18

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - catsdad

Sorry I misread the reg in the picture. As you say it’s worth a lot less than the ST 1.6 that I mistook it for. Good luck with getting a settlement or solution.

What about if its just suspension? will it be just as expensive?

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - bathtub tom

If the knock was hard enough to break a suspension arm, then the drive shaft will probably have been driven into the diff/gearbox. Who knows what sort of damage that may have caused.

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - daveyjp

Front wheel drive means investigating gearbox problems, seat and curtain airbags mean lots of interior work. I doubt it will be repaired.

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - Rerepo

Very difficult to say without proper inspection of the vehicle. I would hazard a guess its economically repairable using secondhand airbags and interior trim. Even if the gearbox is damaged you can get a used one for few hundred pounds. Insurance co. might be keen to write it off though.

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - Brit_in_Germany

If the cost of the (repair + hire car) is more than the (value of the undamaged car - sale value as a scrapper), it will be written off.

Yh i know ahahah just pretty clueless when it comes to mechanics and all that who knew an airbag repair was so expensive ahahah thanks anyway :)

Ford Fiesta - Is my car a write off? - Andrew-T

... who knew an airbag repair was so expensive ?

You can't 'repair' an airbag, only replace it with a 'new' one. Those cost hundreds each IIRC.

Really? i thought you could just use puncture repair and blow into it?