What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Don1988

Doesn't look as though this site will ever review it - but it still seems to be reviewing some cars

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - _

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-viii/

ownerswww.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/volkswagen/golf.../

Edited by _ORB_ on 14/08/2021 at 09:00

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - catsdad
Yes but Don has a good point. The review is basically a press release before the car was available to look at, let alone drive. I am very surprised there is no review on the site that is written by someone who has driven it. Hopefully it will be properly reviewed soon.
New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Engineer Andy
Yes but Don has a good point. The review is basically a press release before the car was available to look at, let alone drive. I am very surprised there is no review on the site that is written by someone who has driven it. Hopefully it will be properly reviewed soon.

Sadly, since the site initially went into administration and after the takeover by heycar, there hasn't been much in the way of real car reviews/test drives, compounded by the issues surrounding the pandemic for the site and industry as a whole.

The same as you describe has been a feature for over two years, with a number of cars I'd consider buying not having anything more than the PR release, many (including those actually reviewed before the problems) still that have incomplete or incorrect data (manufacturers' website don't always give all the info away either), meaning I'd have to go to other sites for a review, some of which are fine, some limited in what they review for cars (often just the performance/handling and looks and little on the parcticalities), and a good number I wouldn't trust to review anything.

I just hope that things improve sooner rather than later so that things can go back to 'normal' with the site.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - barney100

Seems lot for a 1 litre Golf. I aren't keen on touchscreens either.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - SLO76
I can think of far better things to do with the £24,000 that the base model 1.0 petrol costs.
New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Engineer Andy
I can think of far better things to do with the £24,000 that the base model 1.0 petrol costs.

I too have been amazed at how expensive new cars have got, and most got that way pre-pandemic. I remember some del miles Euro imports of the previous gen Golf in 1.4TSi GT for going for £17k and base model 1.0/1.2TSIs for about £12k on Motorpoint about 3 years ago. That was with about 25% or so off the RRP. The difference also cannot be just down to us not being in the EU/£ value as it appears price rose considerably on the Continent as well.

No way would I now buy a base model car which is not much more spritely than my current one (likely with no discount) for £24k.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - elekie&a/c doctor
Friend of mine was looking to buy one of these . Went to the dealer last week, sat in the car , and decided it was not for him . Salesman asked why , and my friend said he can’t do cars without buttons. Everything is touch screen .
New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Lee Power

As a current 308 T9 owner - I'm not a fan of everything being accessed via a touchscreen & my next vehicle choice will have psychical heating controls.

Edited by Lee Power on 14/08/2021 at 13:27

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Big John

I'm not a fan of everything being accessed via a touchscreen & my next vehicle choice will have psychical heating controls.

100% agree

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - SLO76

I'm not a fan of everything being accessed via a touchscreen & my next vehicle choice will have psychical heating controls.

100% agree

This has great road safety implications. The over-complex heating and ice controls in swmbo’s XC60 are very distracting compared to my old Toyota with its simple rotary controls.
New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - _

No motoring journalist will depart from the "press release" style anymore.

Remember the "NEW" jaguars that broke down on test a few years back in Portugal, quickly glossed over,

Editors and shareholders want advertising revenue. end of story.

Would I have any prduct where the only wat to control heating and coolin etc is via a touchscreen onlt menu and submenu system.

No way.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - badbusdriver

Remember the "NEW" jaguars that broke down on test a few years back in Portugal, quickly glossed over

Could have been worse, remember on Top Gear a few years ago when road testing the new Alpine and it went on fire, spectacularly!

b6bf62f23b_alpine-tiop-gear-brand-3.jpeg

Oops!.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - alan1302

No motoring journalist will depart from the "press release" style anymore.

R

The 'review' that you posted is more of an overview/preview of the car rather than a review.

Is a strange car for the site not to have given a proper review on though considering what an important car the Golf is in the market.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Dingle232

This has great road safety implications. The over-complex heating and ice controls in swmbo’s XC60 are very distracting compared to my old Toyota with its simple rotary controls.

I actually sold an XC60 for that very reason. I found the complete reliance on touchscreen control for pretty much everything a real safety issue . Volvo laud the fact that the voice control is good enough but I didn't find it so.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Hugh Watt

For medium heat, presumably. :-)

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - corax

As a current 308 T9 owner - I'm not a fan of everything being accessed via a touchscreen & my next vehicle choice will have psychical heating controls.

The base model had physical heating controls - it took a while for me to find an interior picture of one, and I doubt there are many, if any, in this country.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - Terry W

I also have a 308 with mostly touch screen controls. Doing anything on the move is distracting and difficult withoute normal sensory feedback.

However I mostly question why one would need to do so - lights and wipers are auto and rarely need intervention. Entertainment is with steering wheel controls.

Aircon temperatiure is generally set and forget - why would one normally want to change it.

The only thing the screen gets used for is sat-nav (usually before I set off) and vehicle settings - why do I need to adjust the clock or door locking whilst I am driving?

Sensibly the rear screen defrost and windscreen air are button related as these are the only two functions which may sporadically be used enroute and cannot easily be automated.

New 2020 Golf - Golf 2020 - badbusdriver

I also have a 308 with mostly touch screen controls. Doing anything on the move is distracting and difficult withoute normal sensory feedback.

However I mostly question why one would need to do so

Any couple who's opinion on interior temperature differs, any family where kids might engage in outside activities, anyone who suffers from hot or cold flushes, anyone who may get a migraine while driving.

I'm sure there are other scenario's, but that is just of the top my head.