What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - BPL
Ok so for driver and front passenger comfort how much difference between the Superb Sportline 190 and Octavia vRS? Seat length same feels the same apart from the extra side pads in the vRS. £23K vs £28k if i can find one. I can't decide. I won't be taking many back seat passengers. Your expert opinions appreciated. :-)
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - badbusdriver

If I wasn't going to be taking many rear passengers, I would choose something smaller than either.

Seriously though, choose whichever you prefer. I doubt there is going to be much difference to the way they drive, beyond the Octavia (presumably) being a bit faster.

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - sammy1

The VRS is the better all round car. The extra length of the Superb is a problem to park in many instances. The VRS is comfortable and rides well and the later 245bhp is desirable. Both are good cars and it is a case of horses for courses as you say. The Octavia with any engine is the Ideal size car for most needs

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - Alby Back
Probably down to whether you prefer to whizz or waft really. I used to be very much in favour of whizz, but I'm now much more of a wafter. As a rule of thumb, the latter is kinder to your licence.

;-)
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - Big John

For the driver it can depend on how tall you are. I'm 6ft4" and find the Superb much more comfortable as it has bigger front doors and the B pillar is further back. As per other comments I also love the waft factor!

Edited by Big John on 11/08/2021 at 20:28

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - NAthan smith
I have the superb sportline with memory seats. Very comfortable lots of adjustment. Driven 800 miles this week and still fresh as a daisy. Car is very quiet and comfortable at motorway speeds at 80mph just touching 2000 rpm with auto gearbox
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - Alby Back
I have the superb sportline with memory seats. Very comfortable lots of adjustment. Driven 800 miles this week and still fresh as a daisy. Car is very quiet and comfortable at motorway speeds at 80mph just touching 2000 rpm with auto gearbox

Memory seats are about the best automotive invention ever in my humble. Especially if more than one person uses the vehicle on any kind of regular basis. I confess to being outrageously OCD about my seating position, it has to be "just so" and on cars without memory seats it can take me a week to get them back to "perfect". ;-)
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - RichT54

I remember reading comments from some members here that the Octavia can suffer from noticeable road noise due to insufficient sound proofing. However, I don't know if that would apply to the vRS.

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - Big John

I remember reading comments from some members here that the Octavia can suffer from noticeable road noise due to insufficient sound proofing. However, I don't know if that would apply to the vRS.

With all these cars it depends on the model and tyres fitted. My son's Octavia (16 plate) is pretty quiet even re road noise although I'd say my Superb (14 plate) is quieter. Both are poverty spec versions though with tall profile 205/55 r16 tyres

Edited by Big John on 11/08/2021 at 20:54

Petrol VRSs seem hard to find and priced more over book than Superb 190s at the moment.
Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - Ian_SW

If you're not bothered about space, also look at the Leon with the 2.0TSI 190. It's probably cheaper than either the Superb or the vRS.

I ended up with one as a courtesy car last year and it was both surprisingly quick and frugal, doing nearly 50mpg with what would have been hot hatch performance 10 years ago.

Annoyingly, it's not possible to get the 2.0TSI 190 in the Octavia, despite on paper it being a good engine for that car.

Other thing to think about is whether you want an auto or manual. The Octavia vRS is available with a manual gearbox, as is the Leon, but not the Superb which only comes as an auto.

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - NowWheels

"Both are poverty spec versions though with tall profile 205/55 r16 tyres"

In my view, that is not poverty spec. It's sane spec.

There is a current fad for plusher variants being fitted as standard with low-profile tyres which have a harsher ride, shorter life, and get damaged more easily. In most cases, there is not even an option to switch to higher profile tyres.

So if you buy a new car, you can pay lots more for a variant with fancier trim and added comfort and more toys ... but it will be wrecked by a jarring ride. Bonkers.

This fad is only about 20 years old. How long until it passes?

Edited by NowWheels on 12/08/2021 at 22:42

Skoda Superb - Superb vs vRS - badbusdriver

"Both are poverty spec versions though with tall profile 205/55 r16 tyres"

In my view, that is not poverty spec. It's sane spec.

There is a current fad for plusher variants being fitted as standard with low-profile tyres which have a harsher ride, shorter life, and get damaged more easily. In most cases, there is not even an option to switch to higher profile tyres.

So if you buy a new car, you can pay lots more for a variant with fancier trim and added comfort and more toys ... but it will be wrecked by a jarring ride. Bonkers.

This fad is only about 20 years old. How long until it passes?

I am no fan of the Range Rover Evoque, and this is exactly the type of car I'd expect to have wheels of an enormous profile with 'elastic band' tyres. But one of my customers has one, and a neighbour of another has one too. Both have relatively small diameter wheels with tyres sporting an unfashionably deep sidewall. Going by what I read, the Evoque rides pretty well anyway, so with tyres like these, it must be very cushy!.

I bought the superb. It's just very comfortable. and goes ok same weight as vRS. vRSs are silly money ATM. Change left over for an mx5....