What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tesla Model S - Tesla - kiss (keep it simple)

I recently hired a Tesla model S for a day. It was an 18th birthday treat for my daughter (and a belated one for me)

Here are my thoughts, good and not so good.

Good.

1. Amazing effortless silent acceleration.

2. Nice interior (but maybe not £75k nice)

3. Huge, clear multi function display screen. (wipers etc still on stalks)

4. Easy charging with Tesla Superchargers.

5. Positive handling.

6. Big sunroof.

7. Excellent regen braking, hardly used the pedal at all.

Not so good

1. £75k

2. Road noise. Not awful but not in luxury car bracket.

3. Quite wide.

4. Limited range, this was the 75 model and at the recommended 80% charge it was stated as 220 miles. Latest version is 100 kWh so presumably about 290 miles.

5. Sat Nav got off to a bad start, had to use the phone.

6. Accidentally put car in neutral when I flicked the “gear” selector instead of the wipers.

As a main car my question would be “would I take it to the Alps?” Probably yes at a pinch but I would be thinking carefully about charging stops. We normally stop for coffee/lunch every 150/200 motorway miles so as long as the Supercharger network is working fine, no problems.

There is no way I will be able to afford a new one, so used would be the only option. I have faith in the batteries, but the rest of the car? Some simple maintenance/repair jobs seem to be very expensive indeed. Maybe a model 3 when the kids have left home?

Tesla Model S - Tesla - Xileno

I doubt many buy new, it's all about the monthly payments. I've heard the fit and finish isn't quite up to the best at the price point but maybe the newer ones are better. The Model 3 ticks the boxes better for me, I'm seeing more and more around where I live (West Wilts).

Was your daughter able to have a go?

Tesla Model S - Tesla - elekie&a/c doctor
The build quality on these reminds me of Lotus models from the mid 80s . The interior trims “just about fit”. The switch gear on the column and the window lift controls are lifted from a Mercedes, so no problem there . My biggest issue with these , is the only job you can do yourself is top up the windscreen wash reservoir. The diagnostic system is not obd compliant and needs Tesla’s own software.
Tesla Model S - Tesla - kiss (keep it simple)

No, you have to be 30 to hire on from the company we used. I employed her as systems operator (voice activated of course)