What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - Fiesta1234

Got a slight leak on my replacement exhaust muffler/ backbox. It's one of them slip on joints and it's leaking in one certain spot. I have tried using different style clamps and loads of exhaust putty/paste but doesn't seem too work. Can I wrap the joint in the exhaust repair bandages too seal the leak and then put and exhaust clamp over too hold it together? Got an mot coming up soon so don't want it failing on the leak or anything.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - Oli rag
I doubt you would get the back box over the exhaust pipe if you wrapped it with exhaust bandage as they’re normally fairly tight. Is it definitely a back box made to fit your car, or is it a generic item which may be a bit too big for your pipe?

It’s unusual to have such difficulty sealing a joint, there must be something wrong.

I mean wrap the exhaust bandage over the joint after they have been joined together. They are a very tight fit but there is a leak at a certain point on the join. The backbox is definitely for my car. So was wondering if I can wrap the outside of the join and clamp it all?

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - bathtub tom

If it's just been done why don't you take it back and let them deal with it?

I replaced it myself. Just asking if I can get away with wrapping the join in exhaust bandage just too give it the final seal.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - edlithgow

Long time since I last had to worry about the UK MOT, but the last time, IIRC, the tester told me (in passing, because I'd done a DIY repair but hadn't used a bandage) that they were no longer approved.

People with more r4ecent experience / knowledge will be able to confirm or deny.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - edlithgow

If you could get it clean enough maybe you could solder or braze it. (never tried this, just a thought)

That's a good idea but the exhaust itself is in really good condition, there are no rust holes or anything its just that slip joint isn't sealing fully. Might ring the garage up and see if it would pass with the bandage.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like the new exhaust system is not located fully on the existing pipe . Take it all off , give it a good clean and start again . May be an idea to use a repair sleeve that fits over both ends of the pipes.

I pushed it onto the pipe as far as it can go. I will give it another try but if I have no luck, can I just wrap the joint in gun gum and bandage it too give it the final seal? The blow is only very sloght and can barely feel it when it's running but I can hear that crackling/f***ing noise from the join and water slowly drips from it.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - John F

.....can I just wrap the joint in gun gum and bandage it too give it the final seal?

Yes.

Many decades ago I augmented this method with a bean can. Remove both ends and tin-snip it down the side to create a short variable diameter tube, and secure with a couple of jubilee clips. (Why 'jubilee'? No-one knows!)

Edited by John F on 09/08/2021 at 12:01

Brilliant, do I have too use a bean tin or can I just suse the bandage and be done with it?

Get yourself a jointing sleeve with 2 worm drive clips

Just had a look and there's not much room on the pipe for one of the joining sleeves. I'm thinking of applying some gun gum paste and wrapping it with an empty can, preferably a baked bean or soup can because they are thicker and then wrapping it with the holts repair bandage and then clamping it. Like I say, the blow is very minor and it's only at a certain spot so if this fixes it then it won't cost me much at all.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - Bolt

Just had a look and there's not much room on the pipe for one of the joining sleeves. I'm thinking of applying some gun gum paste and wrapping it with an empty can, preferably a baked bean or soup can because they are thicker and then wrapping it with the holts repair bandage and then clamping it. Like I say, the blow is very minor and it's only at a certain spot so if this fixes it then it won't cost me much at all.

Have you got the correct pipe for it, the originals should fit perfectly unless its been damaged, in which case I would take it back to supplier, it shouldn`t be that hard to seal the joint

Yeah, the pipe size is correct and it all looks round and fits tightly. It's just blowing at one small point. I'm going too try the bandage and tin method and go from there.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - Galaxy

I've never failed to completely seal a new silencer onto an exhaust pipe using Sealing Paste.

Have you tried rubbing the paste into the gap at the end of the silencer between the silencer and pipe with your finger before you fit the clamp? I've done this in the past and it's always been successful.

As a matter of interest many newly fitted exhaust systems fitted by garages will leak very slightly but that appears to be acceptable.

However. like yourself, when I've fitted a new system myself I've always liked it to be completely sealed.

Ford fiesta - Sealing exhaust joint - Chrome

I wonder if either if your exhaust joints are slightly ovalised? One option is to shim at the blow point using cut to shape steel shim stock and inexpensive silicone sealant. The stuff for kitchens / bathrooms etc. The budget stuff is fine. Don't worry about how good this will be as the sealant is heat resistent to 250c and works well with a shim. I have had to do this on at least three motorbike exhausts.

I will try the exhaust bandage and baked bean can first and if that doesn't sort it then I will get a garage too have a look. Its just the buzzing noise that is annoying. You can't feel that much air coming out of the leak but you can hear it buzzing /crackling at idle. Must be a very small gap. Thank you for the suggestions. Can't be bothered stripping it all down again on Jack stands so I will see how this goes ??

I will try the exhaust bandage and baked bean can first and if that doesn't sort it then I will get a garage too have a look. Its just the buzzing noise that is annoying. You can't feel that much air coming out of the leak but you can hear it buzzing /crackling at idle. Must be a very small gap. Thank you for the suggestions. Can't be bothered stripping it all down again on Jack stands so I will see how this goes ??

Some exhausts can be a pain if the joint isn`t made correctly, and is often quicker and easier to get a garage to sort it as they have the sealant and parts on hand, imo nothing worse than an exhaust that wont seal properly, they used to be a pet hate of mine as they either seal/connect with ease or they don`t....

Rang a garage too ask quickly and they said too wrap it in a bit of stainless steel wool, then some steel (baked bean can) and use exhaust paste. They said as long as it's sealed alright then it will pass the MOT. Will give this a try first and then if that doesn't work then I will get it into a garage

Rang a garage too ask quickly and they said too wrap it in a bit of stainless steel wool, then some steel (baked bean can) and use exhaust paste. They said as long as it's sealed alright then it will pass the MOT. Will give this a try first and then if that doesn't work then I will get it into a garage

steel wool wont help, need to smother in paste around leak then put can around and clamp up, wait to dry off a bit, then see if it worked

You need an exhaust pipe expander to make the pipe slightly larger so that it slides on further. No amount of bean cans and putty will make this a good job .

Yeah, I will give this a go first and see. If its a load of rubbish then will have too get it sorted with the pipe expander. The leak is minor tbh so it's not like the whole join is leaking all the way round. Just annoying because the exhaust is so loud under acceleration from the blowing

Right, I messed around with exhaust earlier and rearranged the pipes and put loads more exhaust paste on and then wrapped the joint in the aluminium exhaust tape and then put a couplenof exhaust clamps on. No more buzzing sound or water leaking out. This seems too have fixed it. Don't know how long for but its a quick fix. Thank you for the help