What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Autonomous Driving - mcb100
With the increase in driver assistance/support features heading across the fleet of cars on our roads, just a quick look at the Society of Automotive Engineers/International Organisation for Standardisation ‘tiers’ of autonomy.
Levels 0-3 have the driver in control, and are broken down as follows:-

Level 0 - includes Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking. They are classed as warning or momentary assistance systems.
Level 1 - Features providing either brake/acceleration (Active Cruise Control) or lane centring, but not both simultaneously.
Level 2 - The car can adjust speed and keep in lane simultaneously.
Level 3 means the car is driving, even though there is a driver at the wheel. The driver must be ready to take control when required. An example of this would be the car able to stop and restart in traffic.
Level 4 means that the car doesn’t need a driver to monitor, but may have restrictions where it operates. It may or may not have driver controls fitted.
Level 5 is as above, but removing restrictions. The car can drive itself under any conditions.
Any - Autonomous Driving - alan1302

Is there a question about this??

Any - Autonomous Driving - edlithgow

I'd question why Level 0 includes anything at all. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Level 0 should logically be complete freedom from "driver assistance", and thus complete driver autonomy.

That'd be me then, unless you count the buzzer that tells me I left the lights on, but I'm stationary then so probably not.

On this system I'd have to be some arbitrary negative number, unless I have the GF as a passenger, when I'd be a 10, and a bit irritated.

The shape of things to come?

Edited by edlithgow on 09/08/2021 at 03:37

Any - Autonomous Driving - Bolt

Level 0 should logically be complete freedom from "driver assistance", and thus complete driver autonomy.

That'd be me then, unless you count the buzzer that tells me I left the lights on, but I'm stationary then so probably not.

On this system I'd have to be some arbitrary negative number, unless I have the GF as a passenger, when I'd be a 10, and a bit irritated.

I think Tesla have addressed all these and more with the new designed processor they made, they now need a team of software developers to write all the software for it(I`m saying -it) but its multiple cores on dozens of multi core chips with built in memory and unlimited(for today anyway) transmission bandwidth, so will be faster than any chip made so far afaia

I think Tesla have addressed all these and more with the new designed processor they made, they now need a team of software developers to write all the software for it(I`m saying -it) but its multiple cores on dozens of multi core chips with built in memory and unlimited(for today anyway) transmission bandwidth, so will be faster than any chip made so far afaia

Without the software the processor is not going to be able to do anything though...and even as advanced as Tesla are with regards to automonus driving they are a long, long way from Level 0

Any - Autonomous Driving - mcb100
Just a bit of background reading.
I will ask a question - we are x years in the future, and you’ve booked a taxi. What arrives is just that. A taxi, but no driver as we’ve reached Tier 5 of autonomy. The question is, do you get in it?
Just a bit of background reading. I will ask a question - we are x years in the future, and you’ve booked a taxi. What arrives is just that. A taxi, but no driver as we’ve reached Tier 5 of autonomy. The question is, do you get in it?

Its going to be a while yet before anyone can answer that as they will have to be proved safe, funny thing is we now have gymnastic:dancing robots but cars have yet to prove themselves fully auto and safe

Any - Autonomous Driving - Andrew-T
Just a bit of background reading. I will ask a question - we are x years in the future, and you’ve booked a taxi. What arrives is just that. A taxi, but no driver as we’ve reached Tier 5 of autonomy. The question is, do you get in it?

Next question - how do you tell it precisely where it should go, certain that it will go where you intend ? :-)

Any - Autonomous Driving - Sulphur Man

Autonomous will never happen, and absolutely never happen in the UK.

At present, the most developed systems still have difficulty with

i) low-level clouds and white vehicles, especially white-sided HGVs

ii) large reflective puddles

iii) bikes mounted on the back of cars

iv) changed road priorities/ temporary roadworks

v) snow, especially falling snow

However, we will continue to hear manufacturers banging on about it, as it's now a marketing tool to sell ever-growing SUVs under the cloak of 'safety', by festooning them with Lev 2 and Lev 3 driver aids. These aren't safety features, they won't trump the laws of physics. What they are is workarounds for a vehicle that is too large for UK roads, with heights that can obscure visibility of other cars, other road users and pedestrians, especially small children, who can effectively disappear near the likes of a BMW X7.

If a car has 12 cameras pointing around it's perimeter, there's something inherently wrong with it's design.

Any - Autonomous Driving - Brit_in_Germany

Do you not think there is a reason why mm wave 5G is being introduced (other than to spread covid, of course)?

Do you not think there is a reason why mm wave 5G is being introduced (other than to spread covid, of course)?

Some people have some strange ideas about 5G, I wonder what people will say when 6G comes in?

Any - Autonomous Driving - focussed

Some people have some strange ideas about 5G, I wonder what people will say when 6G comes in?

The microchip implanted in the back of your neck will not let you "say" anything - by then the plebian hordes will no longer be allowed to voice opinions.

Any - Autonomous Driving - madf

The microchip implanted in the back of your neck will not let you "say" anything - by then the plebian hordes will no longer be allowed to voice opinions.

I had my microchip implanted with mu Covid jab. I keep hearing the voices but I do not listen to Bill Gates telling me what to do.

Any - Autonomous Driving - Warning

There have been some who have been concerned about 5G (as well as 2G 3G 4G Wi-fi). This is long before COVID-19 happened. Unfortunately, the issue has been hijacked by conspiracy theorists.

There was a Senate hearing and Snr Blemthal asked the industry if 5G was safe. Big wireless concedes no studies showing safety of 5G (7th Feb 2019).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5soLrvXFg

I doubt a science researcher is going to getting funding to investigate 5G. Even if they found concerns..... they would be putting their reputation on the line.

I turn off my wi-fi at night (you can log in). You keep your router on, but turn off the wi-fi.

If you have the latest 5G enable phone, you can select to use non-5G networks.... (not tried it).

5G just gives faster download speeds.....

Autonomous will never happen, and absolutely never happen in the UK. At present, the most developed systems still have difficulty with ...

I tend to agree with all that, but I bet it doesn't stop the geeks and nerds playing with their advanced toys, thinking of new tricks to try out.

Any - Autonomous Driving - Terry W

Fully autonomous is inevitable - the only question is when.

Fear of change is partly about loss of control and fear of the unknown. Other irrationalites. Sail out of sight of land and fall off the edge of the earth. Trains at high speed will cause the body to melt and render cows infertile. Cars need to be preceded by a man with a red flag.

Autonomous does not mean 100% safe - merely better than fallible human beings who will continue to suffer from anger, inattention, alcohol, emotions,tiredness etc etc.

Software improves in function and reliability over time. With the huge amounts of data available for every collision a process of continuous improvement will can eliminate weaknesses.

The UK will not be the first place that autonomous becomes commonplace - that is likely to happen where (a) road networks are less idiosyncratic, (b) traffic levels are lower, (c) legal constraints more readily overcome.

In this country my guess would be that autonomous units will be introduced first in controlled environments - eg: airport car park to terminal, then on to motorways where there are no pedestrians and all vehicles move in the same direction. I would put initial automation at 3-7 years, and full automation at ~10 years.

Fear of change is partly about loss of control and fear of the unknown. Other irrationalites. Sail out of sight of land and fall off the edge of the earth. Trains at high speed will cause the body to melt and render cows infertile. Cars need to be preceded by a man with a red flag.

Autonomous does not mean 100% safe - merely better than fallible human beings who will continue to suffer from anger, inattention, alcohol, emotions,tiredness etc etc.

Software improves in function and reliability over time. With the huge amounts of data available for every collision a process of continuous improvement will can eliminate weaknesses.

The UK will not be the first place that autonomous becomes commonplace - that is likely to happen where (a) road networks are less idiosyncratic, (b) traffic levels are lower, (c) legal constraints more readily overcome.

In this country my guess would be that autonomous units will be introduced first in controlled environments - eg: airport car park to terminal, then on to motorways where there are no pedestrians and all vehicles move in the same direction. I would put initial automation at 3-7 years, and full automation at ~10 years.

It isn`t inevitable by a long way, processors are capable now of controlling a car, but the amount of data needed is far more than we have at the moment, and growing, so will be many years before it it does become commonplace assuming companies don`t give up on it due to costs, also software constantly has to be updated

Any - Autonomous Driving - John F

Perhaps in future our narrow country roads will have a big A surrounded by a red circle, a bit like the 7.5 ton prohibition sign. I cannot see how two level 5 large cars approaching each other on a single track pot-holed road with infrequent passing places and deep eroded boggy edges (like the road to our Northants village) would manage to pass each other without intelligent human input.

Any - Autonomous Driving - brum

It is mandated by the EU.

Please do not argue

Any - Autonomous Driving - brum

5g is a coding standard that is more efficient than previous generations just like mp4 v mp1

It just happens the gov has auctioned off more spectrum 3400 - 3600 MHz so thats where 5g will go as there isnt room in the lower bands which are full of 2g, 3g, and 4g. This will change as 2g and 3g is switched off in the near future so 5g will appear in the lower bands.

3600Mhz has a wavelength of 0.083 metres, not exactly mm wavelength.

And its mandated by the EU

So please do not argue

Any - Autonomous Driving - Brit_in_Germany

It just happens the gov has auctioned off more spectrum 3400 - 3600 MHz so thats where 5g will go as there isnt room in the lower bands which are full of 2g, 3g, and 4g. This will change as 2g and 3g is switched off in the near future so 5g will appear in the lower bands.

3600Mhz has a wavelength of 0.083 metres, not exactly mm wavelength.

So because they have not introduced 30 GHz in the UK yet and there are no autonomous vehicles means both are not going to happen? That's logical. Not arguing.

Any - Autonomous Driving - madf

Perhaps in future our narrow country roads will have a big A surrounded by a red circle, a bit like the 7.5 ton prohibition sign. I cannot see how two level 5 large cars approaching each other on a single track pot-holed road with infrequent passing places and deep eroded boggy edges (like the road to our Northants village) would manage to pass each other without intelligent human input.

Quite

As I have mentioned before on Saturday mornings I travel to Beekeeping (I teach beginners) and drive approx 6 miles there and six miles back again. Five of the six miles are on roads as you describe with the addition of horses and the odd tractor -sometimes with road wide flails or other instrument quite capable of decapitating you. (or me). Occasionally the odd 20 to 50 sheep.Or cows. Visibility in some parts - 20 meters.

You only go onto the verge if it has been very dry or you have suitable tyres (Michelin CCs work very well) . If you have a new 4xx4, you don't leave the road as you car will get dirty. If you are in a big Range Rover, you WILL get stuck.(too wide)

Road markings? None.

Autonomous cars would be very difficult - far easier to get a human to drive,

Edited by madf on 09/08/2021 at 12:09

Any - Autonomous Driving - movilogo

The question is, do you get in it?

Yes

I don't have any problem with AI as such. if AI driving improves over time, then why not. Not everyone enjoys driving. It can be a liberations for non-drivers. Sometimes machines can drive better than humans. We should not assume humans are always better than AI.

There will always be few super intelligent humans but often AI will be more intelligent than stupid humans.

When it gets to level 5 and has shown to be safe then, yes, would enjoy it. Think it will be be a long time coming though.

Any - Autonomous Driving - sammy1

With everything being done for humans by AI in the future I foresee a very boring existence for the human race. Will evolution see our brains deteriorate or even have any use for our limbs. We might as well exist as a brain in a cardboard box! Alexa - switch of my brain so I can go to sleep!

<< Sometimes machines can drive better than humans. We should not assume humans are always better than AI. >>

Nor - at least for some years yet - the opposite.

They would both be aware of the presence of the other vehicle on the road despite only being connected via internet not visible.

An algorithm would determine which would pull into a passing place to let the other to pass.

The algorithm may take into account width of road, or distance to passing place. In the event they met one would reverse to the closest passing place - probably rather faster than most humans can adequately and accurately reverse.

There would be no "stand-off" whilst both drivers glared at one another.

Quite an improvement to the current stuation!!

The algorithm may take into account width of road, or distance to passing place. In the event they met one would reverse to the closest passing place - probably rather faster than most humans can adequately and accurately reverse.

I wonder what any following car might do ..... :-)

Especially if it wasn't autonomous.

Any - Autonomous Driving - Engineer Andy

The problem Terry is that the boffins at motor companies have been saying much the same for the last 20 years now. Scientists have said the same about AI, nuclear fusion, space missions to Mars and a whole host of other things for decades now, and yet...

Computerised systems are normally very good at doing a few things in a controlled environment. What they aren't good at is rapidly assesing and learning how to operate (whatever) in a 'new' environment or one that rapidly changes, particularly where we animals and nature in general interract with said (whatever), often in what appears to be unusal, almost ramdom ways.

Until computer systems can actually learn as humans can do across a wide range of skill sets and environments and rapidly adapt (AIs currently cannot), then we will still be in charge of cars.

My estimate, if fully autonomous cars ever come about (i.e. AI happens) is at least 30 years, more like 50 and more. I suspect it won't help that the current circumstances we face will likely bankrupt the world, meaning there will be little incentive to produce autonomous cars for just a few thousand uber-rich people.

I can see many advantages of car clubs of self-driving cars. For me it could improve quality of life :

- For long journeys it can get tiring. My other half does n't drive. I can be chauffeured.

- Some journeys can be faster if you mix car and train.

- If need to go to the city centre. I don't need to worry about parking. As the car will offer a ride to someone else.

- I browned a few items from my parents and they told me they want back. I can just order self-driving car and it can return it to them.

- My favourite restaurant does n't do deliveries. However, I could order a local cab to pick it up.

- Less worry about paying eye watering charges for packing.

- Self-driving cars would be able to communicate and manage demand.

- Better integration with rail

- May be even communicate with traffic lights, so all lights are greed if there are no waiting pedestrians. Another car coming at the same traffic light, could know the lights are red and slow down and time it so that it reaches the point where lights turn green.

- A self-driving car will be alert all the time. It does n't get distracted.

- Eventually non-automated vehicle e.g. older cars and cyclist could be moved off to other roads.

- You could improve health, by dropping me one mile from my home, so I can walk the distance back.

- More parking spaces and fewer cars. At least 70% of the cars on my street are always parked. Wasted resources.

- If I am going to the supermarket. I need a one person car, but on my return I need a bigger car with space for shopping bags.....

I wonder what is happening with driving in other industries - say driving boats.

I fancy going on a sailboat trip but don't want the hassle of managing sailings myself. So AI driven navigation and sailing control would be nice.

I know ships have auto pilot but don't know what maturity those have compared to AI driven cars.

>> Will evolution see our brains deteriorate or even have any use for our limbs.

Science fiction writers say brain will become larger as humans have to work hard to control AIs but limbs will shrink small because of not much use.

I wonder what is happening with driving in other industries - say driving boats. I fancy going on a sailboat trip but don't want the hassle of managing sailings myself. So AI driven navigation and sailing control would be nice.

Just remember how much time and space is required to stop or alter the course of a supertanker ?

Science fiction writers say brain will become larger as humans have to work hard to control AIs but limbs will shrink small because of not much use.

The idea of Ai is so we don`t have to think, it learns as it goes and takes the place of your brain because you won`t need it, like robots might take over everything we do which is gradualy happening

" May be even communicate with traffic lights, so all lights are greed "

Isn't that speed cameras?

Any - Autonomous Driving - RichT54

A country dependent on autonomous vehicles would be a dream come true for criminal, terrorist and state sponsored hackers. The vehicles will need some form of wireless communication to send and receive data, so that would be the obvious, but not the only vector for attack.The hackers are still keeping many steps ahead of the software developers and security experts, with no sign that will change in the future.

Many new cars are already connected via sat-nav, phones, location, operating data to garages, tracking devices etc.

Current software already provides lane departure warnings, emergency braking, cruise control, road sgn recognition. All quite safety critical.

Functionality is maintained and updated via internet or (sometimes) a computer and cable.

The vulnerability already exists to hackers, terrorists etc etc. Perhaps we should go back to the 1960's (pre-electronics era) or even the horse and cart (although the feed may be tampered with!).

The vulnerability already exists to hackers, terrorists etc etc. Perhaps we should go back to the 1960's (pre-electronics era) or even the horse and cart

Maybe they will start using the system windows 11 will, so everything installed on car computers will be encrypted so hackers can`t get into it.

it might to some be a pain in that all software and hardware replaced on a car will need a cryptographic key to install on the car and without it it won`t install.....

Many new cars are already connected via sat-nav, phones, location, operating data to garages, tracking devices etc.

Current software already provides lane departure warnings, emergency braking, cruise control, road sgn recognition. All quite safety critical.

Functionality is maintained and updated via internet or (sometimes) a computer and cable.

The vulnerability already exists to hackers, terrorists etc etc. Perhaps we should go back to the 1960's (pre-electronics era) or even the horse and cart (although the feed may be tampered with!).

Nothing wrong with the 2000s cars:

People not getting their car nicked by someone with a scanner in a car park/hiding in your front garden etc for you to use the keyless entry system;

Cars not needing endless 'software updates' that provde little benefit or that are done because the car wasn't ready to go into production and owners were used as beta testers;

Cars not beeping at you every few seconds because it notices something's 'there' or carries out an emergency stop in the fast lane of the motorway because a plastic bag has got caught in the front grille/bumper area;

Not having to go through ten menus to switch radio stations etc;

Not having to remortgage my home if I wanted to replace a lightbulb on the car (not that I've had to pay for that yet) or electronic gizmo I never use;

Very reliable car.

No chance is some hacker being able to 'take control' via a phone, etc etc

Having it shod with sensible, but still decent (for driving/ride quality) wheels and tyres that last a long time and don't cost a fortune to replace (because they are very common).

It cost me £10k to buy new after discounts. A similar car today (15 years later, forgetting the pandemic price increases) would likely cost me best part of £20k, and that's an ICE car.

Still drives almost as well today as it did when I bought it in early 2006. Costs me peanuts to run.

No inbuilt satnav etc (perfectly fine ICE), but can use my newest smartphone just clipped onto the air vent as a decent satnav when required.

<< would likely cost me best part of £20k, and that's an ICE car.... No inbuilt satnav etc (perfectly fine ICE), >>

Pity about the interchangeable meanings of ICE. Uninitiated readers (there may be a few) could be a bit confused .... :-)

iThe hackers are still keeping many steps ahead of the software developers and security experts, with no sign that will change in the future.

If the hackers are a step ahead we'd not be able to use any IT at all as it would already be compromised

iThe hackers are still keeping many steps ahead of the software developers and security experts, with no sign that will change in the future.

If the hackers are a step ahead we'd not be able to use any IT at all as it would already be compromised

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

My PC had a Russian Mafia virus for quite a while before (after gradually getting suspicious) I put a sniffer on it. None of the AV suites I tried would detect or disinfect (Clamwin found it once) but I THINK I killed it by reforrmatting. They don't necessarily advertise.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

My PC had a Russian Mafia virus for quite a while before (after gradually getting suspicious) I put a sniffer on it. None of the AV suites I tried would detect or disinfect (Clamwin found it once) but I THINK I killed it by reforrmatting. They don't necessarily advertise.

There are intelligent viruses/malware that assemble themselves from small bits of programs sent by the usual methods designed so the anti virus programs cannot see them.

which there are a lot about and attackers try using software vulnerabilities on your pc if everything else fails, one easy method iirc is modem settings can be hacked to gain access to your pc and most are easy to get into apparently.

So be safe, use a strong password on all hardware and web sites

It's like a game of tennis. The good guys invent new tricks to inhibit the bad guys, who respond by inventing ways to defeat them. I don't see why that simple rule should change. The basic problem is the open-to-all internet. Nothing electronic is genuinely private any more.

When you think about it, any things that humans can put together can usually be beaten or dismantled by other humans.

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/08/2021 at 09:28

It's like a game of tennis. The good guys invent new tricks to inhibit the bad guys, who respond by inventing ways to defeat them. I don't see why that simple rule should change. The basic problem is the open-to-all internet. Nothing electronic is genuinely private any more.

When you think about it, any things that humans can put together can usually be beaten or dismantled by other humans.

Rather like firms invent new reasons why you need to buy their latest new fangled product to replace an older one that actually does the job you want it to perfectly fine (cars, phones, washing powder, food, computers) and without needing to shell out a good deal for the 'new improved' X.

My Win7 desktop PC runs just fine for the everyday usage I've needed it for, especially as the Security software still is compatible. I suspect I'll be forced to upgrade once those security software firms stop making their products compatible, not because my computer is slow or particularly unreliable (I've replaced one HDD and that's it in 10 years) - not even needed to upgared anything as yet.

The problem with a lot of new computerised tech is that either the designers are naive or deliberately leave them open to being hacked, often by putting some kind of wireless/phone connection on them (I mean, who needs a fridge with that?) and severely lacking any inbuilt hardware or software security.

All those problems with security on 'smart' (yeah, right) heating system controls (or cars) where a blind man could see the problems at teh start, and yet so many had fundamental securitry issues picked up in the first review done by Which? or other review sites. Again, it often goes back to that issue I described earlier about car firms rushing their product to market to get one-up on competitors whilst using owners as defacto beta testers.

Not a good idea, but it seems most people just allow it to happen and just grumble.

I described earlier about car firms rushing their product to market to get one-up on competitors whilst using owners as defacto beta testers.

Not so sure about beta testers, where electronics is concerned on cars the tech is so advanced the software takes a while to write and test, if the tests are ok there is no reason to assume a failure/fault will occur, and if they take too long over writing software, the hardware becomes obsolete before the software is finished and tested.

thats why companies employ people to find problems in the software that the writer didn`t take into consideration while writing, as they cannot think of everything

often hardware is delayed because the software is not right and cannot be released untill it is in there opinion ok to do so

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

I think it would be very obvious if all IT was compromised...if the AV suites were not detecting it how do you know it was a virus/malware? Could have been a false positive that Clamwin found.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

I think it would be very obvious if all IT was compromised...if the AV suites were not detecting it how do you know it was a virus/malware? Could have been a false positive that Clamwin found.

Suspicious Behaviour.

Slow, and lots of mysterious network traffic that didn't correspond to anything I was doing.

The virus identified, IIRC (don't have access to my notes) can usurp the host for bitcoin mining as well (of course) self propagation and keylogging, which means your passwords are compromised.

Fortunately I very rarely use online banking, though being overseas I have to occaisionally..

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

Suspicious Behaviour.

Slow, and lots of mysterious network traffic that didn't correspond to anything I was doing.

The virus identified, IIRC (don't have access to my notes) can usurp the host for bitcoin mining as well (of course) self propagation and keylogging, which means your passwords are compromised.

Fortunately I very rarely use online banking, though being overseas I have to occaisionally..

As I said before these programs are being made in parts so they are not noticed by anti virus programs and hide, once all parts are in the pc they come together to make one program to steal your details and some find poor programming in windows or other programs so they can compromise a sytem

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

Suspicious Behaviour.

Got another ghost in the machine. Windows Defender flags a "Threat found, Check Details", I do and its shows an "exploit" URL classed "serious", but before I can copy it it switches to "No threat found", before my very eyes.

I find that suspicious, plus its been slow, crashes a lot, and seems to be visiting ad sites unbidden, possibly generating click revenue for its masters.

I'll try some scans but I'll probably have to reformat C, though even that is no guarantee.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T

Suspicious Behaviour.

Got another ghost in the machine. Windows Defender flags a "Threat found, Check Details", I do and its shows an "exploit" URL classed "serious", but before I can copy it it switches to "No threat found", before my very eyes.

I find that suspicious, plus its been slow, crashes a lot, and seems to be visiting ad sites unbidden, possibly generating click revenue for its masters.

I'll try some scans but I'll probably have to reformat C, though even that is no guarantee.

windows defender flags a lot of software, some that are not malware or virus, if you click on the item in defender you can check it out on interweb to see if it is what defender sees it as,

I have programs that defender is too defensive about and are not either malware or virus but get flagged anyway, if you find its part of a program, just tell defender to allow it otherwise quarantine or delete, though if in doubt quarantine untill proved ok or bad then decide

as for running slow its very common for windows 10 to slow down and often not always caused by anything specific so unless its very very slow wouldn`t worry about it

ps reformatting low level only renames files so windows cannot see the files which is why the drive looks empty, it also wont get rid of viruses they remain untill triggered by being renamed unless written over, best get a software that writes zeros to whole/part of drive thats the only way to get rid which takes a while to do properly people think a reformat cleans a disc it doesn`t it has to be wiped properly

example, if you reformat you can still recover all software from drive, if wiped you can`t

ps reformatting low level only renames files so windows cannot see the files which is why the drive looks empty, it also wont get rid of viruses they remain untill triggered by being renamed unless written over, best get a software that writes zeros to whole/part of drive thats the only way to get rid which takes a while to do properly people think a reformat cleans a disc it doesn`t it has to be wiped properly

example, if you reformat you can still recover all software from drive, if wiped you can`t

This is not correct - formatting will get rid of any virus that is on the drive as well as any data that was on there - whilst you can sometimes recover files that does not mean the vius is not deleted off the drive and ready to infect you again.

It also doesn't fix a virus that is in the BIOS.

This is not correct - formatting will get rid of any virus that is on the drive as well as any data that was on there

Ok, I will say no more!

<< It's very common for Windows 10 to slow down and often not always caused by anything specific so unless its very very slow wouldn`t worry about it >>

This happens too often for my taste. I suspect W-10 gets tangled up with my A-V software, as the problem usually clears after 15-20 minutes. Recently, after one of those annoying automatic updates, W-10 seems to have sorted itself out and is running 'normally' at the moment.

Is the technology sufficiently advanced yet?

The US government has launched a formal investigation into Tesla's Autopilot advanced driver assistance system, after a series of crashes involving vehicles with the system and parked emergency vehicles.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-safety/us-launches-investigation-tesla-autopilot-system

The investigation by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) follows 11 crashes, in which a total of 17 people were injured and one killed, and potentially affects 765,000 cars. The noticed issued by the NHTSA covers virtually every Tesla sold in the US from 2014 onwards. The Model Y, Model X, Model S and Model 3 are all included.

Unless auto pilot achieves a maturity where it is possible to sleep while car is driving of itself, it is more of trouble than anything else.

It is lot more difficult to let the car drive itself but then observe and be alert in case you have to take over - compared to - you just drive yourself.

Autonomous driving as an upgrade of cruise control (i.e. adaptive) is fine but truly driverless car for all types of roads is still fairy tale.

Unless auto pilot achieves a maturity where it is possible to sleep while car is driving of itself, it is more of trouble than anything else.

It is lot more difficult to let the car drive itself but then observe and be alert in case you have to take over - compared to - you just drive yourself.

Autonomous driving as an upgrade of cruise control (i.e. adaptive) is fine but truly driverless car for all types of roads is still fairy tale.

Yep. Been saying this for ages now. So-called 'AI' computers/programs are very good at doing specific, often very limited-in-scope tasks, but not very good at multi-tasking and especially adapting to new/unusual circumstances and instantly.

It's the reason why 'driverless' trains are far easier to design, but even then they often require 'staff' on routes other than airport shuttles in case a system breaks down/an accident so a real human can take over/make decisions as required to deal with the situation and the passengers.

Moreover, if you're relegated to having to catch up on sleep in your autonomously driven car, perhaps think about your life choices.

Report in today's Times mentions 17 collisions of Teslas in US in the last 3 years, mostly with emergency vehicles at night. Perhaps fast-moving flashing lights confuse the system ?

Report in today's Times mentions 17 collisions of Teslas in US in the last 3 years, mostly with emergency vehicles at night. Perhaps fast-moving flashing lights confuse the system ?

Over time, they will fix these problems. Different companies are using different technologies, different solutions etc... some will success and others will fail.

Quote "The first Tesla fatality in the United States occurred in 2016 when Joshua Brown, an Ohio man and a former member of the Navy SEALs, was killed in Florida. His Model S was on Autopilot on a state highway when a tractor-trailer began crossing the road in front of him. Tesla said Autopilot had failed to recognize the truck because it was white and the sky behind it was bright."

It seems camera technology, not being good as the human eye.....

The more scenarios these AI systems are exposed to, the more they will learn. For instance, we might see a burst pipe, flooding the road, but an AI system might never have seen that so it would need to learn that scenario. When is it safe to go and not safe.

What would an AI have done in this situation?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HnYo8MInTA

Over time, they will fix these problems. Different companies are using different technologies, different solutions etc... some will success and others will fail.

Learning what may be dangerous may be only part of the process - the AI must also learn what seems to be dangerous but actually isn't. Or the car may do something to avoid a sudden puff of dark smoke (to suggest something off the top of my head).

I suggest that humans may always be better at analysing situations, but probably also better at losing concentration or dozing off ?

Learning what may be dangerous may be only part of the process - the AI must also learn what seems to be dangerous but actually isn't. Or the car may do something to avoid a sudden puff of dark smoke (to suggest something off the top of my head).

I suggest that humans may always be better at analysing situations, but probably also better at losing concentration or dozing off ?

1 reason why it will be a long time before they are common on the road, due to Ai needing so much data to learn what is and isn`t dangerous, telling the difference between textures and reflective surfaces and lots of other info to learn...it is going to take ages to write and program software without the memory storage involved and speedy processors to work it all out in a fraction of a millisecond

Why You Should Want Driverless Cars On Roads Now

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjztvddhZmI

Waymo - formerly the Google self-driving car project

Someone commenting on the YT video makes the point that they don't mention in the video that the cars are all run in a specific area of Phoenix, AZ, which isn't likely to be representative of everywhere.

I do love the sensor gizmos on the top of the cars - I'm just waiting for the 'Police Squad' red flashing light and siren to go off, which probably isn't a good sign given how ofetn cars in that show crashed into things. :-)

Driver error is by far the most common cause of car "accidents". Not looking properly is the principal contributory factor, other excuses include speeding, drugs, drink driving.

Vehicle failures account for less than 5% - failed brakes, steering, tyres etc.

Humans are frail and emotional creatures with variable control over behaviours and actions. Increased training may reduce the incidence of accidents - it will not eliminate it.

Computers tend to do tasks with tedious precision time after time. Increasingly they learn from experience (AI) not programming. When they communicate with other computers they don't need to simply hope any message has been absorbed and will be acted upon.

It is really quite a surprise that drivers still have a role to play in piloting vehicles. Already some companies are trialling delivery using autonomous vehicles - far better to squah a can of baked beans in pursuit of improvements, not the warm blooded us!

Increasingly they learn from experience (AI) not programming.

you could call it self programming due to the amount of learning then retrieving the information Ai needs to learn, it hasn`t a brain to store info on so it will have to be stored somewhere, possibly on NVME storage due to size, or transmitted.

but due to the speed that will be needed 5g may not be fast enough and I gather Ai needs around 4 terrabytes of storage a day to store the data it has aquired, thats without what it has already stored

So storage may be the biggest problem and some computers when they run out of memory lock up redering them useless which could be another problem they may or may not have looked into ?

How do they differentiate the 'right' learning? Experience is a very human wisdom, we can differentiate the right experience to remember, and the experiences we want to forget.

In 2021, you can go and buy the new Mercedes S-Class, which is a powered vehicle presenting an entire IT suite of displays to the driver. Yet the owners manual will still carry endless disclaimers that the predictive safety systems, cameras, sensors and algorithims are not infallible, and that the driver is still the owner of the car's behaviour. Just like parking sensors from 20 years ago.

but due to the speed that will be needed 5g may not be fast enough and I gather Ai needs around 4 terrabytes of storage a day to store the data it has aquired, thats without what it has already stored

Apparently the total capacity of the human brain is estimated at between 10-100 TB.

Accepting this at face value would mean that we reach capacity after a few weeks. Seems implausible!!

Additionally reaction times for humans in braking for an unexpected hazard varies between 0.7 - 3.0 seconds depending on age, tiredness, alcohol etc. This is positively glacial when compared to a computer RAM memory access times and CPU processors.

Apparently the total capacity of the human brain is estimated at between 10-100 TB.

Accepting this at face value would mean that we reach capacity after a few weeks. Seems implausible!!

Additionally reaction times for humans in braking for an unexpected hazard varies between 0.7 - 3.0 seconds depending on age, tiredness, alcohol etc. This is positively glacial when compared to a computer RAM memory access times and CPU processors.

As others have said before, as well as myself, computers and programs are good at doing very specific tasks, but are not good at adapting quickly to new situations. Besides, it's not how fast you react, but how you react.

Any autonomous driving system can slam the brakes on quicker than a person if its sensors detects an object in front, but unfortunately most seem not able to know the difference between a person, a plastic bag or a bird yet.

For those here who think that AI is 'already here', then think again - so-called AI computers are again used in very specific tasks - a chess-playing one, one that mimics a personality to fool someone, etc, but not a multi-tasker that can do several different things at once and make decisions on new/out-of-the-ordinary circumstances that prove useful or maybe even safe.

The self-drive cars have mostly been tested in far easier to navigate areas (mainly in the US, mostly California) in mostly in good weather.

How do they differentiate the 'right' learning?

Usually machine learning is of 2 types - supervised and unsupervised. For supervised learning the machine needs to be "told" what is right and what is wrong. More examples you feed it, better will be the learning.

It will be tricky when machine sees something it has not seen before. Then it will try to extrapolate from its learning so far and this may not always work as expected.

So if a machine has never been taught using emergency vehicles with flashing lights it can still detect those as "cars" but it may not realize that those cars have higher priority (or importance) on road than other cars.

Tesla is one of the leading car makers in AI However it cannot even get the basics right Ie do not move off with the drivers door open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEYcoqBLifQ

I think calling Teslas as cars bit misleading. A Tesla is basically a computer that has wheels.

You can walk with your laptop while lid is up.

You can drive a Tesla while door is open.

See?

No I don't see and neither would the bus driver who was almost killed. Tighter controls need to be in place on all these computer "accessories" on todays modern cars instead of leaving the driver has the guinea pigs testing these things

No I don't see and neither would the bus driver who was almost killed. Tighter controls need to be in place on all these computer "accessories" on todays modern cars instead of leaving the driver has the guinea pigs testing these things

I agree but it would be surprising if a warning didn`t come up on screen and a sound made on dash as a warning door was open, I have seen many hatchbacks with tailgate fully open and as you pass can hear the warning (not that the driver is taking any notice) and they carry on even when people are hooting them so its not just Tesla doors that remain open

as for computer accessories, most cars are computerised now, just a case of driver knowing what the warnings are for!

A Tesla is basically a computer that has wheels.

Aren`t all cars now, when you consider most cars have at least 100 processors on board now, comunicating with all sensors and running the car

Tesla is one of the leading car makers in AI However it cannot even get the basics right Ie do not move off with the drivers door open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEYcoqBLifQ

That was being driven by a human though, not the AI

yes but if the Ai was that clever it would stop the car moving off as with some other cars

yes but if the Ai was that clever it would stop the car moving off as with some other cars

No, it would not, as it's not turned on all the time. So this is not an AI issue - a human error one.

My car does not have AI but it will not let you drive forward if a door is open, so Tesla seems to be lacking in basic safety for such an expensive bit if kit even if under manual control

My car does not have AI but it will not let you drive forward if a door is open, so Tesla seems to be lacking in basic safety for such an expensive bit if kit even if under manual control

How far do we go with safety? at this rate we will need Automation to prevent anyone making a mistake, which will take the enjoyment out of driving(not that there is much of that these days due to mad driving) but people who make mistakes like that door open need to be taught safety first, I mean most have door open lights and should check what door needs closing as some lights and dash warnings come on door ajar ie not fully closed

I think too many are concerned with talking or other things in the car and are not concerned with looking at the road and especially as the Tesla had a whacking great hole where the door was How on earth can you miss that????

<< I think too many are concerned with talking or other things in the car and are not concerned with looking at the road >>

Cars may be following the evolution of the 'mobile phone'. Those are now pocket computers with built-in cameras and internet access - and a side feature which lets you talk to other people. For some, cars may be seen as part of the furniture, with wheels underneath.

My idea of an autonomous car is of the black Pontiac Firebird Trans Am T-top (the 2008 Mustang upgrade wasn't too shabby either) variety with a special set of handy features to avoid accidents and blockages in the road... :-)

Glad I don't have that 'feature' on my car. Mine beeps and pops up on the display if the door/boot is open but I'd not want it to not be able to move at all - surprised you would be happy with that.

The Guardian has a report of a collision between an autonomous vehicle and a Japanese athlete at the Paralympic Games in Japan.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/aug/28/toyota-pauses-paralympics-self-driving-buses-after-one-hits-visually-impaired-athlete

Toyota has apologised for the “overconfidence” of a self-driving bus after it ran over a Paralympic judoka in the athletes’ village and said it would temporarily suspend the service.

The Japanese athlete, Aramitsu Kitazono, will be unable to compete in his 81kg category this weekend after being left with cuts and bruises following the impact with the “e-Palette” vehicle. His injuries prompted a personal intervention from the president of Toyota, Akio Toyoda.

It seems the system detected the person, but was programmed to assume they would stop crossing.

As part of its sponsorship of Tokyo 2020, Toyota has been showcasing its autonomous vehicles via a shuttle service, which has been running around the clock in the athletes’ village.

On Thursday, however, one of the buses pulled away from a T-junction and drove through a pedestrian crossing while Kitazono, a visually impaired athlete, was walking across.

Tokyo police said that vehicle operators had told them they “were aware that a person was there but thought [the person] would [realize that a bus was coming] and stop crossing the [street]”, according to the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Any - Autonomous Driving - catsdad

A friend has just sold a property and stuck the proceeds in Tesla shares. He is confident that autonomous cars will be fully ready to go (even in U.K.) within 2 years and that Tesla can’t be caught by any other company for years after that. I just don’t believe it.

One of us is going to be very surprised. I doubt it will be me.

One of us is going to be very surprised. I doubt it will be me.

He may be right, its getting to the point now where even Tesla are catching up with the big players in computers, his new processors are as good or possibly better than some graphics card processors, its just a case of the software catching up and as Musk is determined to carry on and beat everyone else he may just do it

Tesla AI Day in 19 Minutes (SUPERCUT) - YouTube

Tesla AI Day - YouTube