What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
EVs quietness - barney100

Just read an article by a blind person who says that EVs can be a real problem as they can't be heard if the sound device isn't on. What are the rules concerning sound devices on EVs?

EVs quietness - Xileno

"From 2021 all new electric cars must have an Avas, not just new models. A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h)."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

EVs quietness - catsdad

We visited Zermatt a few years ago. Combustion engines are all but banned and all the EVs make a gentle Alpine cow bell sound. No accompanying methane emissions though.

EVs quietness - Sofa Spud

If you're in a place with a lot of general noise, then it's not always possible to hear a petrol car (or even a diesel) if it's reversing out of a parking space. So this isn't a new problem.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 08/08/2021 at 13:51

EVs quietness - alan1302

If you're in a place with a lot of general noise, then it's not always possible to hear a petrol car (or even a diesel) if it's reversing out of a parking space. So this isn't a new problem.

Makes it worse that's it's still a problem.

EVs quietness - brum

Ime EVs are only quiet at very slow speeds. Ar 30+mph the main source of noise is tyre noise. Ev's are heavy, come with hard compound eco tyres. Just as noisy as many ICE coming towards you.

Surprised by the Teslas that pass me on a walk, noisier than many other cars.

EVs quietness - Engineer Andy

Ime EVs are only quiet at very slow speeds. Ar 30+mph the main source of noise is tyre noise. Ev's are heavy, come with hard compound eco tyres. Just as noisy as many ICE coming towards you.

Surprised by the Teslas that pass me on a walk, noisier than many other cars.

I wonder if the tyre noise 'issue' isn't helped by most of them running larger wheels and wide, low profile tyres? Even worse if they use run-flat tyres, which are harder compound anyway and thus even noisier.

EVs quietness - sammy1

Agree with the comment above the tyre roar from a Tesla is much the same as other cars

EVs quietness - brum

We visited Zermatt a few years ago. Combustion engines are all but banned and all the EVs make a gentle Alpine cow bell sound. No accompanying methane emissions though.

Are you sure they had wheels and not legs?

When I get my EV i'll put it on the vuvuzela setting and turn it up to 11, just to be safe you understand....

Edited by brum on 08/08/2021 at 13:59

Are you sure they had wheels and not legs?

When I get my EV i'll put it on the vuvuzela setting and turn it up to 11, just to be safe you understand....

I always assumed when I heard those bells that someone was about to pass at great speed on skis... :-)

EVs quietness - Big John

To be honest it's not just electric cars, if I'm driving slowly down a town/village street with lots of pedestrians milling around many people simply don't hear my 1.4tsi Superb. It's very quiet creeping along at low revs, I think it still has most of the under-bonnet soundproofing also fitted to the diesel versions.

Edited by Big John on 08/08/2021 at 17:43

To be honest it's not just electric cars, if I'm driving slowly down a town/village street with lots of pedestrians milling around many people simply don't hear my 1.4tsi Superb. It's very quiet creeping along at low revs, I think it still has most of the under-bonnet soundproofing also fitted to the diesel versions.

I think it often also depends upon the type, size, quality and condition of the tyres fitted as well as other factors such as soundproofing, the shape of the car, the engine itself and very importantly, the road itself.

EVs quietness - madf

I think it often also depends upon the type, size, quality and condition of the tyres fitted as well as other factors such as soundproofing, the shape of the car, the engine itself and very importantly, the road itself.

Nope .

20% of the population are officially elderly. Most of tehm have imapired hearing. I am elderly but have perfect hearing .( My favourite phrase is "would you repeat that please")

EVs quietness - badbusdriver

Not a problem with my 2010 VW Caddy 2.0 SDI (n/a), the only time it's quiet is when switched off!.

EVs quietness - Big John

Not a problem with my 2010 VW Caddy 2.0 SDI (n/a), the only time it's quiet is when switched off!.

Likewise not a problem with my previous Superb fitted with the refined (NOT!!) 1.9pd

EVs quietness - Ethan Edwards

Drove one yesterday. Spookily quiet inside. Just tyre noise. Whilst walking the dog the other day I was passed by a Polestar2. Fairly noisy from the pedestrian viewpoint about the same as my Vitara. BTW I drove the new Mokka. Very impressed.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 08/08/2021 at 23:02

EVs quietness - brum

I also have a 1.4tsi Superb, it is quiet engine wise sittong on the inside. But if you were to step outside you would find it quite noisy engine wise compared to other cars particularly some japanese cars. Louder than some modern diesels.

All irrelevant though cos as soon as I start moving any (lack of) noise is drowned out by the noisiest set of Pirelli P7 18 inch tyres this side of the English channel.

Maybe the tyre noise was mandated by the EU.

So I won't argue ;)