What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - Beaglelady

my husband and I are looking to change our Volvo V40 for something bigger we have a baby on the way and two large dogs and the V40 is just too small.

My husband is torn between a Volvo V60 but he would like a diesel automatic as he commutes 1-2 hours per day for work.He would also like as many features as possible such as DAB radio,heated seats,sat nav etc.

ideally he wants it under 60,000 miles and a bit newer than his 2013 car.

He also likes the Skoda Superb and the Skoda Octavia nd also the Mazda 6's.

Our budget is under £13,00 but we could push a but more if needed.

We just wondered what you all suggested out of these cars? in terms of reliability and comfort,safety etc

my husband would either grade his V40 in or sell it privately.

thank you all in advance

Edited by Beaglelady on 01/08/2021 at 10:23

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - Bromptonaut

Either Skoda would fit the bill though the DSG 'automated manual' does not have the best of reputations. IIRC the Mazda has had issues with its Diesel Particle Filter and fuel contamination on the oil.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/08/2021 at 10:31

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - badbusdriver

Wouldn't be that keen on either Skoda for the reasons mentioned, though it is worth bearing in mind that the version of the DSG fitted to the 2.0 diesels (on both Octavia and Superb) would be the more robust 'wet clutch' version. They certainly can be reliable, especially if looked after properly (easy enough to establish) and driven with a degree of mechanical sympathy (virtually impossible to establish).

The Mazda?, no way!. Maybe if it was a new car, and it was being used in the manner suitable for the engine, but a 2nd hand version could far too easily be a ticking time bomb.

The Volvo?, well I'd be wanting to verify gearbox type before plumping for one of them. Ford used to own Volvo, and I'd be wanting to ensure that the mechanicals of this age of V60 didn't come from a Mondeo. If it does, that would probably mean the Powershift automated manual (like the DSG), which also doesn't have a great reputation. Even, ignoring that, there are a grand total of 6 V60 diesel auto's on Autotrader (nationwide) which are younger than 2013.

How many miles does your husband cover?. Because simply spending 1-2 hours commuting doesn't not neccessarily mean you need diesel. Circa 15k per annum is generally considered the point where diesel makes more sense than petrol.

Volvo V60 - advice on changing cars - Beaglelady

Hi my husband does around 15,000 miles a year

Volvo V60 - advice on changing cars - badbusdriver

Hi my husband does around 15,000 miles a year

That is a tricky one, certainly with your wanting auto. Personally, I just don't have much faith in automated manuals, certainly used, where you don't know how the previous owner/owners have driven the car.

Without the auto aspect, I'd go straight to the Honda Civic estate. Last (2017/2018) of the previous shape (current Civic not available as an estate) are available within your budget. Massive boot (much bigger than a V60, which is actually not that big), spacious cabin, reliable, refined, comfortable and the 1.6 turbo diesel will easily exceed 60mpg. But alas, it was never available as an auto.

Another suggestion (with a caveat), is the Toyota Auris hybrid estate. Budget is enough to get into an example as young as 2018 and the boot on these is comfortably bigger than a V60 (though not as big as the Civic's). The caveat is regarding the benefits of the hybrid system on the main road. A lot of folk reckon that you'd just be pulling deadweight, that the battery wouldn't be doing much, if anything (I'm not convinced that this would be the case). So maybe some research, reading up on owners reviews etc, to find out how much contribution the battery makes at motorway speeds beforehand. But bear in mind, the faster you go on the motorway, the less battery assistance you'd get. So if you were doing 70mph, I'd expect some assistance, but at 85mph, probably little or none. But from a reliability point of view, you'd struggle to find anything better at any price, than one of these.

BTW, the boot capacity of your V40 is 335 litres (pretty meagre for a car of that size), the V60 manages 430 litres (again, pretty meagre for an estate of that size), the Civic estate has 624 litres, and the Auris estate gets 530 litres.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - barney100

V70, 2.4d, can’t really do better.

Can you find one for sale (with the stipulations of being younger than 2013, and up to 60k miles)?. None on Autotrader. Up that mileage to 70k and there is one (a 2014 model with 61.5k miles).

Personally I'd agree though, get an older one with a bit more miles, no probs!.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - pd

V60 with any of the larger (2.0 or 2.4) engines use a normal auto.

A V60 D3 or D5 SE Lux would certainly fit the bill if you like the V40.

Just make sure it's big enough. It's bigger than a V40 but not that much bigger.

A V60 D3 or D5 SE Lux would certainly fit the bill if you like the V40.

Just make sure it's big enough. It's bigger than a V40 but not that much bigger.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I looked up the figures. Funny given Volvo built its reputation on (as well as safety of course) huge boxy estates!.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - pd

V70 fills the big estate role for that era. V60 is more "lifestyle".

Still a good car though and as long as it's a high spec one a much nicer place to spend 15k miles a year than a Civic, frankly.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - Xileno

Those boxy Volvos were always very popular with antique dealers when I used to go to antique shows and auctions back in the early 90s, this would have been when the 900 series were current. I remember going to one auction and the carpark looked like an over-spill of a Volvo dealership!

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - SLO76

Good car but don’t forget the very high cost of parts and the timing belt and ancillary belt change is costly, typically £450-£500. Otherwise very comfy and robust. I like the D5 twin turbo motor in swmbo’s XC60.
Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - craig-pd130

A post-2014 V60 will probably have Volvo's newish VEA engine. I would ONLY buy one from a Volvo dealer, as the diesel variants of this engine had some serious niggles, and if you buy one privately there's a risk the warranty work may not have been done. The petrol variants seem to be OK.

Otherwise it's a very good car, I had a 2014 model from new for 3 years. Comfortable, spacious, goes very well.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - JonestHon

Add another £1k to your budget and you can jump into a Volvo XC70 with reasonable mileage.

Nice place to be in and your two dogs will agree.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105192833478?m...1

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - S40 Man

Have you considered a VX insignia estate?

You can get 2.0 auto 2016 or 2017

I haven't tried one but my same generation VX Astra is very nice. I think the brand perception is worse than the reality, consequently they depreciate so are better value when 2nd hand. They are also cheaper than volvo or even Skoda when new. This means you can get a much newer car for the same money.

Add another £1k to your budget and you can jump into a Volvo XC70 with reasonable mileage.

Nice place to be in and your two dogs will agree.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105192833478?m...1

As nice as it is, going by what the OP has told us about the usage, I can't see any benefit to an XC70 over a V70. And as for the (big, i.e, heavy) dogs?, well the boot space is exactly the same (as the V70) so the only difference will be it being harder for them to get in as they get older due to the increased ride height.

Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - SLO76
I’d leave the added cost and complexity of the XC70. Why cart 4wd around if you don’t need it? The only V70’s I’d avoid would be the PSA 1.6 diesels and anything fitted with Fords Powershift auto box. This was fitted to some smaller engined Volvo’s.
Volvo V60 - avice on changing cars - stan10

I was going to endorse a Volvo V70, until i re-read your OP where you mentioned a baby on the way, i have had a 35kg Lab, a 32kg Golden Retriever, and a 20kg lab in the back of my V70, - quite comfortably, BUT with the back seats down, so no real room for anything else, so where do you put your baby ? (and all it's "equipment" ?)

So, thinking outside the box, (about a class of vehicle that i admit i don't really have any knowledge of - price/diesel/auto/toys etc.)

What about checking out one of those Ginormous pick ups that seem to be popular with tradesmen nowadays ?

One with 4 passenger doors, and a 'half' length cargo load (big enough for two large dogs), and back seat space for the ankle biter, it's bits and pieces, and probably a bit more space in the load area for any extras ?