What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Niall Fricker

I'm looking for a reliable car either estate or suv to last me the next 12 months until I get a new one. Maximum length of journey it will be doing is around 40 mile round trip once or twice a week, its mostly going to be used to transport my golf clubs and dogs. I really have no other requirements beyond this, just want something that will ideally last the 12 months with no significant issues. Thanks in advance for your help.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - badbusdriver

Do you like to gamble?, because any 'up to £1k' car is going to be just that. No guarantees at this price point, you may get lucky, but you may not.

Buy on condition and buy locally, use the MOT history check to get an idea if the car has been looked after, stick to N/A petrol engine and manual gearbox.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - barney100

My mate never pays anything like a grand, he seems to be lucky as he does little to them except the MOT and they seem to last. I remember his Meriva, an old 320 E class estate, a Jag estate, and now he has perhaps his biggest gamble, a whole £700 for a Freelander. Who would ever choose an 04 Freelander? it looks good and runs well, 'saw it for sale outside a house, knocked on the door and said I'll have it'.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t know why people are put off by cars that cost around £1k . There are plenty of very serviceable cars out there that are actually less trouble than newer vehicles. Astras , Focus and loads of Toyota and Honda models are well worth a punt .
Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - edlithgow

Do you like to gamble?, because any 'up to £1k' car is going to be just that. No guarantees at this price point, you may get lucky, but you may not.

No guarantees at any price point, unless the price includes a guarantee.

Given that its always a gamble, there is a lot to be said for lowering the stakes.

I've never paid anything like a grand either. First car was a rustbucket, because I didn't realise how much almost nothing could buy you, but the rest have been OK apart from two that became undrivable. These probably would have been OK if I'd known about vacuum leaks then.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - edlithgow

I curious.

Lets say you get one and it does what you ask of it for your specified 12 months.

Why would you stop there?

Just moving house so can't afford a new car at the moment but once I've moved I'll be buying one. I'd usually have a new car with all the bells, whistles and most importantly manufacturers warranty.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - badbusdriver

Just to be perfectly clear, I'd be quite happy with a £1k (or less) car myself, and have done many times in the past.

The problem is the OP asking us to recommend a reliable car to last a year. It is an impossible question to answer as even the most reliable steed can be rendered unreliable through many years of neglectful owners. And on the other hand, as Barney points out via his mate, a car typically regarded as unreliable, can fulfil the role required by the OP. But would anyone here recommend a Freelander?.

Ultimately, as I said, it is a gamble, but if you know what you are looking for, or have a friend ho does, there are gems out there for the picking. But you (the OP) will most likely have to fit through a lot of dross to find it.

Best of luck though!

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/07/2021 at 16:48

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - SLO76
Give me a rough area to search and I’ll look up a few worthy of looking at. At this money it’s all down to condition over make and model and what’s available nearby.

Postcode is ct17 don't mind travelling around 70/80 miles

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/ford-c-max/...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/ford-c-max-...l

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2021 at 22:43

This looks promising. Bit greedy but long term owner, affluent address and tough car. Private sale so there will be room to negotiate but you’ll need to stump up a bit more than a £1,000. It’s worth paying a bit more upfront.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-rav4...l

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2021 at 23:02

We carried our Alsatian in a Honda Civic and Lab/Lurcher cross for years without a problem. I’d add in hatchbacks to increase your chances of bagging a reliable car.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/ford-focus-...l
www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vauxhall-as...l
Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Engineer Andy
Give me a rough area to search and I’ll look up a few worthy of looking at.

Moss Side? Lots of 'nice cars' there at very reasonable prices. :-)

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Andrew-T

This is Bangernomics - so search this site for that topic. It appears every so often.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Galaxy

There are plenty of good cars around for sale at £1,000 or less. People now don't want old cars and they are often replaced by their owner just because they are getting old. But they are still perfectly good and reliable cars with very little or even nothing wrong with them. You might possibly be better off buying privately for that sort of price but do make sure it really is a private sale and not a trader pretending to be a private seller. Look for the sellers name and address on the V5/C and if it isn't there just walk away.

Edited by Galaxy on 29/07/2021 at 23:25

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Andrew-T

You might possibly be better off buying privately for that sort of price but do make sure it really is a private sale and not a trader pretending to be a private seller. Look for the sellers name and address on the V5/C and if it isn't there just walk away.

You would most certainly be 'better off' buying privately, all else being equal. Traders have to turn a profit, while private sellers only need to sell. But at this level you are buying a car which has almost no value to the trade, so you have to be choosy, and perhaps look at a lot of cars.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Sprice

Why spend as much as a grand? Less risk spending £300 or so.

Any - Used car for around £1000 or less - Doc
2004 Toyota Yaris VVTI BLUE Hatchback Petrol Manual

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384223964302?hash=item5975886c8...D