What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - Stanster

Looking for suggestions to replace 10 gen Honda civic with a car that has a boot to accommodate golf bag and trolley.

Current Civic has a large boot that can do this so looking for alternative suggestions.

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - SLO76
What sort of money are we talking?
What sort of money are we talking?

Not sure yet, need to price up mine, below 20k
Looking second hand, probably 1/2 years
Just after suggestions

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - badbusdriver

Are there any other requirements at all, other than it being able to fit golf clubs and trolley?

Auto/manual?, petrol/diesel/hybrid/EV?, performance?, comfort?, how many miles do you cover and what type of journeys?, reliability (how long would you intend keeping it)?

Manual, something with a bit of pull but not diesel.

Many short journeys 10 miles or so, tend to changes vehicles on a 3-4 year cycle but think this one may be more of a keeper. Been looking at Mazda's possibly 3 or cx30.

Many short journeys 10 miles or so, tend to changes vehicles on a 3-4 year cycle but think this one may be more of a keeper. Been looking at Mazda's possibly 3 or cx30.

That’s the direction I’d point you. Mazda make some great cars at the moment. Brilliant to drive, robust and good looking. I’d probably aim for a used CX5 2.0 Skyactiv myself. It’s a bit more practical.

I don't play golf, so no idea how much space a set of clubs and trolley takes up, but be aware that both those Mazda's have a smaller boot than your Honda in terms of capacity. Quite a bit smaller in the case of the 3 at 358 litres vs the Civic's 478. The CX30 isn't as far short at 430 litres, but you'd still need to check.

One of my customers has recently chopped in a 2 for a (current) 3, and I must say, in the flesh, I'm not convinced by its looks. The rear quarter just looks too heavy IMO, but the CX30 looks great, so if your golf stuff fits, that's what I'd go for.

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - Engineer Andy

Not sure if the Mazda3 hatch can accommodate you from a boot size perspective - best to bring said golf bag (with clubs in it) and trolley along to find out. I suspect it probably will, despite the boot being 'only' 334L (from Mazda UK's own spec sheet - the figure [444L] quoted in the specs area of the HJ Review section is wrong, and the saloon/fastback boot is 450L (but less accessible due to the much smaller opening.

I can easily fit a golf bag (with clubs in it, not loose) and trolley (in its box) in my gen-1 Mazda3 saloon which has a boot size of around 405 - 410L. Hopefully the latest version of the car has a suitable 'cutout' in the boot to accommodate the golf bag.

The CX-30 also has a 450L boot, but is a hatchback, making it more accessible than the 3 Fastback. It is more expensive than the 3 and, because it's an SUV, has the inherrant (small) drawbacks of higher fuel use (not that much), slightly less performance and not so good handling (higher centre of gravity).

That being said, I am seriously contemplating the CX-30 as opposed to the (lovely looking) 3 Fastback (the hatch is a real looker too) due to the better boot configuration. One other issue to bear in mind is that the 3 at least (can't say for the CX-30, but they do use the same platform underneath) isn't the most roomy car inside, especially the back seats, so try it out first (in addition to any test drive).

The 2.0L Skactiv-X engine is the better overall, especially on perfomance, but you'll pay an extra £2k to get it. Note also that you can't get an auto (if you wanted to consider one) in the (still decent) base-spec SE-L model (hatch only) - only available in SE-L Lux (2L SA-G hatch) and Sport Lux (2L SA-X engined cars) for the Mazda3.

The nicer-riding 16in alloy wheeled cars are also only available in SE-L / SE-L Lux as standard, though I have seen some second hand Sport spec (including SA-X engined models) cars with them instead of 18in rims. Not sure whether the upper spec cars can have them (for free) downgraded from 18in to 16in - it may depend on whether upper spec cars now come with larger brakes than can only be mated with 18in rims.

Get a long (1hr+) test drive on a wide variety of road /surface types (speeds too) to make sure whatever you buy is right for you - a poor driving position or handling/ride quality will not become apparent during a short test drive and/or one pootling around town on smooth roads at 30/40 mph.

It's not the volume but th diagonal width across the boot as that's the only way the clubs go in, unless you take the seats down.

Trolley sits on top.

Need to go to a dealer and have a try ?

Or you could bypass this stage and go straight to a Skoda dealer to buy an Octavia ;-)

Is that a hatchback ?

Need to do some research ??

Is that a hatchback ?

Need to do some research ??

Either hatchback or estate would have ample load space for your needs (600 or 640 litres!)

Not a proper hatchback ??

Not a proper hatchback ??

Not sure what you mean?.

The Octavia is available as either a hatchback or an estate.

To me it looks like a saloon with a glass window in the boot.

I'd need to see one to see how much of a lip there is.

It looks like a saloon (nice) but is a hatch (best of both worlds). If you can live with the size (they are large), then they are very nice cars indeed, especially with the 1.4TSI 150PS version (there is a newer 1.5TSI replacement, but it have some issues, which seemingly have been fixed, but it still seems to be less well regarded than the 1.4 [same power]) which has nice low to mid range grunt. Other who have or did have one can give you more on this.

You may find you might get a better deal on one than the Mazdas (especially the CX-30), which seem to be quite pricey at the moment - probably because they are (in my view) really stylish inside and out. The Octavia 2013-20 version was, though, in my view, the looker of the Skoda range. You could get the last of the Octavia 1.4TSI 150 for a reasonable price.

It's not the volume but th diagonal width across the boot as that's the only way the clubs go in, unless you take the seats down.

Trolley sits on top.

Most Ford Focus sized cars and above have a 'cut out' area which presumably is designed so that golf bags can fit straight across. The latest Mazda3 and CX-30 are at least as wide as my Mazda3 gen-1, if not more so, so it's likely they'll fit across.

The issue with many cars of that size (not the Octavia with its huge boot) is that most have raised boot areas over those like mine built 10-15 years before, and sometimes the boot height is reduced if the car has a spare wheel/tyre (or boot-located ICE), so always check. Cars without a spare can have the boot 'floor' lowered, which is the actual figure they quote for the boot size (sneaky).

I would ALWAYS buy a car with some kind of spare wheel/tyre, even if it's a spacesaver (prefer a full sized one), but that could reduce the available boot height. Best to check for whatever cars get on your final list.

Please DO NOT just pick one that has a big boot - its the overall driving/ownership experience in addition to the boot space needs (others may be just fine) - don't rush into anything - take your time doing the reseach and allow for a decent check inside and long test drive as explained earlier.

Many people end up buying the wrong car (often which is uncomfortable or annoying as regards performance.handling, etc, etc) and losing a pretty penny in the process because they didn't check it thoroughly enough. Make sure if you're not the only driver that whoever else will be using it regularly comes along and checks it out (including driving it) as well.

Note that also find a good, well-regarded dealer (on the maintenance side) - that will often make just as much of a difference to the ownership experience as the car itself.

Best of luck.

What's the difference between the skyactiv g and X ?

The 'G' is essentially the same spark direct injection (DI) petrol engine as the gen-3 car's, which is a low weight, standard-ish engine design.

The 'X' engine is a far higher compression engine that uses spark DI for hard acceleration and on startup, then switches to the same type of combustion via compression (still DI) as diesel engines, thus giving a significant (20-25%) mpg boost when running in that mode (e.g. when the car is under low load - travelling in higher gears at [reasonable and] constant-ish speeds, e.g. on motorways, etc).

The 2L 'SA-G' engine gives only 122PS, whilst the 2L SA-X (which does also have a small supercharger) gives about 180PS and about 5% more torque. The better mpg figures are only when driven 'normally', not hard, when the SA-X engine goes back into a similar operating mode to the SA-G engine.

It's the first petrol engine to have 'mastered' this concept, and was introduced around 2019. Thus far, no reliability issues to do with it of note, but longer term, we'll have to wait and see. I think that the benefits are noticeable, but perhaps not quite as much as first touted.

The SA-G engine in the current gen-4 cars has been further de-rated (from the standard one* fitted to the gen-3 cars) for a 0-60 time of around 10.2 sec as opposed to 8.9 sec; the SA-X has a 0-60 time of around 8.2 sec.

* An uprated (different 'tune') 165PS version of the 2L SA-G engine was fitted to the top spec Sport models of the gen-3 car which had a 0-60 time of about the same as the current SA-X engine, but with a significantly lower (average) mpg. If you drove both 'spiritedly', I doubt if you'd notice much between those two cars in performance or mpg terms.

The SA-X engined cars mean you can drive normally most of the time and get that 25% boost in mpg and have at your disposal that extra 60PS if you need it occasionally like the gen-3 Sport Nav 165 did.

The issue really is whether it's worth the extra, especially as many alternatives, especially from the VAG stable, use smaller capacity (1 - 1.5L TSi) turbocharged engies that in real use appear to be just as fuel efficient as the SA-X engine but under moderate load, you don't have to give it quite the same amount of gas as the Mazdas, which means less noise/perhaps a more relaxed drive.

In the Mazda's favour (other than the styling) is that they are really good at handling and the 'traditional' torque converter autos are very smooth and more reliable (though there is a noticeable drop in performance/mpg of around 10%) than the VAG dual clutch system IF the car is used frequently in slow moving stop-start traffic, i.e. where you effectively 'ride the clutch' or need frequent gear changes.

Again, best to test drive each to see what you prefer - you may not need the extra oomph of the SA-X or you may not like other cars for other reasons. A lot of this is personal preference based on an individual's needs and likes/dislikes.

I test drove a standard (122PS) gen-3 SA-G car but found it not much of an improvement, performance wise (despite the figures showing it should've been significant) over my gen-1 1.6 petrol's if driven normally. It (and the gen-4 SA-G) would be fine as a direct replacement for my car, but I was looking for more on the performance side without needing to thrash it.

Unfortunately, the 2.5L SA-G engine won't be in any UK Mazda3s (it is in ones in North america and Down Under), which gives the same power and more torque than the 2L SA-X (obviously quite a bit less mpg), which is a shame, and likely the turbocharged version of that engine won't either (a top-spec gen-4 car is again only available in those other markets at the moment).

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - Falkirk Bairn

CX3 is small - based on Mazda 2 floor pan

CX3 bigger - based on Mazda 3 floor pan

CX5 is bigger again - based on Mazda 6

CX3 bigger - based on Mazda 3 floor pan

Eh?

CX30 bigger - based on Mazda 3 floor pan

Eh?

No zero on the the second line

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - barney100

We have a varied selection at our club. From tiny Peugeots to Mercedes S classes'. Seems most hatchbacks with folding seats can get the kit in including electric trolly. Indeed my previous SLK could get the lot in if I carried the clubs in the cabin. Basically most cars can cope although some like my SLK needed a bit of imagination.

There is a bit of a lip, but looking at pictures, it appears no bigger than that of your Civic.

Skyactive G is Mazda's long running 2.0 n/a petrol making around 120bhp, Skyactive X is their newer 'fancy pants' compression ignition petrol making around 180bhp.

Honda Civic - Hatchback / SUV with large boot for golf clubs. - FP

"Skyactive G is Mazda's long running 2.0 n/a petrol making around 120bhp."

Not accurate without qualification - it depends on the model, year and level of tune. For example, in the CX-5 (probably the biggest load it has to lug) the Skyactiv G produces 147 - 191 bhp. Mine (2014 SportNav) is quoted as 165 bhp.

The SkyActiv X output in the Mazda 3 is quoted as 178 bhp.

"Skyactive G is Mazda's long running 2.0 n/a petrol making around 120bhp."

Not accurate without qualification - it depends on the model, year and level of tune. For example, in the CX-5 (probably the biggest load it has to lug) the Skyactiv G produces 147 - 191 bhp. Mine (2014 SportNav) is quoted as 165 bhp.

The SkyActiv X output in the Mazda 3 is quoted as 178 bhp.

Actually it is entirely accurate in the context of what the OP is interested in. SLO may've suggested the CX5, but the OP has expressed interest in the 3 and CX30 only. In those two Madza's, the Skyactive G makes around 120bhp and the X makes around 180bhp. Note in both cases, the use of the word 'around' before the figure, which in this case means the figure quoted is 'close to the actual power output, but not exact'.

For example 178bhp is 'around 180bhp'...........

Think the G will be ok for my use as nice as X would be it would be wasted for the sort of trips and mileage I'd be doing ??

Think the G will be ok for my use as nice as X would be it would be wasted for the sort of trips and mileage I'd be doing ??

I’m no speed demon, the lower power motor would do me fine too. All are capable of overtaking safely and fit for sitting at limit bursting speeds on the motorway. I’d only be really concerned about power if I lived in a particularly hilly area or I regularly towed a caravan.

So local Mazda dealer was supposed to call today but didn't, had issues with them a few years back when I took a car in for trade in valuation but they never got back to me ( I'm guessing because they didn't have a car in stock I was interested in and I wasn't buying new).

So phoned up Honda and asked about a new civic, the 1.5T.

Came up with quite a good deal , trade in was a few hundred short of what I'd want.

Finance wise I could go HP rather than PCP, which on paper looks better.

What else could I push them for ?