What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - ARKerslake

Hi everyone!

I'm after some buying advice - i've fallen in love with this car once i test drove it and i'd really like to buy it. However there are a few red flags:

• Service history is sporadic
  • 144k miles
  • Private seller

***Manual Diesel***

The MOT history is good and has been well looked after mechanically - and i'm assured it will be sold to me with all known faults fixed. (I wont buy unless those terms are met) It has brand new wheels and tyres all round, MOT expires in 6 months. It's recently had a new clutch and flywheel, gearbox oil changed and a minor service. All receipts have been seen.

I'm going to run a HPI check on the car, and then send a qualified mechanic to do a full inspection and test drive of the vehicle to ensure peace of mind. I don't mind spending money on the car as its a loaded spec and something i've wanted for years - i just don't want it to be a ticking time bomb that will leave a massive hole in my pocket to repair.

If anyone has any advice/experience with these engines @ high mileage then please let me know or if anyone has any more general buying advice then please share it with me!

Edited by ARKerslake on 19/07/2021 at 10:29

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - _

If you are buying, and have enough cash for some potentially very expensive servicing and repairs, up to you, IF the price is good.

How long has the current owner had the car.

And beware, you have Zero comeback on a private sale, so if you get nything said about the car, get it put in writing..

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - ARKerslake

Its 5k, and i have about half again to cover any faults/pre checks to get her to me. Current owner has only had it 6 months (so had 12 months MOT when he bought it, with no advisories) but is selling due to his address being in the new low emission zone. (which this car does not pass).

Thanks for that ^ i will do.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - daveyjp

No reason it won't do 300k miles, but not without running repairs and preventative maintenance.

Cambelt, water pump etc should be done as a minimum.

for sure - that's what i would do. Thank you for ya input!

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - newguy2015
Alarm bells would be ringing in my head with the owner getting rid after 6 months. With COVID perhaps they decided they were not going to do many miles or have lost a job. But are they hiding a fault they haven’t been able to fix.
2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - Theophilus

My understanding (which may of course be faulty!) is that the intention to extend the London ULEZ to all areas inside the North & South Circular Roads was announced by Sadiq Khan more than 3 years ago in 2018 ... if so the excuse by the seller that he is not keeping the car beyond 6 months because it does not comply with ULEZ seems to lack either foresight or verisimilitude.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - SLO76
Wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. Very complex turbo diesel motor, complex and expensive to repair 4wd system, prestige brand with expensive parts and worst of all the seller has only owned it a matter of months. He obviously knew 6mths ago about the emissions zone boundary changes, it’s not been a secret. Truth is the car has a costly major issue lurking and he wants out of it. Invest £5k in this and you could lose the lot next week. Either spend £15k plus on a newer equivalent or live within your means and buy a much more modest petrol engined hatchback, you don’t have the budget for a high performance 4wd prestige turbo diesel executive I’m afraid.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/07/2021 at 14:42

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - elekie&a/c doctor
Expensive repair looming. Very likely to be timing chains worn out . Engine out job .
2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - madf

Typical bargepole job.

As prior owner no doubt found out and is dumping it on the next unsuspecting punter.

It's an Audi so ££££s.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - Rerepo

Another with champagne tastes and beer money......

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - pd

If you know what you are looking at and know the sort of gamble these cars are, why not? If you don't then buy a Fiesta.

As others have mentioned this is, I think, the cam chain version of the engine and they are not unknown for wearing out (earlier were cambelt and better). They are a big job to change so check it carefully for that.

Otherwise it is just usual used car stuff. The clutch and flywheel being changed is promising. It's an old high mileage Audi, there will be stuff wrong with it and more will go wrong. As long as you accept that then fine and go into knowing that you may have dump it out to WeBuyAnyCar at some point.

Edited by pd on 19/07/2021 at 17:45

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - nellyjak

Agree with most other posters.....I reckon you could be looking at a whole new world of expensive pain...and maybe sooner than you think.

I'd look elsewhere.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - _

Another with champagne tastes and beer money......

I think the OP said he has the funds for some repairs, his choice, but the remark champagne taste etc could apply to all of us.

If he does buy and is aware of the risks that is his choice, Not mine, but we are all different.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - badbusdriver

Think I've found the car on Autotrader; 202009143719363

Can't help noticing that while the dealer does not have much reviews, the four reviews they do have give a score of two out of five!.

I think I'd give this one a miss to be honest.

Edit, Maybe not the OP's car, just noticed OP said private sale which the above isn't. Bit of a coincidence though, with the same age and exact same miles?

Edited by badbusdriver on 19/07/2021 at 21:02

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - Xileno

Can't be that one, the OP mentions a 'private seller'.

Can't be that one, the OP mentions a 'private seller'.

Sounds like the very car. These aren’t common and to find two for sale with exactly the same mileage is highly unlikely. I’ll bet it’s the very car. Has the dealer been trying offload it from his house in a “private sale” to avoid the likely comeback it’s certain to produce? It’s not uncommon.
2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - Sprice

The car in the above link is showing as recently expired MOT - 15th July - OP seems to think there's 6 months remaining? Also VED expired 30/11/2020. The MOT history site won't accept the NI number plate of the car in the link, so can't check the history, but just realised OP states "S Line", the car in the link is SE, so may be a coincidence there are two for sale!

Edited by Sprice on 19/07/2021 at 22:13

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - JonestHon

Don't walk away - run away.

Suspect from the silence that the OP didn’t like our advice.
2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - Xileno

Definitely not the blue car on Autotrader, the OP has raised a thread on another forum where the car is mentioned as being black.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - barney100

Sounds like the seller didn't have much sense buying the car with the low emission rules coming in his area. I wouldn't buy it, could be a money pit unless you are lucky.

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - sammy1

Wheeler Dealer featured an older model with a wheel bearing gone. I think Ed used a 4foot scaffold bar to give leverage to get the old one out. Agree with the views high miles and be prepared to keep spending money on it

2008 Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro S-line - Buying advice for a 144k Audi A4 - John F

A thirteen year old car approaching 150,000 is always going to be a gamble - and that's how the OP should see it. It's rare, and its powerful diesel engine (Audi are renowned for these at Le Mans) will have done little hard work. The quattro system is robust. With the above dealer advert for a similar car in hand, he should be able to negotiate a price reduction.