What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - daveyjp

Ooh the delights of this process.

We had our street done yesterday. Spray tar, lay chippings, repeat, leave site.

24 hours after the job and no sign of a sweeper so we now have a very loose surface. Most respect that, but about 5% of drivers go into full 'McRae' mode and think they are on a Welsh rally stage, despite it being a 20 limit.

We've had a few doing the stage start and spinning wheels on take off from a junction, but it has just culminated in an awful tyres in moving gravel sound and a big bang.

The local brain dead GTI driver (70 reg) has taken the right turn at speed, not understood understeer on gravel, hit the kerb and ripped off the front nearside wheel. My how we laughed.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - badbusdriver

Lot of that happening around my neck of the wood too, must be the time of year!

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - craig-pd130

Indeed, a fair bit of it being done round here too. It's no fun riding on it on a motorbike, let me tell you.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - Ethan Edwards

It's all over the place in Essex too. They have a lot of road markings to replace as well. Sadly this cheap and nasty road treatment appears to be done on areas that don't actually need it and completely avoids areas with big potholes. Top job ECC.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - bathtub tom

I was surprised to see this was done in the IOM shortly before the TT.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - focussed

Indeed, a fair bit of it being done round here too. It's no fun riding on it on a motorbike, let me tell you.

The really dangerous stuff is that very fine crushed granite that is used to top dress the random repair patches. Avoid at all costs if you can, it's like riding on ball bearings.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - Engineer Andy

The really dangerous stuff is that very fine crushed granite that is used to top dress the random repair patches. Avoid at all costs if you can, it's like riding on ball bearings.

Plus this type of surface (mainly when new, but still for a long time afterwards) is great for pinging up stones and ruining paintwork and windscreens, especially when i****s travel well above the temporary speed limits for the week (urgh) or so after the surface is 'laid'.

Councils boast about it also being 'harder wearing' and 'far cheaper' than proper tarmac surfaces, but Herts CC top-dressed the A505 near me and it has already badly deteriorated after just two years. Why - because they never fix the underlying causes, which are damaged sub-surfaces (concrete) and/or damaged tarmac, where they mostly just put the same top-dressed chippings to replace the worn tarmac (which was worn because the sub-surface hasn't been repaired.

Often the root cause is poor drainage (whether none at all, not placed at actual low points or not unblocked [often by material blown in from nearby farmer's fields]), leading to standing water in winter, which freezes/unfreezes and rapidly destroys the roadway. Also bad in underpasses/frost hollows under bridges - especially with the aforementioned drainage issues.

I suspect they end up spending more money fixing badly damaged roads and top-dressing every few years, rather than getting to the root of the problem. ironically, because top-dressed / chipped surfaces are often badly laid with lots of loose chippings, they end up in drains, blockding them, which causes water to build up...

I certainly wouldn't want to cycle on them either.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - John F

24 hours after the job and no sign of a sweeper so we now have a very loose surface.

This is because they rely on vehicle wheels to finish off the cheap and not very cheerful job of rolling the stones into the bitumen.

Info we received was a sweep would take place on the two days following the work. First one was about an hour ago, so two days after,

Its too late for a neighbours wall which was hit sometime overnight by another budding rally driver who drove off with severe damage to the car's front end.

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - dan86

At least you've had your road resurfaced round here the council use the potholes as a traffic calming measure. but you're right people drive far to fast on the loose gravel when they have applied it

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - badbusdriver

24 hours after the job and no sign of a sweeper so we now have a very loose surface.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is because they rely on vehicle wheels to finish off the cheap and not very cheerful job of rolling the stones into the bitumen.

Back when I drove buses, if on a road which had been dressed, I'd deliberately drive outwith the existing tracks (assuming it was safe to do so of course!) to do my bit in spending up this process.

Due to the excess of chippings I have avoided using the street for the last three weeks. We had a sweeper twice, but the chippings are still everywhere.

Yesterday I had no choice but to use it and guess what? Temporary lights, Northern Gas are replacing gas pipes. New surface alteady dug up for about 100m!

N/a - Surface dressing road surfacing - Engineer Andy

Due to the excess of chippings I have avoided using the street for the last three weeks. We had a sweeper twice, but the chippings are still everywhere.

Yesterday I had no choice but to use it and guess what? Temporary lights, Northern Gas are replacing gas pipes. New surface alteady dug up for about 100m!

Sadly par for the course these days - I've seen that happen many a time, including last month when the county council resurfaced the road from my local station traffic lights all the way into town (actually the only sections needed resurfacing were the traffic lights area and two small areas, not 500m worth), then their own contractor came back three weeks later and dug up some of the newly laid area by the station to install new traffic lights!

I give up sometimes at their ineptitude and ability to waste £000ks of public money year after year.

With your situation, all the utility companies and construction companies should be forced to give councils and the Highways authorities their provisional schedules where they will need to dig up the road/paths for planned works or where certain faults that will likely need digging them up to occur, so that any resurfacing, other highway works etc can be suitably planned/co-ordinated to reduce costs, wasted effort and disruption.

I mean, it was adequately explained in the 1980s/90s for a blimmin' Heineken advert.