What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - kaesar

I have a budget of £10-12k, perhaps a little higher if something stands out, and would like to get myself a large-ish (ie Golf is minimum size) second-hand car. My priority is something that is comfortable, spacious, hopefully stands out a bit and has decent performance. I am only doing around 10k miles a year so fuel costs are not my biggest concern. Also I won't be pottering aroung in it doing small journeys. We are a family of 4, all full sized adults, and wouldn't anticipate needing to carry more people than that very often. I would ideally like something with less than 60k miles but perhaps could be persuaded to go to 80k.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - groaver

Spacious, decent performance, 4 full sized adults, fuel costs not a concern:

Skoda superb 3.6 V6 Elegance -

www.motors.co.uk/car-59991292

What is the general consensus on miles vs age? That Skoda for instance ticks all the boxes, has even less miles than my limit, but is 12 years old. My gut feeling is that less miles is more important than actual age but I would love to hear other thoughts.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - Graham567
£585 road tax no thanks

How about this...

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239374141?r...1
Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - badbusdriver
How about this... www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239374141?r...1

From the OP,

hopefully stands out a bit

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/07/2021 at 19:23

Miles, within reason, isn't really that important. What is important is that the car has been serviced properly and not been abused.

Age?, again within reason (and 12 years, to me, is well within reason!) wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - Alby Back
I suppose I'd rather buy a five year old car with 100,000 miles than a ten year old one with 50,000 miles, provided the service history was good and verifiable.

Of course, there will always be usage exceptions, but a car that has clocked up bigger miles in its early years, is more likely at least, to have done that on longer, less mechanically stressful runs. Whereas, a car that has notably low mileage for its age may well, or is more likely, to have spent most of its time being used on short, more mechanically taxing journeys.

Probably.

;-)

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - John F

What is the general consensus on miles vs age?....... My gut feeling is that less miles is more important than actual age but I would love to hear other thoughts.

It depends on annual mileage and corrosion liability. As a low mileage driver I looked for younger cars with a mileage high enough to make them difficult to sell. A high miler would probably do better with an old car with only a few miles on the clock. At 10k per annum you are sort of in between. Although cars have long been designed to live and last outside, if you intend to keep it indefinitely it would be worth considering an aluminium car, e.g. Audi A8, Jaguar XF.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - JonestHon

If I had your criteria I would go for a big Lexus, the hybrids are super reliable, one of my colleagues have one and he doesn't shut up about it.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102139037843?a...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107064718385?a...3

Download the app to find your perfect car.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotr...e

Download the app to find your perfect car.

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotr...e

Edited by JonestHon on 14/07/2021 at 19:35

If I had your criteria I would go for a big Lexus, the hybrids are super reliable, one of my colleagues have one and he doesn't shut up about it.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102139037843?a...3

I'd favour a Lexus too, but not one with nearly 140k miles!.

Was looking at this one on Autotrader myself though, 202104231725167

Not usually a fan of German prestige brands, but in the OP's case, there may be some options.

British, a bit older, and tax is expensive, but i really like this!,

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - Xileno

A Mondeo would tick the boxes with the exception of 'standing out a bit'. However, your budget would get a very nice example.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - Big John

I suppose I'd rather buy a five year old car with 100,000 miles than a ten year old one with 50,000 miles, provided the service history was good and verifiable.

I'd agree with that

Also £12k would buy a lot of Skoda Superb (ignoring the tempting but unrealistic v6 one mentioned)

So a lot of the suggestions are very nice but often older than I had anticipated (in years). As I say, I have rarely bought cars before - I have only had 4 main cars in 25 years+ of driving - so I am very green in terms of understanding how important age is. Not to belabour the point, but do many of you not see a problem with buying a 10+ year old car?

I do like all the suggestions though - exactly the type of stuff I had thought about (German, Japanese, big, distinctive in many cases). I did have a Mondeo for 10 years and would have no problem going back to one either, even if they have that bland image.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - barney100

I am a Mercedes fan and an E class would be well on my list. They don't have cam belts either, the engine choice is excellent, I have a 220d as I don't belt around now but the 320s give effortless performance. Caveat is that dealers are expensive so you need a good indie but there are numerous E class' around so you can pick a good one.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - John F

.... but do many of you not see a problem with buying a 10+ year old car?

Depends on the car. Thirsty luxobarges are their manufacturer's flagships and are usually made from the best quality materials by the most competent workers. They tend to do their biggest annual mileage (and it's often not that big) in their first year or three of usually careful ownership. Thereafter they often do far fewer miles per annum. Seven years ago I bought an eight year old Audi A8 at only 49,000 miles. Now fifteen going on sixteen with only 72,000 miles it is still in excellent condition.

Electrical parts and rubbery bits are made of materials far more resistant to corrosion and deterioration than ever before. Recently I had to remove a front wheel and the plastic inner wheel arch to gain access to a blocked screen washer pump intake filter. None of the screws and clips securing it to the aluminium bodywork showed any sign of corrosion, and neither did anything else in the vicinity.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - SLO76
One car sticks out for me here, the Mazda 6. It’s not exactly fast with the 2.0 Skyactiv petrol but it’s good looking, reliable, decent on fuel and brilliant to drive. The diesels are best avoided however.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107094832469

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106093672845

Not to belabour the point, but do many of you not see a problem with buying a 10+ year old car?

The van I rely on for my work is a 2010 VW Caddy with over 110k miles on it. So, in a word, no.

Update to my original post.

I have now decided that I need either an Estate or Hatchback and have saved 20+ on the Auotrader app to examine further. I actually prefer the look of most saloons, but I think the added practicality of HB or Estate will be valuable.

Here's the big thing though - I live in Northern Ireland. Is travelling to the mainland to buy a used car seen as too risky? My plan would be to fly into a nearby airport and use public transport/taxis to get around then drive the car to a ferry (either Wales-Dublin, or Liverpool/Stranraer-NI) and home. My initial thought is that I would only buy from a dealer and not private and that I would have a shortlist of at least 2-3 options so that if something was off on my first choice, I would have a valid backup plan.

I don't mind the extra expense - in general I think the cars over there are cheaper, plus there are a ton more options. What other kind of safeguards could I take?

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - SLO76
I’d be wary of buying a car in NI. I’ve often sat at auctions watching NI dealers paying fortunes for rough cars with zero history, only to see them reappear for sale later with a mysterious “full service history.” The prices are higher and there are plenty of dodgy traders to avoid. I’m not saying all is 100% elsewhere of course but Northern Ireland is a bit notorious regarding dodgy car sales.

As a bus driver I see transporter loads of rough metal heading to Cairnryan to board the ferry, none of it is touch as a trader or private buyer.
Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - _

If you are travelling to the mainland, I would humbly suggest that whatever you purchase, you drive it here for a week and any faults get them rectified by the selling dealer, as no faults will be covered by anything other than a manufacturers warranty.

For the extra risk and cost, I'd be looking at cars in your area, as getting anything back to a uk mainland dealer might be very expensive , if it has to be transported,

Think TWICE.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - tight git

Possibly consider a Kia C'eed provided it is still covered by the 7 year manufacturers warranty and assuming that it is transferable to NI and a NI dealer will look after it.

Recommendation - comfortable, large car. c£12000 - Sam Silva

You can get a kia approved Ceed for 12k.the approved use car comes with 7 years warranty from the date you buy.