What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - Ash01

Hi,

Looking for advice on buying a used 530i petrol automatic.

It's around 140k mileage. Previous MoT looks ok but there was an oil leak mentioned in advisory.

Any advice would.be appreciated on pros and cons of the car.

Thanks.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - badbusdriver

Pro's: The 6 cyl petrol is amongst the most reliable BMW power units.

Con's: 13 year old BMW (how many previous owners, how have they driven/looked after it?)

If you really want an old Beemer, get something with this (or another 6 pot) engine, but one which has ample evidence of having been cherished, and no evidence of an oil leak.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - Ash01

Thanks. 3 owners. Full service history.

Checked MOTs they look ok.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - badbusdriver

3 owners isn't much, which is good. How long has its current/most recent owner had it?. I'm wondering if the oil leak is the reason it is now for sale?.

Not enough knowledge to say one way or t'other, but I'd be going nowhere near it without further investigation into the oil leak, how serious and costly it would be to fix.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - Engineer Andy

3 owners isn't much, which is good. How long has its current/most recent owner had it?. I'm wondering if the oil leak is the reason it is now for sale?.

Not enough knowledge to say one way or t'other, but I'd be going nowhere near it without further investigation into the oil leak, how serious and costly it would be to fix.

A former colleague had an oil leak in his BMW (diesel) that he neglected to fix because it was only a 'small one' but one day it decided to dump the entire contents onto his driveway when he started it one morning to drive to work ruining both engine and driveway and costing him several £0000s to put right.

I agree that the car should be thoroughly checked, and the current owner should move it off their parking spot (hopefully their driveway/allocated space) to check for fresh oil spots there. There were some under my colleagues car at work in the month or so before the catastrophic failure.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - SLO76
“ Hi,

Looking for advice on buying a used 530i petrol automatic.”

Don’t. Buy a smaller more sensible mass market car that suits your budget instead.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/07/2021 at 00:13

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - madf

You are looking at potential suspension, brake and electrical component issues.

Even if you diy- and it is not easy, it is a complex car. Parts are not cheap. Garages are not cheap. Tyres are not cheap.

Reserve £2 to £3k for repairs.

Just buy something less complex. New they are £40k plus. Repairs are in line with new price/

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - nellyjak

Agree with above.....you could be looking at a whole world of pain in respect of repairs/maintenance costs.

Can understand the attraction but I'd be looking for something less exotic tbh.

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - John F

I wouldn't worry about a small oil leak. My TR7 has had one for forty years. To fail an MoT it must make a puddle greater than 75mm diameter within five minutes, which would need at least a couple of drips per minute. Have a look underneath to make sure it's engine oil, not transmission fluid. Use it as a bargaining chip; practise a doubtful expression and the sucking in of air through the teeth......

Edited by John F on 15/07/2021 at 09:54

Bmw 530i - Bmw 530i petrol automatic 2008 used - Alby Back
Depends where you're starting from. If the cost of buying the car is more or less loose change to you, and you could easily afford to spend more on it if or when required, then what the heck, buy it if you like it.

If however, you're looking at spending all your savings, or having to sell a kidney to buy it, then it's probably not such a great idea.

;-)