What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Mmarsh1972

Hello All

I have a 2012 Honda Jazz.

Great Car, but I do have one little issue with it and thats my driving position. I just cannot seem to get it right.

The problem is I cannot keep my right arm on the steering wheel for more than a few mins otherwise its gets too tired and I am forced to drop it. I don't know of its the seat or the steerling wheel. I just cannot find a comfortable position and am forced to drive with my left arm only which is unsafe.

I don't have the problem when I was driving other makes (Peugeot/Citroen/Volvo). Its just seems to be with MY car (which was originally my ex-wife's car).

Any suggestions?

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 13/07/2021 at 10:08

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - John F

The problem is I cannot keep my right arm on the steering wheel for more than a few mins otherwise its gets too tired and I am forced to drop it.

I don't have the problem when I was driving other makes (Peugeot/Citroen/Volvo). Its just seems to be with MY car (which was originally my ex-wife's car).

Any suggestions?

Subliminal supraspinatus tendinitis, rendered noticeable by the psychological effect of driving ex-wife's car?

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - catsdad

You may be best to address your whole driving position. HJ used to recommend a Loughborough Uni site and I have just checked and it’s still active. I can’t post links but if you Google “driving ergonomics Loughborough” you will be able to find it. It takes you through the whole set up in a logical ergonomic order.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Engineer Andy

Hello All

I have a 2012 Honda Jazz.

Great Car, but I do have one little issue with it and thats my driving position. I just cannot seem to get it right.

The problem is I cannot keep my right arm on the steering wheel for more than a few mins otherwise its gets too tired and I am forced to drop it. I don't know of its the seat or the steerling wheel. I just cannot find a comfortable position and am forced to drive with my left arm only which is unsafe.

Any suggestions?

For that sort of thing, the normal cause is how offset the steering wheel is compared to the seaing position. Some cars are worse than others, though the problem is *mainly* on smaller (narrower) cars where more of a compromise has to be made.

I don't recall this issue being a particular issue for the gen-2 Jazz on the review page on this site (especially the Driving and Good/Bad sub-sections or owner's reviews).

I suffered significant back problems after a year's ownership of my first car, a mid 90s Nissan Micra. Again, that car had no reports of this type anywhere. I found that the main reason why I had problems was because I had the seating position one notch too far away, meaning I was always stretching to reach the pedals and steering wheel.

The only reason why it went from ok to not was because I'd changed jobs from one travelling at 30mph tops in often heavy traffic for 8 miles (each way) to going at a more decent clip most of the time, often on winding roads and for 20 miles each way.

Unfortuantely for me, the car had no steering wheel reach adjustment (height, yes), and the seat didn't itself adjust for height (which may or may not have made a difference), just the usual distance back-forward and the angle of the seat back.

In the end, moving the seat one notch forward and slightly making it more upright made enough of a difference for my back problems to cease. Try also finding on the Interweb a guide to how to adjust your driving position to make it comfortable and ergonomic for driving.

With the distance away issue, you need to be able to fully depress the clutch (or simulate that with your left foot) with you not sliding forward; similarly with the steering wheel held (both hands) at the 12 o'clock position, you should not have to lean forward either, and when your hands are in the normal (straight ahead) driving position (say quarter to three), your arms should be bent, but not too much.

Your knees should also never touch the bottom of the steering column when driving - often that's a sign of you being too close to the steering wheel. Hopefully if your car has an adjustment for steering wheel reach, then that should help a lot.

Height adjustment of the steering wheel is more so you can see all the dash instruments; the seat height is more if you are either well above or below average height to be able to see properly forward and without 'perching' on the seat. When you depress the pedals, you should be able to do so without it pinching on the back of the knee.

Sometimes it can take a while to find a good driving position - some people seem more attuned to what works for them and can adjust it quickly, or that some people with certain physiology or susceptibility to joint problmes may find it takes longer. It's best, once you got something in theory that works that you drive with it for a good few trips first, and see how you go. If it isn't working, change one thing, and repeat.

I do somewhere have a guide to this (I last used it 15 years ago when I bought my current car), but I'll have to find it first and scan it onto my computer/upload it. Hopefully someone else either has something to hand or a website they can recommend you visit with such tips and has useful diagrams/photos to assist.

Best of luck. It took me a month on my current car to get the adjustments just right.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Andrew-T

People come in an array of different shapes and sizes, some with short or long appendages: my daughter has short legs, which put the pedals out of reach for her in some cars.

Similarly with cars - all have adjustable front seats, and most also steering wheels. Despite that, some people find that a comfortable position cannot be found in some cars. It may be that Japanese cars are shaped for the average Japanese.

When Fiat launched the first Punto (about 1990?) the hype claimed that its seats were designed by an osteopath. I had one for a year or two; the seats were fine, as were those in all the various Pug 205s I owned. But I had to dispose of a 206 after a couple of months because it became uncomfortable to sit in after about an hour.

The only way to prevent the problem may be to have a long test drive before buying.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - madf

No problems with my 2012 Jazz.

Adjusted seat height and rake, steering column height and no issues at all in 9 years of driving it.

I did ensure I drove for 60 minutes and sat in it for at least 30 minutes stationary before buying.

You can also adjust seat height and rake. Or add a cushion.

I assume you have tried all these?

Edited by madf on 13/07/2021 at 14:21

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Engineer Andy

People come in an array of different shapes and sizes, some with short or long appendages: my daughter has short legs, which put the pedals out of reach for her in some cars.

Similarly with cars - all have adjustable front seats, and most also steering wheels. Despite that, some people find that a comfortable position cannot be found in some cars. It may be that Japanese cars are shaped for the average Japanese.

When Fiat launched the first Punto (about 1990?) the hype claimed that its seats were designed by an osteopath. I had one for a year or two; the seats were fine, as were those in all the various Pug 205s I owned. But I had to dispose of a 206 after a couple of months because it became uncomfortable to sit in after about an hour.

The only way to prevent the problem may be to have a long test drive before buying.

I agree that an extended test drive is essential for this and other reasons when you get down to the final 2-3 cars.

When I was looking to replace my (now) 15yo Mazda3, I looked at many cars, one being the Nissan Pulsar. I found just sitting in it in the showroom that the steering wheel was significantly offset to the left in comparison to my current car. I knew straight away that it was not going to be a comfortable one for me to drive.

Not sure if it was the 205 - it may have been its successor, the 206, but I do recall reading a thread on offset steering wheels and pedals on a Pug of that era - at the very least a small French car.

Swedish cars, especially SAABs, have always been renowned for their internal ergonmics and seat designs. One thing that often gets overlooked in the seat design are the side seat bolsters, which I still read complaints about even on new car reviews from drivers, who move about too much when cornering.

IMHO, driver ergonomics and comfort should be a given on car design, and thus they should be able to fully adjust seat and steering wheel positon and orientation sufficiently so that practically all people who can at least fit into the car (obviously some significant outliers may find it a problem) can find a comfortable, safe driving position.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - daveyK_UK
Agree with this original post,
I found I had the exact same issue in a 12 plate Jazz; Same issue but not as bad in the next gen 17 plate Jazz but no issue at all in the new Jazz (21 plate) which I thought was a brilliant car and way too good to be a hire car (normally end up with a corsa!).

Highly impressed with the latest Jazz, awesome car.

<< Not sure if it was the 205 - it may have been its successor, the 206, but I do recall reading a thread on offset steering wheels and pedals on a Pug of that era - at the very least a small French car. >>

It may have been the 106. When the 205 run came to its end in the early 90s, it was replaced by the 106 and 306, which were essentially a reduction or an expansion of that model. The 106 was really too small and had a very cramped front footwell with pedals pushed towards the centre by the wheel arch. I had one for a while, but found my feet were too big for it. Nice car otherwise.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Bilboman

I imagine most cars are initially designed as LHD and later reworked more or less satisfactorily for RHD markets. It would be unusual for a Japanese car (i.e. RHD in its homeland) car, but who knows what goes on in this ever-more globalised world we live in? We are all familiar with the compromises of indicators on the "wrong" side and wipers that don't clear the screen properly (Australian and South Afrtican markets didn't seem to suffer this nonsense as I recall!), and also gloveboxes rendered useless by fuseboxes, etc. Early VW Polos couldn't accommodate a brake servo on RHD models; the list goes on.... But there's also the annoying lack of footrest for the left foot and offset pedals and steering wheels, especially on smaller cars. Years ago Vauxhall used to swap the rear wiper over for RHD to make rainy reversing easier and they even gave us twin rear foglights, while continental Opels made do with one. Standardisation and cost-cutting has inevitably taken its toll.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - movilogo

Driving positions in some cars simply do not work with some individuals - however many adjustments you may try.

Usually any test drive of 1 hour or longer should reveal this.

Many years back I test drove Honda Jazz and I could not get comfortable so decided against buying the car.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Falkirk Bairn

You actually have to test drive the actual model you are buying

Testing a LX and finding it fine does not mean the GLX will be - the GLX may have bolsters on the seat sides or on the backrest that makes the chair uncomfortable for you.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Alby Back
Does it really matter with a Jazz? I mean it's not like you're likely to go far in it is it? Garden centre, bowling club maybe, doctors appointment perhaps. All at a steady 40mph of course...

;-))
Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Steveieb

I love the Jazz but I find the bumpy ride and hard seats puts me off.

Does it really matter with a Jazz? I mean it's not like you're likely to go far in it is it? Garden centre, bowling club maybe, doctors appointment perhaps. All at a steady 40mph of course... ;-))

I went to Scotland and back in 24 hours - including a sleep in the middle lane as it was so boring at 40 on the M6.

:-)

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Rerepo

I imagine most cars are initially designed as LHD and later reworked more or less satisfactorily for RHD markets. It would be unusual for a Japanese car (i.e. RHD in its homeland) car, but who knows what goes on in this ever-more globalised world we live in? We are all familiar with the compromises of indicators on the "wrong" side and wipers that don't clear the screen properly (Australian and South Afrtican markets didn't seem to suffer this nonsense as I recall!), and also gloveboxes rendered useless by fuseboxes, etc. Early VW Polos couldn't accommodate a brake servo on RHD models; the list goes on.... But there's also the annoying lack of footrest for the left foot and offset pedals and steering wheels, especially on smaller cars. Years ago Vauxhall used to swap the rear wiper over for RHD to make rainy reversing easier and they even gave us twin rear foglights, while continental Opels made do with one. Standardisation and cost-cutting has inevitably taken its toll.

Prior to joining the EU British cars had the indicator stalk where it should be i.e. on the right. Then we joined the EU and the French and Germans demanded ALL cars sold in the EU had the stalk on the left. Other RHD countries like Aus, NZ, Thailand etc have the stalk on the right. Maybe as a mark of our independence we should demand all UK market cars meet UK specifications - i.e. stalk on the right.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - RT

Prior to joining the EU British cars had the indicator stalk where it should be i.e. on the right. Then we joined the EU and the French and Germans demanded ALL cars sold in the EU had the stalk on the left. Other RHD countries like Aus, NZ, Thailand etc have the stalk on the right. Maybe as a mark of our independence we should demand all UK market cars meet UK specifications - i.e. stalk on the right.

That's not correct - there was no EU directive, simply cheaper manufacture to use the same components as LHD cars - until about 2012, Hyundai built RHD cars with Australian -style indicators.

That's not correct - there was no EU directive, simply cheaper manufacture to use the same components as LHD cars - until about 2012, Hyundai built RHD cars with Australian -style indicators.

You are not correct. RHD cars in the EU must have indicators on the left. Its nothing to do with cheaper manufacture. UK built Quashqi has indicators on the left for UK market and indicators on the right for non-EU RHD export. Ditto UK built Toyotas. Japanese built GT86 is fitted with LH indicator stalk for the UK but RH stalk for Japan, Australia, Thailand etc.

0ne of the things we should do post-Brexit is establish regulations that REQUIRE the indicators to be on the right stalk!

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - John F

That's not correct - there was no EU directive, simply cheaper manufacture to use the same components as LHD cars

You are not correct. RHD cars in the EU must have indicators on the left. Its nothing to do with cheaper manufacture. UK built Quashqi has indicators on the left for UK market and indicators on the right for non-EU RHD export.

0ne of the things we should do post-Brexit is establish regulations that REQUIRE the indicators to be on the right stalk!

This argument would be irrelevant if the indicator control was where it used to be on a well made English car - on the top of the boss of the steering wheel, thus almost entirely obviating both left/right confusion and the unintended operation of the windscreen wipers. Whether RHD or LHD, moving it to the left or the right intuitively caused the trafficator to emerge from the corresponding B pillar. Harrumph!!

<< One of the things we should do post-Brexit is establish regulations that REQUIRE the indicators to be on the right stalk! >>

I see - just replace one diktat with an opposite one, mainly in order to feel better for thumbing a nose at some disliked authority.

Rather juvenile.

Unless you frequently drive many different cars, it's no big deal to get accustomed to indicators on one side or the other - as one used to have to if one decided to buy a Japanese car, for example.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - alan1302

Maybe as a mark of our independence we should demand all UK market cars meet UK specifications - i.e. stalk on the right.

I would not want the indicators on the right - am happy with them where they are thanks. No need to change things just because we are not in the EU...stop being wet.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Xileno

I don't see the problem either, for years I drove a Series Landy with the indicators on the right-hand side, alongside it various other makes of car which all had it on the left. Jumping from one vehicles to the next I never had a problem with it.

I would suggest that given the lack of indicator use particularly at roundabouts, any change that will lead to more confusion is not welcome.

Anyone got a link to this EU legislation that is referred to?

Most drivers don't bother with indicators so their position is irrelevant

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - movilogo

the indicators on the right-hand side

For RHD cars it is more logical to keep indicator stalk on the right hand side of steering column because you can shift gears with left hand and use indicators using right hand.

2 cars I owned (Hyundai Accent and Kia Ceed 1st gen) had indicators on the right. Though later Kias shifted it on the left. During ownership of these cars, I did frequently used wrong stalk when driving other cars.

Left is popular because manufacturers can use LHD configuration for RHD cars as well - saving them cost.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Bilboman

I can't help wondering why no mass produced "conversion kits" seem to have been made in the past 40 years, to enable drivers who so wish to at least have the indicator and dip/flash on the right hand side. I imagine adaptations are made for drivers with restricted left arm mobility.
Surely all it would take is a simple toggle switch fixed to an existing column stalk, or else a small "pod" like the ones often fitted to control radio/CD etc.
I can't find the image now, but I remember seeing a picture of one car interior where there was a swivelling half-ring sort of attachment on the steering wheel which had to be rotated left or right to operate the indicators. It could obviously be operated by either hand. Never caught on, of course.

Left is popular because manufacturers can use LHD configuration for RHD cars as well - saving them cost.

But this is not true. Manufacturers only fit LHD configuration to RHD cars SOLD IN THE EU. RHD markets outside the EU (and RHD cars made in the UK for export outside the EU) get proper RHD configuration!

Maybe as a mark of our independence we should demand all UK market cars meet UK specifications - i.e. stalk on the right.

I would not want the indicators on the right - am happy with them where they are thanks. No need to change things just because we are not in the EU...stop being wet.

Requiring cars sold in the UK to conform to UK requirements is not being wet. Tugging a forelock to the EU and having them impose their regulations upon us IS being wet.

<< Tugging a forelock to the EU and having them impose their regulations upon us IS being wet. >>

Forcing a fairly unimportant change to cars' controls just to make a political point may not be 'wet', just foolish, when nearly all drivers are accustomed to the way things are.

Requiring cars sold in the UK to conform to UK requirements is not being wet. Tugging a forelock to the EU and having them impose their regulations upon us IS being wet.

I do not read this forum to read mindless political d*****.

Please desist

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - alan1302

Changing something like that just to stick 2 fingers up to the Eu is beyond stupid and childish...time to grow up.

Honda Jazz - Uncomfortable/Unsafe Driving Positions - Xileno

Time to put EU / Brexit etc. to one side and get the thread back to the original theme.

I don't think there will ever be agreement regarding which is the 'correct' side to have the indicator, we've had these discussions a good few times over the years. Here's one from 2006, largely the same issues and pleased to see my views have not changed...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44927

The view that having it on the right leaves the left hand free to do the gears is less relevant now with more automatics and electric cars.

For a while, Vauxhall Astra and Insignia were sold in Australia as Holdens - on GM forums, the Aussies complained about the indicators being on the wrong side but very few Brits complained about Japanese or Korean-built cars being the "right" way round.

Edited by RT on 20/07/2021 at 08:40