What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car recommendation pls - JonnyA
Hi there

We are a family of 5 looking for a car recommendation.. we’re upgrading from a 2009 Yaris.

We have two kids in child seats (ages 4 and 1) and a 12 year old who sits between them. In the Yaris, that’s a tight fit!

We also want enough space to take camping gear - as at the moment we have to do every trip in two journeys..!

So the requirements are:

1. Enough width across the back to fit a teenager sitting between two car seats.
2. Decent luggage space.

We originally thought about an Octavia estate, but the space between two child seats seems even narrower than the Yaris (this is somewhat determined by the isofix points). The new Focus estate looks better, but we’d prefer to buy an older model as it’s more in our price range.. it would be interesting to know if the old Focus would fit the bill. In both cases we were looking at an estate as it would obviously help with the luggage question.

In terms of budget, hoping to spend around £10k, planning on something a few years old and say 30k-40k miles.

Oh - and we do about 3500 miles a year.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Car recommendation pls - JonestHon

£10k can easily get you to a 2018-19 Vauxhall Combo-Life.

They have proper three seats at the back and a giant boot.

Mostly these will be diesel and you can also find this car badged under other marks.

If you like to pay less a seven years old Toyota Avensis Estate petrol in either manual or auto can from my experience seat two child seats and a 10 years old in comfort. Boot is 540 litre with some under floor storage.

They have proper three seats at the back and a giant boot.

Mostly these will be diesel and you can also find this car badged under other marks.

If you like to pay less a seven years old Toyota Avensis Estate petrol in either manual or auto can from my experience seat two child seats and a 10 years old in comfort. Boot is 540 litre with some under floor storage.

Thanks for this reply. The combo life looks a bit too big for us - we’d probably go for an estate car over an mpv. Partly as we are used to a pretty small car, and as we live in a city and have on street parking so space is at a premium. I was considering the Auris estate (as mentioned in your other post) but wasn’t sure whether the distance between isofix points afforded any greater space for the one in the middle (and it seems pretty much impossible to find this measurement for different car models?). I’ll look at the Avensis estate too (sounds as it you were in a similar situation!) - thank you.
Car recommendation pls - John F

Thanks for this reply. The combo life looks a bit too big for us - we’d probably go for an estate car over an mpv. Partly as we are used to a pretty small car, and as we live in a city and have on street parking so space is at a premium. I was considering the Auris estate ......

From past family experience I think you will find that on holiday trips with 3 kids, no car will be too big! According to google, the Toyota Avensis estate is 4750mm long but the longest Vauxhall combi is less than an ant's length longer at 4753mm, which might make it slightly more difficult to park.....

Car recommendation pls - Heidfirst

1 of the nice things about an Avensis compared to e.g. a Mondeo or Insignia is that there is no transmission tunnel meaning a flat floor & therefore better leg room for the person in the middle of the rear seat. Iirc a Focus is the same (albeit a slightly smaller car).

Car recommendation pls - JonestHon

Other options: a grey import Toyota Alphard and the estate versions of the Honda Civic and Toyota Auris.

Edited by JonestHon on 12/07/2021 at 21:35

Car recommendation pls - SLO76
Where roughly will you be searching? Give me an idea of location and I’ll look for options near you. Also how do you intend on financing it, cash savings, dealer finance or bank loan?
Car recommendation pls - badbusdriver

Err, no, it won't.

There are no Combo Life's on Autotrader under £10k. Up the budget to £11k and there are two, both diesel. Up the budget again to £13k and there are still only 5, one of which is a 'cat s' write off.

Car recommendation pls - paul 1963

I agree...a combo life would be ideal for your needs but as BBD has said you will need a bigger budget.

Where roughly will you be searching? Give me an idea of location and I’ll look for options near you. Also how do you intend on financing it, cash savings, dealer finance or bank loan?

We are in Sussex, paying cash. Happy to buy from further afield, not really sure whether there are downsides to that as haven’t bought many cars before.
“ We are in Sussex, paying cash. Happy to buy from further afield, not really sure whether there are downsides to that as haven’t bought many cars before.”

The downsides of buying from a distance are that any dispute you have with the seller means travelling back to them unless it’s a larger group with nearby branches. Also I’d never buy or place a non-refundable deposit on a car unseen. Sales staff will always talk a car up, I’ve been shown some appallingly tatty metal that was described as “immaculate” over the phone. You need to view it.

I’ll take a wee look for a few options.
Car recommendation pls - Ian_SW

Has the 4 year old moved onto a Group 3 seat (high back booster) yet? If not, they must be getting very close.

Those seats are noticeably narrower than the ones for smaller children which have the integral 5 point harness. They also only use the ISOFIX mounting (if they even have them) to hold the seat in place when it's not being used.

If the child is big enough for that type of seat, it should open up your options quite a bit more as the 4 year old can then go in the middle seat.

We have group 3 seat and group 1 seat in the back of our Octavia and its possible, if slightly cramped for a smaller adult to ride in the back seat as well. A youngish teenager would fit no problem.

If having that car seat option is likely to be some time away, I'd suggest looking for something with fairly vertical sides, and where the wheel arches are properly behind the back seat (they aren't in the Octavia) or the car is high enough for the seats to be above them. The Golf SV might be an option, or possibly a C-Max. I don't really like them personally, but most of the 'crossover' type vehicles (Ford Kuga, Vauxhall Grandland etc.) to tend to be a bit wider than an estate car in the back.

Yep he’s in a high back booster now - albeit it’s quite wide around the shoulder/head rest bit so eats into the space between. It uses isofix - but are you saying that it would be worth putting it in the centre seat (without isofix) allowing the 12yo to sit on the side seat?

In terms of the Octavia - this was on our list, but the father in law measured up the distance between the two isofix points (ie the usable central space) and it seemed narrower than the Yaris, at 36cm. Not sure if that has changed with newer models or if there are any variations between versions but it seemed a non starter.. does this match your octavia out of interest?

Car recommendation pls - badbusdriver

Thanks for this reply. The combo life looks a bit too big for us - we’d probably go for an estate car over an mpv. Partly as we are used to a pretty small car, and as we live in a city and have on street parking so space is at a premium. I was considering the Auris estate (as mentioned in your other post) but wasn’t sure whether the distance between isofix points afforded any greater space for the one in the middle (and it seems pretty much impossible to find this measurement for different car models?). I’ll look at the Avensis estate too (sounds as it you were in a similar situation!) - thank you.

The Vauxhall Combo Life, in standard wheelbase form, is 26.5cm shorter than a current shape Focus estate (15.7cm shorter than the previous Focus estate). Even the LWB Combo Life is only 8.5cm longer than the current Focus estate.

Though as said, it is not within your budget anyway.

I did think about the Golf SV too, I like them and think they are very under rated. Big boot at 500 litres, but actual capacity can sometimes be deceiving. Worth a look though I think. There is the Touran too, but not many manual petrol versions without an excess of miles.

Going back to the Combo Life, while it and it's PSA/Stellantis cousins (Citroen Berlingo and Peugeot Rifter) are out of budget, there is another couple of options which uses much the same running gear, the Citroen C4 Picasso (5 seats) and Grand C4 Picasso (7 seats). Some concern over the 1.2 Puretech petrol engine and the interior quality is maybe not the best. But on the plus side, the interior is very much designed with 'family' in mind, very airy interior, deep windows and lots of cubby holes.

One car sticks out to me, the Vauxhall Zafira 1.4T SRi. Loads of room for passengers and luggage, plenty available for £10-£12k. They’re robust and comfortable.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104131321472

Another good option, assuming it’s big enough in the back would be a Ford C-Max. It’s more practical than a Focus for a family and they’re reliable (if you stick with a manual gearbox and the Yamaha designed 1.6 petrol) and good to drive. Don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboom or the awful Powershift auto.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107054662610

A favourite of mine is the Mazda 6. No estates flag up nearby but the saloon is a big car and might do the job. Great to drive and very reliable as long as you stick with petrol.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107064678192

Bit more money and it’s an auto but these never really go wrong. Practical, good on fuel and utterly dependable.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106254244352

Edited by SLO76 on 13/07/2021 at 22:51

Car recommendation pls - Heidfirst
Bit more money and it’s an auto but these never really go wrong. Practical, good on fuel and utterly dependable. I just found a great car on Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106254244352

& now, if you get it serviced annually at a Toyota dealer, warrantied for up to 11 years*/100,000 miles. Drive battery warranty is up to 15 years.

*you can get it serviced at 9 years & 364 days & it will be warrantied for a year from that date.

Edited by Heidfirst on 14/07/2021 at 12:52

Definitely interested in the Auris, given how reliable the Yaris has been. My concern is whether someone can sit between the two child seats in the back. Again this seems to come down to how much space there is between the isofix points each side of the centre?
Thanks very much for looking these out - I’ll have a proper look through them
Car recommendation pls - Catfood

It depends on how often you go camping holiday a year, but if it's once or twice a year. It will probably be cheaper to hire a big car for 1 week @ £200. The rest of year, drive smaller car around the house....

Car recommendation pls - Alby Back
I'd say get the best large estate car you can find and look to keep it for ten years or more. At your annual mileage, you'd only add 35,000 miles to it even over that period, It's easy to regret getting a car that's too small, but you'll rarely regret getting one that's too big.

Kids just get bigger, and you have many years ahead of you to accommodate them and their kit. As time goes by, you'll maybe add bike racks and / or a roofbox, so I'd buy something that can act as a long term platform for family life.

We've always had at least one large estate on the drive for most of our adult lives, and at least once a week, they have proven very useful indeed.

Edited by Alby Back on 14/07/2021 at 08:29

I'd say get the best large estate car you can find and look to keep it for ten years or more. At your annual mileage, you'd only add 35,000 miles to it even over that period, It's easy to regret getting a car that's too small, but you'll rarely regret getting one that's too big. Kids just get bigger, and you have many years ahead of you to accommodate them and their kit. As time goes by, you'll maybe add bike racks and / or a roofbox, so I'd buy something that can act as a long term platform for family life. We've always had at least one large estate on the drive for most of our adult lives, and at least once a week, they have proven very useful indeed.

Good thinking - many thanks for this
“ I'd say get the best large estate car you can find and look to keep it for ten years or more.”

I’d agree but diesel won’t suit your usage and large petrol estates are relatively thin on the ground so you may need to spend a bit more to get a good one.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106093672845

Edited by SLO76 on 14/07/2021 at 20:31

It depends on how often you go camping holiday a year, but if it's once or twice a year. It will probably be cheaper to hire a big car for 1 week @ £200. The rest of year, drive smaller car around the house....

Good point- yep it’s only a handful of times a year, though car hire seems a but more than that. But the point is a good one.. even if not for camping, the more pressing bit is probably making sure the 12yo can get in - which is the problem at the moment ..
Car recommendation pls - Joe Horton

seems like combo life would be ideal for you but you have to spend more than your budget. its hard to look for a car of your needs but for sure there will be a car that is right for you like the combo life