What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
NCAP, safety, smart motorways and safest fuel? - Grenache

A conversation starter…

I was reading about the Euro NCAP tests the other day and unless I'm mistaken, they only cover head-on and side impact tests and only low-speed impact tests

With smart motorways, or any motorway on the hard shoulder, the risk is being hit from the rear while stationary. So 70mph impact is likely.

Why doesn't the NCAP test cover them? I've seen a car go up in flames instantly when such an accident happened at 40mph when the petrol tank was ruptured. Fortunately the driver got out safely. I don't think an electric car would be any better either, if the fragile lithium battery in a mobile phone can ignite when bent under an airline seat.

Maybe diesel is the safest fuel? My brother’s diesel fuel line split, spilling diesel over a hot exhaust. No problem, switch off engine, fix hose, drive away again.

Your thoughts?

NCAP, safety, smart motorways and safest fuel? - brum

I'm guessing that if a HGV / Van / Car hits you from behind at 70mph while you are in the car and stationery, your chances of survival are nil. Can't see what could be done to car designs to protect the occupants.

Smart motorways are death traps, pure and simple. It may be enlightening to those i****s who sanction these ideas to watch a few slow motion hi res videos of people dying in such scenarios, an NCAP video with test crash dummies would probably be good too.

NCAP, safety, smart motorways and safest fuel? - Engineer Andy

The fuel isn't the only factor, what the car is made of and components makes a difference too - a former colleague's Jag had magnesium parts and a small fire (not sure what started it) in a motorway tunnel quickly became a raging inferno that burnt the car to the shell.

It was a diesel-engined car.

Design and positioning of the fuel tank, lines and engine components (including cooling systems) and maintenance car also play a role in whether a crash ends in a runaway blaze, as obviously the types of accident, which the driver and others involved play just as much a role as the car itself.

I wonder how much fuel cars having their NCAP test actually carry, if any? If they also do not test rear-end/corner (of the fuel tank inlet) crashes, then perhaps they should be. WIth hybrids and EVs, perhaps that would need to be modified to account for the relative position of their battery packs, and - for all vehicles - factors like ambient temperature and direct heat via sunlight.

Remember all those Lambos and perhaps other sports cars spontaneously catching fire and burning to a cinder in hot weather a few years ago?

NCAP, safety, smart motorways and safest fuel? - badbusdriver

I'm guessing that if a HGV / Van / Car hits you from behind at 70mph while you are in the car and stationery, your chances of survival are nil. Can't see what could be done to car designs to protect the occupants.

Hardly!. If an HGV hits a small car, or a 7 seater with the rear row occupied, your chances wouldn't be great. But from there on, the severity of injury is going to change depending on the size and weight of the stationary vehicle compared to the size and weight of whatever hits it. For example, if the stationary vehicle was an S Class Mercedes with only front seat occupants, I very much doubt even an HGV would cause serious injury (unless the HGV ended up on the roof of the car) to them. And if our Suzuki Ignis were to hit the back of that S Class doing 70mph, it would probably just bounce off!.