Jaguar XF (X250 last of the old shape) - Rear Differential Fluid Leak 2015 X250 Jaguar XF - hatman

I’m looking to buy a last of the X250 XF 3.0 Diesel. I searched through the MoT history of one car and saw that it had an advisory for: "Fluid leak, but not excessive rear differential (8.4.1 (a) (i)) on its first MoT 3 years ago at only 20,000 miles. This advisory is not mentioned again on future MoTs. The car has a full Jaguar service history and has been serviced 3 times at the main dealer since this advisory.

I was just wondering if there is a known problem with the rear differential on the 2015 XF? I understand that there was a problem with the 2009 XF but am I right in assuming this would have been resolved by 2015?

I’d greatly appreciate any advice - I’d imagine that the Jaguar main dealer that supplied and serviced the car from new would have solved the problem (the car has now travelled another 20,000 miles since this MoT advisory 3 years ago) but as you can imagine, seeing this advisory on the car’s first MoT concerns me.

Jaguar XF (X250 last of the old shape) - Rear Differential Fluid Leak 2015 X250 Jaguar XF - Rerepo

Normally its the pinion shaft oil seal that leaks. Leaks generally don't fix themselves so the oil seal was probably replaced. The issue is whether they got the pinion bearing preload correct when doing the job. Its tricky to get right and you'll hear a slight whine (usually on the overrun) if its wrong.

I would get the car professionally inspected. My son works for JLR at Gaydon. He tells me any employee who is driving a Jag is getting it on the company. The engineers that have to pay for their own motoring mostly drive Toyotas and Hondas. My son can have a car very cheaply on their employee lease scheme, but sticks with his Toyota.

Jaguar XF (X250 last of the old shape) - Rear Differential Fluid Leak 2015 X250 Jaguar XF - Brit_in_Germany

There has just been a court case reported on Bailii where Dana were suing a supplier for damages because their component resulted in 30,000 pinion seal replacements at JLR.

Jaguar XF (X250 last of the old shape) - Rear Differential Fluid Leak 2015 X250 Jaguar XF - _

It will be expensive to get it done at a jaguar dealers, and secondly, as in another reply it is an utter sod of a job to get exactly right.

Find another car!

Jaguar XF (X250 last of the old shape) - Rear Differential Fluid Leak 2015 X250 Jaguar XF - Paulsxf

I think its a common issue. My late 2014 XF had the same issue and the whole diff unit was replaced under warranty. This was a few years ago now when it was in warranty.

Spun bearings seems to be more of a worry on those engines!