What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 5 Series 540i XDrive - Large car but cramped drivers seat - BPL

I sat one of these thinking there would be room for my 6'4" 192cm frame but it felt so cramped. Reading the spec I thought this would be the perfect car for me. What alternatives would you all recommend for a larger engined petrol "drivers" car (>5 cylinders ideally).

BMW 5 Series 540i XDrive - Large car but cramped drivers seat - badbusdriver

I sat one of these thinking there would be room for my 6'4" 192cm frame but it felt so cramped. Reading the spec I thought this would be the perfect car for me. What alternatives would you all recommend for a larger engined petrol "drivers" car (>5 cylinders ideally).

What kind of car are you used to?. I ask because while the BMW, like most German cars, has plenty of length, sitting quite low with a bulky transmission tunnel beside you could make it feel cramped if you are used to something of a different style/design.

BTW, my pal, also 6'4", happily used a VW Lupo for many years, which was at the time, VW's smallest car. He fitted fine, but nobody could sit behind him as the back of the front seat, when slid right back, was only an inch or two away from the front of the rear seat!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/07/2021 at 10:43

BMW 5 Series 540i XDrive - Large car but cramped drivers seat - BPL
My 2005 Golf GT TDI had way more room. I did think of a Superb 280hp but obviously it's a 4 banger
BMW 5 Series 540i XDrive - Large car but cramped drivers seat - badbusdriver
My 2005 Golf GT TDI had way more room. I did think of a Superb 280hp but obviously it's a 4 banger

If you want an engine with more than 4 cylinders but isn't that old, you may struggle for choice. The Merc equivalent to the 5 series is the E Class which, like the Beemer, is also commonly available with 6 or more cylinders, so maybe try one of them?. Maybe a Lexus GS?, this would be a hybrid, but the ICE is a 3.5 6 pot.

TBH, the cylinder count would not bother me at all, so I'd certainly have the Superb on the radar. Be aware though, that the 2nd gen Superb was available with a 3.6 litre V6 making around 260bhp. If you can find one, the youngest will be 2013/2014.

BMW 5 Series 540i XDrive - Large car but cramped drivers seat - John F

What about an Audi A8 with one of their 'comfort seats'? It's a big Bavarian car suitable for big bulky Bavarians. That particular seat (standard on some models) is full of electric motors which adjust its angles and curves into a remarkable number of positions. Being tall (but not as tall as the OP) I find the best bit of it is the way the front of the seat will extend to provide more thigh support which is often so lacking in cars.