What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bye bye GB Stickers! - Smileyman

If reports in the press are correct we can waive bye-bye to the traditional GB sticker and hello to a new UK sticker instead. This is to enhance the position of Northern Ireland as part of the UK. Not sure how it will impact Jersey. Guernsey and Isle of Man which if my memory serves me well used to use GBJ, GBG and GBM respectively, presumably they will change too.

(For those unsure about a GB sticker, before EU membership and EU number plates all vehicles had to display a GB sticker when overseas. EU number plates changed that requirement, no need to use the sticker if the plate had an approved EU style indicator)

Bye bye GB Stickers! - brum

But will the EU accept the new sticker(s), that is the big question

Bye bye GB Stickers! - Metropolis.
I am so pleased to read this. Does this mean NI cars will also say UK? We are still perfidious albions, but it is a small but symbolic step in the right direction. I used to buy number plates without the EU flag on it, glad we are past needing to do that.

In before the thread gets locked lol.
Bye bye GB Stickers! - Sofa Spud

I doubt if Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man will change because while they are geographically included with the island of Great Britain, they are not part of the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is part of the UK but geographically it's not part of Great Britain, but part of the island of Ireland. So UK is more accurate for the sticker than GB ever was. As form myself, I'm keeping my EU number plates on my current car and then I look forward to having a green bit on my number plate when I get an electric car.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 04/07/2021 at 16:45

Bye bye GB Stickers! - FP

"I'm keeping my EU number plates as long as I can as I think leaving will turn out to be a terrible mistake."

Even if you're right, I don't think anyone expects the UK to rejoin the EU any time soon, nor without a period of negotiations at least as long and as fraught as when we left.

In practical terms, we're out for the foreseeable future.

Bye bye GB Stickers! - daveyjp

Just think how many trees wouldn't die if the Express only printed news.

Bye bye GB Stickers! - Andrew-T

I doubt if Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man will change

Not forgetting Gibraltar, with GBZ ?

Bye bye GB Stickers! - RT

It's not up to the UK to change International Treaties - the EU style plates are a concession within the EU with some nearby countries having adopted it - the UK therefore needs EU approval and in any case, GB stickers will still be needed for those venturing further afield.

Bye bye GB Stickers! - Rerepo

This is excellent news. We need to purge the country of anything related to the past nightmare of EU membership. Those plates with EU style flags on were an attempt to undermine our sovereignty.

Bye bye GB Stickers! - madf

This is excellent news. We need to purge the country of anything related to the past nightmare of EU membership. Those plates with EU style flags on were an attempt to undermine our sovereignty.

I do so love xenophobia..

Bye bye GB Stickers! - RichT54

I do so love xenophobia..

This thread isn't really about motoring at all. It's just yet another transparent attempt to stir up brexit animosities again.

Bye bye GB Stickers! - Xileno

I agree so I've locked it, despite it starting innocently enough however.