What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol prices - privateinvestor

Why are petrol prices os jog in London, in particular South West London. I have seen on average Doesal at 134 per litre and has high as 139p per lite. Yet Sainsburys in Cobham of all places 130pper later and on Purley Way 129p. I have witnessed localised monopolies and cartels operated by franchised operators. Often you see Shell and Esso pumps priced high.

Petrol prices - Terry W

Supermarkets frequently use fuel as a loss leader to get people into the store. They make a lot more profit on £50 of groceries than on £50 of fuel.

Shell, Esso, BP promote the idea that their brands are specially formulated and worth paying more for. They may sell sandwiches and coffee, but need to be profitable on fuel. So they charge more than the supermarkets.

Petrol prices - craig-pd130

Also, the supermarkets have lower costs for the sites of their forecourts.

Petrol prices - FoxyJukebox
Petrol will dip in price after the school holidays when stay cation panic dies down.
Asda will drop it by 2p then others will follow.
Petrol prices - Bromptonaut

Most of the supermarkets price locally. Sainsbury's at Fosse Park in Leicester is always 2-3p a ltre cheaper than Northampton.

I suspect that the difference is the presence of Asda who price nationally.

Petrol prices - madf

Brent oil has hit a 6 month high around $76 per barrel in last 2 days. There is a three week lag till petrol prices catch up.