What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speed limiters - martin.mc

Are new cars still going to be fitted with speed limiters from next year? How will car manufacturers do this on basic models that don't have built in Sat Nav? A serious question, will they also be fitted to taxis and white vans? What do others think of the whole idea?

Speed limiters - Xileno

I would think the speed is set by a sensor or sensors on the vehicle as opposed to using satnav. I'm not sure whether the objective is road safety or a reduction in pollution - possibly both?

Speed limiters - mcb100
Currently, speed limiters (where fitted) work from the speedo drive, some are also linked to traffic sign recognition cameras, again where fitted.
I’ve no idea how the chip shortage will affect the proposed 2022 mandating of limiters, but it was noticeable last night that because of loooonnng periods of 60mph limits on the M6 and M1 my average fuel consumption from Oldham to Milton Keynes was 4-5mpg better than usual.
Speed limiters - Mike H

I can't see this being easy to implement. The satnav on our Honda CR-V frequently displays incorrect speed limits, even with up to date mapping, and the camera-driven speed limit recognition function occasionally misreads the signs - we have an illuminated 80 limit sign on a road that we frequently use, and it's consistently shown as 50 on the dashboard display. It also incorrectly detects limits that don't apply to the road being driven on when, for example, there is a bend in the road and the limit applies to a smaller road going straight ahead.

Speed limiters - Andrew-T

... an illuminated 80 limit sign on a road that we frequently use ...

An 80 limit ? Where's that ? I didn't think anything over 70 was permitted anywhere in the UK. Maybe we're talking kilometres, so 50 is a valid translation of 80 :-)

Speed limiters - Mike H

An 80 limit ? Where's that ? I didn't think anything over 70 was permitted anywhere in the UK. Maybe we're talking kilometres, so 50 is a valid translation of 80 :-)

Correct - I live in Austria! The 80kph limit is going into a tunnel.

Speed limiters - Terry W

I think speed limiters are an EU initiative to which we agreed pre Brexit. The UK intends (apparently) aligning UK type approval rules with the EU - I would guess for obvious benefits in certification and import and export of motor vehicles.

I believe that initially there will be the ability to override the limiter by pressing a bit harder.

I also understand there will be a "switch off" button to allow it to be disabled (probably for a period) - a little like stop/start which on my car can easily be disabled but resets each time the car is switched off.

Applies to new cars from 2022 and existing models from 2024.

However if limiter is disabled:

• will insurance companies pay out on claims
  • will it increase your chances of prosecution for minor speed or traffic infringements
  • is the limiter absolute of with a built in tolerance - eg: +/- 10mph

It may be it really does not matter - there are few opportunities to materially speed due to traffic levels, speed camera technology and license risk. In a few years time there will be an ever larger number of driverless vehicles over which you have no control anyway.

Welcome to the future!

Speed limiters - Catfood

Just fit a speed chime like the 80's Japanese cars. My grandfather's Nissan Stanza from the 80's had one. It activates at 80kph.....

Speed limiters - Engineer Andy

Maybe that's for white van men only? :-)

Speed limiters - movilogo

Are new cars still going to be fitted with speed limiters from next year?

And what that limit going to be?

If 70 MPH then as per most car's speedo it is nearly 80 MPH.

It won't stop driving at 70 where limit is 50.

If it is over 80 MPH it hardly matters as 95% of the time 95% of the drivers drive below 80 MPH anyway.

Speed limiters - John F

My Audi is limited to 155mph. So-o-o-o frustrating.

Speed limiters - badbusdriver

My Audi is limited to 155mph. So-o-o-o frustrating.

My ex British Gas Caddy is limited to 70mph, though with 70bhp on the roads I use, it makes no appreciable difference!.

New Volvo's are limited to 113mph these days.

Also, many EV's are limited, presumably to protect the range. For example, the Renault Zoe is limited to either 84 or 87mph depending on whether it is the 109 or 136bhp version, though I'm not sure there is much point in setting a 3mph higher limit for the higher powered car?.

Speed limiters - sammy1

""""If it is over 80 MPH it hardly matters as 95% of the time 95% of the drivers drive below 80 MPH """

Have you been on a motorway recently, traffic permitting, 80mph is not unusual.

How will the police manage if on a low limiter if they need to catch older cars?

Speed limiters - dan86

Emergency vehicles will no doubt be exempt same as fire and ambulance vehicle don't have a 90kph speed limiter like other goods vehicles in the same weight categories

Speed limiters - Rerepo

Given that this is some sort of crackpot EU initiative, and we are not part of the EU, I sincerely hope this regulation will not be imposed on us or at the very least there will be an OFF switch. British people do not tolerate the Big Brother approach, unlike the continentals.

Speed limiters - Metropolis.
Quite right Rerepo. I think the saying goes: In Europe, they think they are born and the government gives them freedom. In the USA, they think they are born free and the government takes it away. I like to think the UK is somewhere in between. Massive generalisations I am aware, but sincerely hope they do not impose these speed limiters. Ironically it is the Germans that stand to lose the most on their motorways. John F’s comment made me LOL
Speed limiters - Andrew-T

British people do not tolerate the Big Brother approach, unlike the continentals.

Even when it may make best sense to do so .... ?

Speed limiters - edlithgow

""""If it is over 80 MPH it hardly matters as 95% of the time 95% of the drivers drive below 80 MPH """

Have you been on a motorway recently, traffic permitting, 80mph is not unusual.

How will the police manage if on a low limiter if they need to catch older cars?

I'd guess they might radiio ahead, though that is limited by the speed of light, a tough one to hack

Speed limiters - Terry W

Only a couple of decades ago average speed cameras, variable speed limits, Euro 3+ emissions legislation, congestion charging etc etc were perceived by some as gross attacks on personal freedoms and the end of motoring as we knew it.

It is now part of the day to day fabric of what, how and where we drive. 90mph on the motorway 10 yards behind the car in front may help get the adrenaline going, but is truly unnecessary. Spending £30k+++ on a car to do 155mph either says "more money than sense" or "small gentlemens bits, large car" or "I think I am more important than you".

Get used to it.

Speed limiters - sammy1

Welcome to South Wales M4 around Newport 50mph average speed cameras for some 8miles. New duelling Heads of the Valleys A465 new dual carriage way proposed 50mph when opening soon. We don't need limiters, roads already have them.

The M4 50 limit is supposed to be about limiting pollution. Instead you have cars and HGVs bunching nose to tail and on the down hill sections always on the brakes giving off invisible brake particles. The 50 mph is 24hrs even when the motorway is deserted at night. .Soon be welcoming back the man with the red flag!

Speed limiters - alan1302

The M4 50 limit is supposed to be about limiting pollution. Instead you have cars and HGVs bunching nose to tail and on the down hill sections always on the brakes giving off invisible brake particles.

Gives a lot less pollution than vehicles going full speed though.

Speed limiters - martin.mc

The motor trade will be shooting itself in the foot if they go ahead with this. A Hyundai Getz will be faster than a top of the range BMW or Merc.

Speed limiters - Xileno

I wouldn't think the motor trade likes it but it's legislation.