What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW - A1 or M1 - Caff

Hello, need to get from Brighton to Doncaster tomorrow (Saturday, leaving around 930am) the best route. I know it's so dependent on weather, traffic volume but grateful for thoughts. Thanks, Caff

VW - A1 or M1 - brum

A1 is by far the least stressful route, less traffic, fewer speed cameras though watch out for the 2 or 3 sections of 50 and 60mph restrictions around Sandy which aren't all that clearly marked and asscoiated Truvelo speed cameras.

M1 is manic at times, if someone has a bump, traffic comes to a halt. Constant smart motorway madness with speed limits changing like christmas lights 60, 50, 40.....long area of average speed restricted roadworks around Luton and beyond.

Hardly any difference in distance and time. Fewer service areas though on the A1.

VW - A1 or M1 - alan1302

Hardly any difference in distance and time. Fewer service areas though on the A1.

Can stop at Ok Diner on the A1 - nice American style diner with excellent burgers and shakes.

VW - A1 or M1 - daveyjp

Probably little difference. Check google maps or waze as you approach M25 to decide which is quicker.

From my experience of trips to Gatwick from Leeds I generally favour the western section of the M25 as there are options to leave early if it isn't going well. M4, M40 etc and I have used both over the years and often use M40 then A34 or M69 to get back to M1 as M40 is generally very quiet compared to southern end of M1.

VW - A1 or M1 - mcb100
If you have a smartphone, install Google Maps or Waze, input your destination and follow its directions. Their ability to know what traffic is up to, and to get you around it, are superb.
VW - A1 or M1 - Ian_SW

On a weekend when there aren't too many lorries using it, the A1 is usually the best option.

If you're coming round the M25 on the Dartford Crossing side, it's better to cut the corner by taking the M11 and then A14 and joining the A1 near Huntingdon. That avoids the really rubbish section of A1 near Biggleswade where it has loads of roundabouts and goes right past some people's front doors.

VW - A1 or M1 - Manatee

What mcb100 said. Neither is a very scenic route, either could be subject to delays and google maps will help you avoid that if possible.

At least check Google's suggested route before you set off. I think I'd go Dartford Crossing and M11, A14 to A1if it's a toss up, just because I've spent too much of my life on the M1.

VW - A1 or M1 - nellyjak

As suggested...use Waze...and personally I'd favour the A1.

VW - A1 or M1 - Smileyman

Bit late to add but if you do see this in time, avoid Dartford Crossing if you can. Getting through without delays is a lottery, northbound with tunnels (not bridge) always worse. Also remember to go online to pay the toll, £2.50 for a car.

Edited by Smileyman on 26/06/2021 at 08:24