What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - John F

Living in a hardish water area I have always preferred non-smearing rainwater from our butt for rinsing cars and filling the screenwash bottle. But being mean with additives can result in microscopic plant life multiplying to form gunge which blocks the pump uptake filter resulting in a weak flow (a common MoT failure in old cars - beware, they'll sell you an overpriced new pump if they can) and ultimately, as has just happened to my rarely driven Audi A8, no flow at all. No amount of flushing and poking would clear it, not even an attempt at reverse flushing with a large syringe via the jets' pipework. I even tried nearly boiling water, then overnight Jeyes fluid which reputedly dissolves it. It didn't. So, in stark contrast to SLO's easy to work on 'take me back' cars (my TR7 access is merely by opening the bonnet), the wheel has to be removed and the arch liner folded back to reveal the reservoir and its pumps. So what should have been a simple task took most of an (enjoyable) afternoon. On prising out the bottom pump and then its filter, it was no surprise to see it resembled a small lollipop of congealed gloop with no filter mesh visible at all! The head lamp washer pump, placed higher in the tank, was relatively OK with only about 30% of its mesh occluded. It was interesting to note the date stamp on the reservoir as Sep 04, in a car registered Dec 05. I doubt if it had been seen since its installation. Anyway, all OK now, but I'll perhaps use standard British chlorinated tap water in future. And if your washers are starting to show symptoms of prostate trouble, take preventive action now!

Edited by John F on 23/06/2021 at 12:02

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Terry W

Not a criticism of John F - more an observation.

After 16 years, having failed for many of them to have used adequate quantities of additive, the system is blocked.

This has little to do with complexity of newer more sophisticated cars. The washers may still be working fine with no need for a fix save for deficiencies in proper maintenance and correct fluids

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - brum

Another amusing post from John F, can't wait for next weeks installment. 10 uses for 10 year old used engine oil maybe?

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Engineer Andy

Wasn't there a thread previously on unblocking washer systems - using things link (cheap) vodka or the fluid/tablets used to clean baby bottles, dentures, etc, perhaps that has some kind of 'oxygen bubbling' effect?

Might be worth a look.

You could (once the system is clean) try boiling and filtering (if possible) the rainwater to get rid of /kill off any biofilms. I'd also recommend trying the best you can to take the water from the middle of the water but, rather than scooping off the surface, as that's where (and right at the bottom edges where there's little circulation of water) biofilms tend to form.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Xileno

This fairly recent one popped up in a quick search but doesn't mention using chemicals.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/136814/blocked-was...s

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - bathtub tom

I use the condensate from a de-humidifier as I'm in a very hard water area. Same stuff goes in the steam mop and iron.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - catsdad

With these money saving tips I am beginning to regret my profligate use of £3.75 of VAG windscreen wash concentrate each year.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Steveieb

Not sure if the problem is down to supermarket washer ready mixed fluid.

Certainly this is the problem that was highlighted on our E350 and why I always use Prestone ready mixed now.

MB s own costs £9.50 !

Prestone is £6

Aldi is £1.99

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - mcb100
Tesco ready mixed for me, I never use anything else and have never had any problems. I’m not sure if being in a very soft water area is in any way connected.
for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Xileno

I am convinced that mixing of brands causes a problem with sludge. I used to be careless and just top up with whatever was lying around in the garage. Since the last blockage and a thorough flushing out and only using the same brand (Asda) I've never had a problem. I use 100% strength all year round.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Andrew-T

I'll perhaps use standard British chlorinated tap water in future.

Or living in a hard-water area, you could soften your chlorinated water and use that ? I thought you might do that for drinking, as my daughter does, living near Aylesbury ?

I'll perhaps use standard British chlorinated tap water in future.

Or living in a hard-water area, you could soften your chlorinated water and use that ? I thought you might do that for drinking, as my daughter does, living near Aylesbury ?

What would be handy is to have some kind of 'salt tablet' that you just pop into a set amount of water that disolves, avoiding the need for expensive water softener equipment.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - elekie&a/c doctor
Surely an Audi needs “Schweres wasser” ?
for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Steveieb
Is that why BMW and MB refuse warranty claims on washer pumps unless you can show you have used their propriety fluid ?
for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - brum

What would be handy is to have some kind of 'salt tablet' that you just pop into a set amount of water that disolves, avoiding the need for expensive water softener equipment.

How about Washing soda, about 60p for a big bag for many supermarkets.

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zphcwmn/revision/5

Edited by brum on 23/06/2021 at 20:11

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Andrew-T

<< How about Washing soda, about 60p for a big bag for many supermarkets. >>

It's certainly cheap enough, but fairly strong alkali doesn't belong anywhere in screenwash systems. Clean water, softened if necessary, with IPA to prevent freezing, is all that should be needed. Complete flushout every couple of years to get rid of any bacterial gunge.

Is that why BMW and MB refuse warranty claims on washer pumps unless you can show you have used their propriety fluid ?

Why is it that German brands always want their stuff that no-one else uses and charging a small fortune for it? It's not as though every other makes cars have systemic problems using ordinary tap water and generic screenwash if you look after it correctly.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - Warning

Is it worth using De-ionised water? They seem to recommend it steam irons etc...

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - bathtub tom

Is it worth using De-ionised water? They seem to recommend it steam irons etc...

See my post at 13:30.

See my post at 13:30.

Essentially that's the indoor equivalent of rainwater.

Note that deionissed water won't remove biofilms, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_water#Deionization

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - paul 1963

Another hilarious post from John! wonder what the "F" stands for...frugal or foolish?

can't believe anyone would be so tight as to scrimp on the cost of a bottle of screen wash...I use autoglym btw...not cheap but it's excellent.

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - alan1302

...I use autoglym btw...not cheap but it's excellent.

That's about the only Autoglym product I don't really get on with...I find it cleans ok but not great and flys/bugs just stick fast...what concentration do you make it up with?

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - paul 1963

That's about the only Autoglym product I don't really get on with...I find it cleans ok but not great and flys/bugs just stick fast...what concentration do you make it up with?

I make it quite strong, around 3 fills from a bottle.....

for concealed windscreen washer pumps - The peril of rainwater - alan1302

I make it quite strong, around 3 fills from a bottle.....

May have to try it again...last screenwash I bought cheap was just like spraying water up the screen with no cleaning power at all!