What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - _

Been lo 4 times to test and look at sofas in the flesh.

looking at new sofas and went to one particular emporium.

The similarities with buying a car wer so funny,

Fabric care, that's extra, sliders, extra, and the sheer amount of d***** we were "obliged " to listen to as well/

Anyway, job done, (eventually) but the experience just as bad as buying a car.

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - sammy1

The front door is narrower than a garage I hope it goes through. I have heard tales of people having to take window frames out and go in that way!

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - daveyjp

Just like car dealers, find a family run store, rather than a furniture shed and you'll get a much better experience.

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - bathtub tom

Last piece of furniture I bought, I examined it very carefully for method of construction and noticed a manufacturer label. Googled them and found the same item for considerably less. Contacted the first retailer and tried to negotiate a better price, but they refused. Guess where I bought it from, should I have felt guilty?

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - Andrew-T

If it is genuinely similar to buying a car, you may need to sit on the seats for at least an hour to make sure they don't become progressively uncomfortable :-)

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - _

It took 80 minutes while sitting on them. 4th visit. Shorter visits before...

Edited by _ORB_ on 20/06/2021 at 06:05

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - primus 1

We got a sofa and ended up with a Ferrari….apparently the company in Italy is part of the same family, distantly, ours was discounted thanks to a family member in the trade, it must be one of the slowest Ferraris in the country..lol

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - edlithgow

Most cars you get a 3-piece suite thrown in, so once you;ve bought a car, especially a fancy car, you should never need to buy a sofa.

external-preview.redd.it/ed5S_5q4gSC5WXeVgPDOrsHb3...3

Edited by edlithgow on 20/06/2021 at 10:41

Comparing buying a car and new sofas... - Testing the seats for comfort - Engineer Andy

Been lo 4 times to test and look at sofas in the flesh.

looking at new sofas and went to one particular emporium.

The similarities with buying a car wer so funny,

Fabric care, that's extra, sliders, extra, and the sheer amount of d***** we were "obliged " to listen to as well/

Same here - they were all too eaager to sell me 'stain treaments' and insurance, rather like with cars!

If I remember your locale (which is not that far away from mine), I do recall a certain (at the time) well-known (large) regional furniture store in Bury St Edmunds (which I have visited a couple of times) that seemed to be well-regarded, if rather on the expensive side.

They didn't seem as pushy on the 'optional extras' as a certain well-known national chain that always seems to have a sale on - though I still bought my 2-peice suite from them as they had what I wanted at nearly half the price of the other store!

Rather like my (then) local Honda dealer (great sales experience, but very expensive and wouldn't drop the price of any car I was looking at by more than a few £000) compared to the others.

If only someone did an equivalent for car supermarkets for (decent quality new) furntiure!