What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - daveyK_UK
Hi,
My partner wishes to change the i10 for a new A1.
I have explained the car is no different under the skin and not too different in the cab compared with the Fabia / Ibiza / polo.

Is the A1 worth the extra layout compared to the others?

We are not into badges nor into prestige.

The model we are looking at is the 1.0 TFSI 25 manual

Best price I can find is £17,600

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - mcb100
It’s worth it if you think it is, and many people would agree it is.

It’s a proper emotional/rational, heart/head argument for which there isn’t a correct answer.

Have a look at service costs before deciding, despite it being mechanically the same car, you’ll pay more for having four rings on the grille.

Get a back to back drive in the A1 vs one of the others - there’s a chance the Audi will have a different wheel/tyre set up, potentially affecting ride quality.

Edited by mcb100 on 04/06/2021 at 08:51

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - Lee Power

Its got that special badge that so many people aspire to own & see as a status symbol.

Does it have to be a VAG oroduct?

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - skidpan

We have a 3 year old (bought new) Fabia TSi with the 110 PS engine (think Audi call it "30") and SE-L trim. Its been 100% fault free so far and is a joy to drive, not even considering changing it. Its on 215 45 16 tyres but the ride quality is still fine despite my initial worries before a test drive.

We had 3 years pervious tried a Polo TSi with the 1.2 TSi engine in 90 PS spec and found it totally lacking in most respects.

Not looked at the A1.

Looked on the Carfile.net website (the broker we use) and the price for a 95 PS Fabia SE-L is £13800 after discounts and contributions with a £99 service pack offer. Their price for a A1 TSi 25 Teknik is about £17500 so pretty close to your price.

Its your choice at the end of the day, is a badge worth almost £4000?

But remember that a new Fabia is due later this year, deals on the existing car will without doubt get better.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - FiestaOwner
Hi, My partner wishes to change the i10 for a new A1. I have explained the car is no different under the skin and not too different in the cab compared with the Fabia / Ibiza / polo. Is the A1 worth the extra layout compared to the others? We are not into badges nor into prestige. The model we are looking at is the 1.0 TFSI 25 manual Best price I can find is £17,600

When I got the Ibiza FR I was also considering the A1. I wasn't looking at the Fabia or the Polo as I wanted an "off the shelf" car with LED headlights.

The only 2 bug bears of the Ibiza I have are: No rear courtesy light, only one (poor) reversing light.

I have the 1.0 TSI 115PS engine with 6 speed gearbox. Excellent engine and gearbox. Makes it a very enjoyable car to drive.

I have driven an Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI 95PS engine with 5 speed gearbox. Also an excellent engine and gearbox. Also a very enjoyable car to drive. To be perfectly honest the 95PS is more than quick enough for this car.

The A1 is certainly a very well finished car (definitely better finished than the Ibiza or Fabia).

Is the A1 worth the extra? In my case I couldn't justify the extra outlay for the A1. It's all down to personal preference though.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - daveyK_UK
Thank you for the replies.

I personally don’t know what’s wrong with another i10!
Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - SLO76
Thank you for the replies. I personally don’t know what’s wrong with another i10!

Or indeed the current one which I’ll wager is perfectly reliable. But if a new car it must be then the small VAG range are all good news, personally I prefer the Polo or the Ibiza FR with the excellent 1.0 TSi petrol motor, preferably the 115PS version.
Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - badbusdriver

I do not in any way hide my dislike of these 'badge engineered' premium versions. But the current A1, IMO, is a rather dowdy looking thing. It may well be better (in terms of ride, handling and use of space) than its predecessor, but the older car looked more premium and distinctive (inside and out). So there is absolutely no way I'd have an A1 over a cheaper and nicer looking alternative using the same running gear.

And certainly going by what I read in the motoring press, the interior quality of the current A1 (again, unlike the earlier version) is nothing to write home about (though this does seem to also be affecting current VW's too).

At the end of the day, the heart wants what the heart wants!. So it is really up to you and your partner. But you can take some comfort in the fact that none of the four are 'bad' cars.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - catsdad

If you can afford the initial higher price of an A1 you would benefit from Audi’s very low depreciation. That £4K premium over the Skoda would grow every year for its first few years.

Badge snobbery comes at a price but there are financial benefits.

As for the cars themselves I have only driven a Polo as a courtesy car and it was very disappointing. However it was a base model so it’s probably not representative of the whole range.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - FiestaOwner
As for the cars themselves I have only driven a Polo as a courtesy car and it was very disappointing. However it was a base model so it’s probably not representative of the whole range.

The smallest VAG engines in this size of car are 1.0 non turbo (between 60PS and 80PS). Have driven the Ibiza with the 75PS non turbo engine. It's very slow off the mark and very disappointing.

It's definitely worth spending the extra and getting one of the turbo engines (TSI or TFSI).

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - Lee Power

Isn't the F in the TSFI badge just added to the Audi range to make it seem more premium then the TSI used on the rest of the VAG products?

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - brum

If you can afford the initial higher price of an A1 you would benefit from Audi’s very low depreciation. That £4K premium over the Skoda would grow every year for its first few years.

Badge snobbery comes at a price but there are financial benefits.

They have an awful lot in common mechanically, but there are some important differences. Firstly the Audi will have more development i.e. better soundproofing, a slightly more sophisticated suspension that is more comfortable and quieter (assuming same tyres) and I think it will have some better quality components. I'm thinking here in particular about the disc brakes. Skoda original disc brakes, particularly rear unvented types are of a disgraceful quality, often rust away to the point of MOT failure within 3 years if you are a low mileage driver. I suspect Skoda, VW, SEAT and Audi source such items locally to where the cars are built or have different sourcing policies.

Pros

Lower depreciation, more desirable

A slightly more developed and equipped car that is quieter and more comfortable

Some better quality components?

Will still be more desirable after several years

Cons

More likely to be stolen, more desirable, higher insurance

Higher initial price

More expensive to service at a dealer

I have never driven an Audi A1, had/have several Skodas, and agree the Polo seems to be the worst of the bunch from my brief experience with them. The latest Ibiza looks nice but they seem to age stylewise quicker than the others.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - catsdad

Re disc quality. My brother has a 2015 Audi A3 and has just had to change all the discs due to rusting. He is however a very low mileage driver and has the skills to DIY so probably did them a bit ahead of time.

Incidentally his A3 generates virtually identical value figures in the HJ pricing tool to my identically engined 2018 Golf estate. He has lost very little since buying it in around 2016.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - Catfood

A1, Ibiza and Polo are assembled in the same factory in Catalonia, aren't they ?

If you check a seatbelt buckle, for example, it should have Audi,VW, Seat and Skoda logo stamped.....

I guess the engine is made in Skoda factory in Czech Republic.....

I would pick A1 if I have a million £ in my bank account but otherwise.."No Thanks"....

They have an awful lot in common mechanically, but there are some important differences. Firstly the Audi will have more development i.e. better soundproofing, a slightly more sophisticated suspension that is more comfortable and quieter (assuming same tyres) and I think it will have some better quality components. I'm thinking here in particular about the disc brakes. Skoda original disc brakes, particularly rear unvented types are of a disgraceful quality, often rust away to the point of MOT failure within 3 years if you are a low mileage driver. I suspect Skoda, VW, SEAT and Audi source such items locally to where the cars are built or have different sourcing policies.

Don't agree with that at all.

All the VAG group cars are built on one of several platforms and components are common to all variants. The A1 may have better soundproofing but components like brakes etc will all be sourced forom the same supplier regardless of brand. If you look at any part on any VAG car it will have all the groups names on them.

One example, the rear discs on our Fabia (the 110 PS version has them, lower power versions have drums) are perfect. It a low mileage car (about 16,000) and its just turned 3 years and passed its MOT with no mention of the rubbish quality rear discs.

Can I ask, do you actually drive a VAG group car and if so what is it? have you ever owned a Skoda?

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - badbusdriver

Not sure about soundproofing, but going by what I read, with bigger wheels, the A1 has a very harsh ride with a lot of road noise (unless on properly smooth roads).

So if you do go for an A1 daveyK, get something with small wheels!

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - brum

Can I ask, do you actually drive a VAG group car and if so what is it? have you ever owned a Skoda?

Yes you may ask. 3 fabias, an Octavia and my current car is a MY18 Superb 1.4tsi SEL all bought new for cash, and run into the ground before being replaced. I have driven VW, Seat and Skoda since 1973 almost exclusively.

If you go to Briskoda you will see many complaints posted about Superb 3 rear discs.

If you think that VAG use a single supplier for pads and discs, that's fine. If you think a VAG official pad or disc supplier source their products from a single factory, that's also fine. Who am I to argue Skidpan?

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - Alby Back
Thing is, your partner wants the Audi. ;-)

Unless four grand or so is a life changing amount to you ( doesn't sound like it is ) then for a bit of domestic harmony or even possible delight, it's maybe the line of least resistance.

My wife finally decided that her 13 year old Qashqai had done enough a couple of months ago. ( utterly reliable if entirely uninteresting thing though it was ) She set her cap at a Jeep Renegade, not my first or even third choice, but, hey, it wasn't for me.

So anyway, that's what she has now, and apparently I am the best husband and nicest man in the world at the moment for buying it for her. This is not a scenario I was going to pass up lightly, no matter how temporary that situation may be. ;-)
Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - SLO76
Thing is, your partner wants the Audi. ;-) Unless four grand or so is a life changing amount to you ( doesn't sound like it is ) then for a bit of domestic harmony or even possible delight, it's maybe the line of least resistance. My wife finally decided that her 13 year old Qashqai had done enough a couple of months ago. ( utterly reliable if entirely uninteresting thing though it was ) She set her cap at a Jeep Renegade, not my first or even third choice, but, hey, it wasn't for me. So anyway, that's what she has now, and apparently I am the best husband and nicest man in the world at the moment for buying it for her. This is not a scenario I was going to pass up lightly, no matter how temporary that situation may be. ;-)

An over complex, overweight, uneconomical, lumpy riding SUV Volvo sits on my drive today for the above reason instead of a much nicer driving Mazda 6 Estate or similar.

Audi A1 vs Fabia / Ibiza / Polo - Alby Back
Aye, well, the trouble with being genuinely interested in cars is that you start applying logic. Most people don't want to hear logic, they just want their preferences to be confirmed. And if that leads to domestic bliss, or even moves you a couple of notches closer to that, then any experienced broken man will tell you that is the least worst route to take...

;-)

If you think that VAG use a single supplier for pads and discs, that's fine. If you think a VAG official pad or disc supplier source their products from a single factory, that's also fine. Who am I to argue Skidpan?

This reminds me of a chap who wrote to Honest John about a new Audi he had just bought, think it was an A3 1.4 TSi. He was shocked when he found out that the engine in the car was actually made by Skoda, he wanted a superior product having bought an Audi and was not happy having some Skoda content. He asked about the possibility of taking Audi to court since he believed it would affect his long term enjoyment of the car.

Honest John told him that all the VAG companies share many components, each brand has its own body styling and interior styling with the oily bits coming from a joint manufacturing/supply chain.

But I suppose some will never believe what has been happening for years.

Are you aware that all the EV drive componets and batteries are made by Skoda for the whole VAG group at a new plant in the Czech Republic?

Same with Hyundai/Kia. Look under the beonnet of either brand and parts will have both companies Logo on them and with the likes of the Ceed and i30 being the same car under the skin it would be commercial suicide to have each brand manufacturing and buying their own components.

But VAG will not rely on a single manufacturer for parts like brakes, like tyres they will buy form several manufacturers. But it will not be each individual manufacturing plant that does the buying.