Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - Rerepo

A friend has asked me for assistance in buying a used car for his daughter. She is a new driver and trainee nurse. She is likely to drive about 10 miles motorway and 5 miles city twice every day - there and back. Budget is about £5k and have about 8 weeks to search for one.

Normally I would recommend a Aygo/Pug 108 or some other small Japanese car, however because of the daily motorway travel I'm thinking a Fiesta Mk7 with the 1.25L Sigma engine. From personal experience the Fiesta is one of the better small cars for motorway driving and has good passive safety features.

I'm thinking £5k should get a 2015 car with less than 50k. But is there anything to look out for on this model (stock faults)?. I recently looked at a couple of 2013 Ford Focus with another friend and was shocked to find quite bad rust - especially rear door bottoms where it had spread under the outer paint.

Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - elekie&a/c doctor
Nothing wrong with a fiesta of this age , as long as it’s the 1.25 with a manual gearbox . Very little trouble . Just make sure everything works , including the Aircon . I would strongly recommend the 5 door version , as the 3 door makes access to the rear very awkward.
Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - FiestaOwner

Used to own one of these. Cracking car. Very enjoyable car to drive. Excellent handling. Definitely a driver's car.

Beware though, the 1.25's are available with 2 power outputs 60 BHP and 81 BHP. Make sure you get the higher output (81 BHP). Mine was 81 BHP, I'm sure the 60 BHP will feel underpowered. Think Zetec and above get the higher output engine. Studio, Style and Edge could have either.

I would also recommend the 5 door for easy access to the rear. Very spacious car and good size boot. Honestly couldn't criticise anything about this car.

Good luck searching. Regret getting rid of my MK7.

Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - SLO76
Excellent little cars as long as you stick with the 1.25/1.4 petrols and avoid the Powershift auto. Rust is an issue as with all Fords so get underneath for a good look. Paint flakes off the front of the sills which then rots, check carefully for bodged repairs here in particular as it won’t last any length of time. Another weakness is the electric steering rack, you’ll feel a knock through it which is often dismissed as being just a suspension bush. Go lock to lock to feel for anomalies and noises. Check all electrics work especially the a/c if fitted.

I’d also advise widening the net to increase your chances of finding the best car. I’d include…

Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol
Suzuki Swift 1.2 petrol
Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol
Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - Rerepo

Yes will look for 1.25L 80ps MT model.

Thought about Mazda 2 and Yaris - Mazda 2 a little bit lacking on safety kit and Yaris a little expensive - although I do like them a lot.

Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - up north

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012177196625

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103290737125

Slightly above 5k as negotiable examples.

We have a 65 fiesta 1.25 and a Seat mii in the family.

Seat is cheaper insurance. £20 tax. 14 inch alloys, last rainsport 3 tyres cost £35 each. Cheap service and parts. Totally reliable. Fun to drive, my daughter's first car. Comfortable driver's seat. Keeps up with motorway traffic despite 59bhp. Feels big in the front, but tiny boot. Easy to park and drive.

Fiesta in silver looks nice, but really bland and dated interior, uncomfortable driver's seat. Feels slow despite the zetec 1.2 engine and the Seat Mii is more fun to drive, though the fiesta handles and grips well. Has a bigger boot. No issues, though sounds like engine pinking despite low mileage.

I suggest you drive both. The Seat has deeper windows, so great view for new driver. Also 51 mpg is a lot better than the fiesta!

Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - nellyjak

For me, it would have to be the Yaris..it may cost a tad more but IMO so worth it.

My wife has had 4 consecutive Yaris's and not a moments trouble with any of them.

Edited by nellyjak on 03/06/2021 at 07:51

Fiesta Mk7 1.25 - Buying used - badbusdriver

If the rational for looking at the Fiesta rather than an Aygo is simply the assumption of better performance due to more power, I'd suggest you think again.

Even the 81bhp 1.25 has a lower power to weight ratio than a 1.0 Aygo because it is quite a lot heavier, so it isn't going to feel or (be any) faster.

Thought about Mazda 2 and Yaris - Mazda 2 a little bit lacking on safety kit and Yaris a little expensive - although I do like them a lot.

I'm also intrigued to learn what safety kit you will get in a Fiesta that you don't in a Mazda 2?.

Fiesta in silver looks nice, but really bland and dated interior, uncomfortable driver's seat. Feels slow despite the zetec 1.2 engine and the Seat Mii is more fun to drive, though the fiesta handles and grips well. Has a bigger boot. No issues, though sounds like engine pinking despite low mileage.

As your Mii is the 59bhp version, I'd tend to assume your Fiesta has the 59bhp version of the 1.25 if it felt slower than the Mii. Not 100% sure, but looking at examples for sale, it would appear that the lower spec 'Studio' and 'Style' Fiesta's are the only ones to recieve the lower powered engine.

Personally, I'd be happy with the Aygo for the intended use, it certainly won't struggle on the motorway. £5k is enough to get into a 2018 car.

I'd also be having a close look at the Suzuki Swift. This gives 93bhp from the 1.2, and is a good 150kg lighter than the Fiesta.