What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Changes to insurance - Xileno

People renewing their home or motor insurance will pay no more than they would as a new customer from January.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57270415

The FCA says the move will save loyal customers an estimated £4.2bn over 10 years.

But it admitted it could spell the end of the cheapest deals for new customers.

I will probably lose out as I always check each time a policy comes up for renewal but overall I think this is a good move long overdue.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Xileno on 28/05/2021 at 09:57

Changes to insurance - nellyjak

Agree...seems an overdue move...but being the cynic I am, I'm sure there will be no way the insurance companies will lose out.

Changes to insurance - Terry W

It may even be a return to the past where loyal customers are rewarded with fair prices, rather than exploited as i****s too indolent to shop around each year.

Changes to insurance - Falkirk Bairn

I was with Esure 15 years - house & car(s)

5 years ago banged everything up 50-60%

I walked

Last year I did an online quotes - Esure must have lost too many - prices back near 2015 levels!

Changes to insurance - Gibbo_Wirral

I left them this year after the renewal went up by £80. When I rang to cancel they reduced it by £60.

I told them to stuff it - if they're able to drop it by £60 when I ring there was nothing to stop them doing so when they sent the renewal.

Changes to insurance - Marlin1

Agree...seems an overdue move...but being the cynic I am, I'm sure there will be no way the insurance companies will lose out.

Exactly, you can be sure that customers will lose out in someway.

Changes to insurance - SLO76
Not a fan of this. I shop around every year and now someone who doesn’t bother to make the effort is to be rewarded for their idleness and I’m to have my wee saving taken from me. In life I believe that those who make the effort should be rewarded and those who don’t should not. Government interference like this almost never results in lower prices for consumers. Price controls and greater regulation will result in higher insurance costs not lower.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/05/2021 at 10:48

Changes to insurance - veloceman
Tend to agree with SLO on this one. Likely to cost us more in the long run.
Will they also start looking at utilities, Sky Tv, breakdown cover etc.
Changes to insurance - nellyjak
Not a fan of this. I shop around every year and now someone who doesn’t bother to make the effort is to be rewarded for their idleness and I’m to have my wee saving taken from me. In life I believe that those who make the effort should be rewarded and those who don’t should not. Government interference like this almost never results in lower prices for consumers. Price controls and greater regulation will result in higher insurance costs not lower.

I agree...we will all end up paying more and the efforts we have made in the past wll go UNrewarded.

Changes to insurance - FP

I'm not sure the new set-up will change things much.

At the moment I'm about to renew. My existing insurer, MoreThan, is quoting me £330.89. Last year it was £322.20.

I do the annual thing of getting quotes from the main comparison websites. The cheapest is Comparethemarket, which gives me £295.41 with (yes, you've guessed it) MoreThan.

As I will be cancelling my policy and starting a new one, I don't see how the changes will make any difference, as I'm not buying from MoreThan directly and not renewing an existing policy.

Changes to insurance - Engineer Andy

I wonder how the screenscrapers will do with this? Normally they get a percentage discount in return for you going through them, and they get a 'fee' for getting that business.

I'm not entirely convinced that it will lead to lower prices, rather like when the EU banned insurers from giving men a higher premium than women for the same risk profile aside from gender. All they did, as far as I know, was to put up the price for women and make more profits.

I suppose it depends on how much cheaper the introductory deals actually are - most of those I get via the screenscraper websites are about 5-15% over what I'd get by either going direct (with some exceptions, those like Direct Line who don't allow screenscrapers to use them), more at the higher end from my existing insurer, though mainly from more established firms.

I too, like Falkirk Bairn, was with esure, in my case from about 2003/4 through to 2020, but started to get fed up with them putting the price up in recent years for no reason whilst others were (for me, anyway) going down.

The only reason why I stayed (up until last year) was that they still weren't that high a premium and offered £0 on their 'compulsary premium'. Last year's rise (despite no claims since 1999 and living in a low risk area) was the final straw, and I saved myself ~£70 / 25% (via the screenscraper) going to QuoteMeHappy (essentially the same terms) and their own quote for 2021 was another 15% less than last year (the lowest it's ever been).

The price via the screenscraper was, if I recall about £3 less, which I wasn't going to be bothered about.

My general opinion is that the regulator (I am not a fan of 'arms'length ones, as they are set up to palm off responsibility for bad / unpopular decisions that should be taken by government ministers) should be far more interested in stopping anti-competitive practices and encourage openness in how insurers measure risk and thus premiums, as well as the dodgy practices concerning claims that drive prices up that they seemingly turn a blind eye to or put together measures that barely address the issue.

There are similar problems with pricing with utility firms - I wonder what the government will do about them? The energy price cap doesn't help either.

Changes to insurance - FoxyJukebox
The price comparison sites will see a slump in demand.
Changes to insurance - Chris M

I wonder whether the cashback deals from the likes of TopCashBack and Quidco will be no more?

Changes to insurance - daveyjp
I was with LV for years as they were always competitive. 8/9 years ago had an accident 100% third party fault and agree. LV renewal doubled from about £300 to almost £600.

Moved to Aviva and have paid about £250 a year with them and their other brand GA. Renewal is due and GA renewal is £240 with 10% off if I buy now.

I always check LV and they have been at silly levels all that time. Checked today and they want £260.

With such a competitive and open market for insurance and ease of getting quotes I can’t see why everyone should have to pay ‘lazy tax’.
I was with LV for years as they were always competitive. 8/9 years ago had an accident 100% third party fault and agree. LV renewal doubled from about £300 to almost £600. Moved to Aviva and have paid about £250 a year with them and their other brand GA. Renewal is due and GA renewal is £240 with 10% off if I buy now. I always check LV and they have been at silly levels all that time. Checked today and they want £260. With such a competitive and open market for insurance and ease of getting quotes I can’t see why everyone should have to pay ‘lazy tax’.

I suppose they rely on many people who just can't be bothered or are 'scared' to change suppliers. On anything. My parents being a great example, up until relatively recently had been with Axa for all insurance, mainly because my dad used to work for them (well, Guardian/GRE).

He had a retiree's special discount (he paid a tiny amount - say £50 - £100 for his car insurance), but Axa (who bought GRE) eventually did away with the perk and so he finally was pursuaded to change (now with LV I think) once the price was significantly increased (especially now that he's over 75).

Even so, they have been with BT for the home phone, whatever firm the pre-privatised Eastern Electricity is now called, and British Gas for their boiler - since they moved to their home in 1975!! They have finally got some sort of a 'discount' on their home phone, but it still ain't cheap.

They only stopped renting their TV etc about 7 years ago as well, finally being persuaded that shelling out £300 - £400pa ain't a wise use of their money.

That's why so many insurers try it on with high renewal quotes - so many mugs about.

Changes to insurance - Will deBeast

I don't routinely change every year, so this will probably have a slight benefit to me.

What it will be good to lose is the waste of half a day entering the details of three cars/2 drivers into multiple systems. Checking that my modifications are acceptable etc.

... and then dealing with the spam calls for weeks/months afterwards.

I'd rather choose a decent company, and stick with them - as long as they are fair in return.

The race to the cheapest price has pared many policies back to the bare essentials.

I buy my breakdown cover through the caravan/motorhome club. It's the same price for everyone. It's excellent cover, which does everything I need. I love the fact that I don't have to ring them up and negotiate each year. Or check the small print to see what they've removed this year.

Edited by Will deBeast on 29/05/2021 at 06:32

I don't routinely change every year, so this will probably have a slight benefit to me.

What it will be good to lose is the waste of half a day entering the details of three cars/2 drivers into multiple systems. Checking that my modifications are acceptable etc.

... and then dealing with the spam calls for weeks/months afterwards.

I'd rather choose a decent company, and stick with them - as long as they are fair in return.

The race to the cheapest price has pared many policies back to the bare essentials.

I buy my breakdown cover through the caravan/motorhome club. It's the same price for everyone. It's excellent cover, which does everything I need. I love the fact that I don't have to ring them up and negotiate each year. Or check the small print to see what they've removed this year.

Indeed. One of the reasons that I stayed with esure for so long, other than they weren't that bad on price, was that being a long term customer meant that I had some unofficial benefits, such as being able to avoid the £25 penalty for changing my cover level (e.g. upping the estimated annual mileage) mid year. It was only when the price increases more than offset this that I thought more about moving provider.

The daft thing is that it is far cheaper to be nice to existing cutomers to retain their loyalty, which also means they need to spend far less on advertising, as word-of-mouth does the work for them.

All that happens now is that the opposite occurs - as demonstrated here - dissatisfied customers tell all and sundry, their reputation suffers, more people leave and the situation worsens. Perhaps someone should tell that to Sharon White at John Lewis.

Changes to insurance - Bilboman

I've been lucky in Spain, a very different insurance market to the UK (as most countries are!) The default position here - and in most of the world! - is that an insurance policy covers the car, not the driver, so it's easy to lend your car to someone and of course to test drive before buying. Breakdown cover is nearly always included in the policy.
Policies roll over (with 15 days' "cover note" for want of a better term) unless you take steps to cancel at least one month in advance. The one month period doesn't apply if the company changes the cover or the price. Everyone takes out insurance for a whole year; it can only be cancelled if you sell the car. So if you take out a policy and default on payment the policy is still valid but the insurance company and police go after the driver for fraud.
Drivers have to carry documents with them, including the insurance policy receipt and (surprise, surprise) identity cards too, which no doubt saves a lot of hassle and limits the amount of " Police! Camera! Action" type footage of BiBs endlessly pursuing uninsured and undocumented drivers half way round the country.

Changes to insurance - sammy1

We have multicar with LV. The renewal just arrived so well after the new announcement from next January. 2cars policy increased by £20. Separate policies on compare the merkats £100 less. Rang LV they would only reduce by £30 but why not quote this up front!! So LV losing my business some £500. Hard to understand their business reasoning other than they are about to be swallowed by venture capitalists so good riddance. I cannot see much changing after January, you cannot win with these guys. I suspect they will gang up and prices will just increase