What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - _

Friend with a tatty Renault van had it serviced, put new battery in and Garage suggested changing cam belt.

Declined as didn't want to spend money.

5 miles later...Bang.

Now has a newer one.

He was upsetbecause of the cost of the new battery...

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/05/2021 at 18:30

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - movilogo

Why not every car has chain cam or if cam belt then non interference type?

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Oli rag
It is very difficult with timing belts to look at one and see that it needs changing, a lot of them have Kevlar in their construction to stop them from stretching.

It’s also hard to spot micro cracking of the belts, which may or may not lead to failure. In my experience I’ve never yet looked at a belt and thought it looked like it needed changing, but have had them fail soon after.

Stick to the manufacturers recommendations for belt replacement intervals because a destroyed engine will be far more expensive than many many belt changes.
Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Bromptonaut

Chains are not immune to problems of one sort or another including breaking or skipping due to stretch and tensioner failure. Anybody familiar with maintaining pedal bikes will have seen how chains stretch and for that matter cogs wear.

Can you have a modern, efficient petrol engine that's non interference?

Never mind a diesel.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - movilogo

Chains are not immune to problems

Is it not the case that in majority of cases chains give some warning rather than snapping suddenly ?

What is the problem with designing non-interference engines? Does it take too much space / cost more to build?

What is the problem with designing non-interference engines? Does it take too much space / cost more to build?

I was thinking about the physics of suck, squeeze, bang, blow and in particular compression ratios.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - John F

What is the problem with designing non-interference engines?

No problem

Does it take too much space / cost more to build?

No. They are just not as powerful or economical. That's why they are favoured in countries where fuel is cheap.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Andrew-T

<< breaking or skipping due to stretch and tensioner failure >>

How much of that is genuine stretch, and how much due to wear on the dozens of small spindles ?

How much of that is genuine stretch, and how much due to wear on the dozens of small spindles ?

Does it make a difference?

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Andrew-T

Probably not, but it might be interesting to know.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - edlithgow

Probably not, but it might be interesting to know.

NONE and ALL, respectively, near as dammit

It makes a difference because stretch, if it happened, would be the inevitable consequence of the mechanical tension load on the chain, and could only be ameliorated by structural change.

Wear can be ameliorated by better lubrication. which is generally good in cars.

Its lousy in bicycles and motorcycles, which run in a grit paste, unless the latter have an enclosed chain, which are sooo uncool because Rossi doesn't have one, so fitted yo very few contemporary offerings.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Engineer Andy

Chains are not immune to problems of one sort or another including breaking or skipping due to stretch and tensioner failure. Anybody familiar with maintaining pedal bikes will have seen how chains stretch and for that matter cogs wear.

Can you have a modern, efficient petrol engine that's non interference?

Never mind a diesel.

The best examples are those that just need fresh oil / bog standard service each year and that's just about - with that, they should easily last the lifetime of the engine as a whole, and hopefully the car overall. Which essentially is most Japanese petrol engines over the last 25 years.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - JonestHon

Cost. It's cheaper to build and fit a belt.

Saying that not everyone gets it right.

1 series Beemers and few Nissans had issues with their chains.

From following the subject of timing I can think of Vauxhall and Toyota as doing a good job on chains and Ford seems to achieve their target of a 100k on most models.

Not an item worth skipping, when purchasing used I would walk away if there is no solid proof for belt maintenance.

Edited by JonestHon on 23/05/2021 at 08:26

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Xileno

"Not an item worth skipping, when purchasing used I would walk away if there is no solid proof for belt maintenance."

Likewise, although I might still consider it if the price was adjusted to compensate.

I've known two friends who had snapped belts from overshooting the service interval, a Clio and a Rover, these were middle-aged cars at the time and in both cases the cars were scrapped as the cost of repair was too much. A ridiculous waste on what were otherwise good cars that would have gone on for many more miles just for the cost of a belt change at probably a few hundred in today's money.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - JonestHon

I learnt my lesson earlier in life. Around 25 years ago I bought a Toyota Corolla 1.3 from someone who promised me he changed the belt at the right schedule. I was younger and naive and took it on his word.

Six month later I was zooming down the M25 when the belt broke.

It was an interference engine and so it went to the scrap.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Ted66

I'll be in a similar dilemma soon. My belt is due in 10,000 miles (about seven months). Don't think I've got the stomach to change it. It's a fiat with 180000 miles on the clock so worth scrap value only. Still on original clutch, turbo, exhaust etc. The suspension clonks, there is rust on the sill. Would have though they would've built in a bit if tolerance regarding interval hopefully. Will let you know in 10k!

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - bathtub tom

I know someone who scrapped a Fiat because of a failed belt. It was a non-interference engine, but they were told once a belt goes the engine is scrap. I couldn't convince them otherwise. I tried to buy the car, but they thought I'd be buying an unrepairable car and refused to sell it to me.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - galileo

I've known two friends who had snapped belts from overshooting the service interval, a Clio and a Rover, these were middle-aged cars at the time and in both cases the cars were scrapped as the cost of repair was too much. A ridiculous waste on what were otherwise good cars that would have gone on for many more miles just for the cost of a belt change at probably a few hundred in today's money.

I had a Rover with the 1.6 Honda engine, cambelt snapped but that was a non-interference engine so once recovered to my local indie only needed a new belt to be back to full health.

Friend with a tatty Renault van....

Age? Mileage? Twentieth or twenty first century?

Modern aramid belts do not break unless something they drive seizes - usually giving warning signs such as whining bearings. Back in the twentieth century Renault had a poor reputation for belt breakage owing to bad design and poor belt material. The belt in my son's Focus is twenty years old and has done 150,000 miles; the one in our old Passat was on 242,000 miles when we sold it - but I did have to replace the whining tension pulley at about 140,000 before it seized and fried it.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Lee Power

The timing belt on the 406 i used to own snapped at 40k miles / 4 years old - Peugeot repaired it FOC but it never ran correctly again afterwards & I traded it in.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - daveyjp

My failure was on a Ford diesel the week before it was due to be done, 36,000 intervals back then, it had done just under 72,000.

However it was a tensioner which failed, not the belt. I'd driven 50 miles on the M62 a couple of hours before and on the way back the car stalled as I pulled away from a roundabout.

Cost to fix about £1,000 25 years ago, but the diesel pump timing was out after they had done it and it smoked like the Flying Scotsman until it was recalibrated!

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - skidpan

Ford Zetec interval is 100,000 miles or 10 years. The engine in the Caterham was brand new when fitted in 2008 but was one of the very last produced in 2004 (as the Mk 1 Focus neared the end of its production run). In 2014 the engine was 10 years old so time for a belt change. Easy to do in the Caterham, simply remove the alternator belt, lock the crank at TDC and remove the cam cover and lock the cams. Took the committee decision not to change the water pump and belt pulleys since the water pump is easily accessible without disturbing the cam belt and after only about 12,000 I expected the pulleys to be fine. How wrong I was, both the tensioner and guide pulley had more than a bit of play in the bearings so back to Mr Ford for the parts.

Total cost was about £80 plus about 2 hours to fit, cheap insurance.

Will be doing it again in 2024 but will buy a full kit next time.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Steveieb

If only engine manufacturers would follow Mazda with their MX5 and Fiat with their Fire engine and make a non interference engine. Simple just loss of power but no damage.

In the case of my A4B6 it’s a whole front end removal to fit a belt and a lot of problems lining the mouldings up again . Subaru is even worse. No wonder the job is put off.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - focussed

Not very confidence inspiring that the Ford tensioner and guide pulley bearings were shot at 12000 miles is it? Do Gates sell any kits containing better quality components?

Pretty sure the brand in the Gates kit I previously had was the same brand as the OEM Ford.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - _

2005, low mileage for age, but in poor nick, bodily, treated like a dustbin, (he is an electrician)

not that i would want him to work on anything of mine!

Crazy thing is he has always had it serviced.!!!

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - lucklesspedestrian

Timing belt went on our 1994 Carina e with the 'lean burn' 1.6 petrol engine. No damage done, turns out it was a non interference engine...phew!

Incidentally, we got the timing belt replaced on our 1.4 TSi Golf at about 50K when it was 5 years old, the VW indy that we took it to showed us the belt and reckoned it looked like new.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - UCB
I bought a 2016 Skoda Octavia in October from a Skoda dealer. They advised that the belt was lifetime unless the car was used in a “dust rich country “. I sought a second opinion and two other dealers plus Skoda UK advised it be replaced at 5 year old. A third dealer asked for my reg and said mine was the lifetime belt. He said some engines have the lifetime belt and others don’t. Confusing or what? I haven’t had it replaced as yet.
Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - catsdad

VW forums have lots of discussion about inconsistent belt changes. Crazily the recommended intervals vary significantly across markets for identical engines. Golf Mk7 UK is 5 years and 60k miles (from memory). I believe mainland Europe is inspection at 160k kilometers.
A big difference. If I keep my Golf I will probably have it done at 5 years as a once in my ownership task. Most of my miles are longish journeys with few stops and starts so I expect it will be perfect.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - barney100

Is it not possible to make a cam belt that dosen't just go or at least give a warning.?

Is it not possible to make a cam belt that dosen't just go or at least give a warning.?

You mean something like a warning light if the tensioner is working overtime?

I suspect that a driver with a mechanical awareness/sympathy might hear a noise that foretold cambelt issues. I had one fail in a Xantia 2.0 HDi 110, suspect it was not the belt itself but the bottom pulley that de-laminated allowing the belt to slip. I heard an odd noise the day before but attributed it to something outside.

Luckier with another car where I picked up a 'tick tick' noise. Initially thought foreign object in tyre but then realised it was related to engine rather than road speed. Turned out an idler pulley in the cam belt's route was failing and causing the belt to fray, the tick tick was the frayed ends catching on the belt's plastic cover. It took the garage two bites to realise it was the cambelt rather than the (also worn) auxiliary belt that was at root.

VW forums have lots of discussion about inconsistent belt changes. Crazily the recommended intervals vary significantly across markets for identical engines.

I think it is because some recommenders err on the cautious side and have a vested interest in the work involved. An expensive garage with a VW sign above the door and on the notepaper doesn't necessarily imbue either the proprietor or the employees with either the expertise or the authority of VW's Wolfsburg engineers.

It's basically all about the percentage risk of failure at a certain mileage. Even a 0.5% failure rate before, say, 100,000 miles would negate a reputation for reliability, especially in a mass produced engine powering hundreds of thousands of cars. Sadly, this means that if, say, 1% of probably unnecessary changes at a 'recommended' 50,000 miles are mucked up by careless mechanics, there will be more unhappy owners than if they had left well alone. Any bearing, whether wheel, water pump, or tension pulley, can unluckily fail at 40,000 miles or less when other identical bearings might last five times longer.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - edlithgow

I believe mainland Europe is inspection at 160k kilometers.

Be interesting to know what they "inspect", since the usual story is you can't predict a belt failure from its appearance.

Could there be some (secret?) measurable parameters that predict remaining life, (seems unlikely) or are they actually inspecting anciliaries like belt tensioners and guides?

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - SLO76

Modern aramid belts do not break unless something they drive seizes - usually giving warning signs such as whining bearings. Back in the twentieth century Renault had a poor reputation for belt breakage owing to bad design and poor belt material. The belt in my son's Focus is twenty years old and has done 150,000 miles; the one in our old Passat was on 242,000 miles when we sold it - but I did have to replace the whining tension pulley at about 140,000 before it seized and fried it.

I largely agree that more often than not the belt fails because one of the pulleys, the water pump or a tensioner fails or seizes but this is why it’s vital for the 95% of the population who know nowt about cars and who don’t want to be under the bonnet listening for potential problems to change the belt, tensioner and (in appropriate cases) the water pump on schedule. I’ve seen loads of belt failures over the years but I’ll agree that the superior quality of today’s cars has vastly reduced it, though it’s usually ruinously expensive if a belt does break today while back in the 80’s and 90’s many mass market engines were non-interference and thus no damage was typically done. This was the norm with Japanese engines as the US market (their main earner) rightly took a dim view of interference motors.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/05/2021 at 14:50

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Engineer Andy

Friend with a tatty Renault van had it serviced, put new battery in and Garage suggested changing cam belt.

Declined as didn't want to spend money.

5 miles later...Bang.

Now has a newer one.

He was upsetbecause of the cost of the new battery...

D'Oh!

Sounds like a similar attitude to an ex-colleague who drove like a bat outta you-know-where, bemoaned at his car's mpg, then crashed it into a stationary van (forgetting it was there) in front on him whilst exiting the car park area at work. He spent £7k or so (net) on a new diesel Megane, but thought it was a 'good deal' as the insurance picked up the value of his old petrol Fiesta.

Some people never learn.

(facepalm)

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Steveieb

Can anyone report a case of a cam belt failing and destroying the engine on a Japanese car ?

I gain the impression that everything runs so much in alignment that there is minimal wear on any of the belts.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Ethan Edwards

Check your local paper or Google. There's usually an ad from some bloke one man band calling himself "cambeltman" or "cambeltking" or something similar. They'll come to you and fit a new one for a small amount of money hundred fifty, two hundred quid. Problem solved. Done that on my old Mondeo soon as I bought it. You don't always have to pay main dealer prices. Oh and they'll always ask you "mate do you want to change the tensioner as well" my 2p say yes.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 23/05/2021 at 20:46

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - focussed

"Can anyone report a case of a cam belt failing and destroying the engine on a Japanese car ?

I gain the impression that everything runs so much in alignment that there is minimal wear on any of the belts."

I've been inside a fair few Honda and Suzuki motors in my professional career and very rarely ever did I find a cam belt that looked as if it needed replacing unless it had been molested - ie foreign object or owner damage.

I think it's down to the better quality of the toothed pulleys so that the belts run cooler with less friction.

Edited by focussed on 23/05/2021 at 23:11

VW forums have lots of discussion about inconsistent belt changes. Crazily the recommended intervals vary significantly across markets for identical engines. Golf Mk7 UK is 5 years and 60k miles (from memory). I believe mainland Europe is inspection at 160k kilometers

When we bought the Leon 1.4 TSi on 2013 we also looked at the Golf 1.4 TSi. In the Golf printed brochure supplied by our local dealer it clearly stated that the Conti belt used was fitted for the life of the car. The Seat dealer insisted that the identical engine in the Leon required a belt change at 3 years or 30,000 miles at a cost of about £350.

The Leon was £5000 less than the Golf so the one extra £350 belt change during our expected 5 year ownership was a drop in the ocean so we bought the Leon but it still nagged me. So I e-mailed Seat Customer Services who replied that the belt in the 1.4 TSi required its condition checking at 60,000 miles and every 20,000 miles after that. But once the belt had done 120,000 miles or was 6 years old it required replacing.

That made me happy, no belt change required but I wonder if VW still have the "fitted for life" page in the manual.

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Archie35

VW forums have lots of discussion about inconsistent belt changes. Crazily the recommended intervals vary significantly across markets for identical engines. Golf Mk7 UK is 5 years and 60k miles (from memory). I believe mainland Europe is inspection at 160k kilometers

When we bought the Leon 1.4 TSi on 2013 we also looked at the Golf 1.4 TSi. In the Golf printed brochure supplied by our local dealer it clearly stated that the Conti belt used was fitted for the life of the car. The Seat dealer insisted that the identical engine in the Leon required a belt change at 3 years or 30,000 miles at a cost of about £350.

The Leon was £5000 less than the Golf so the one extra £350 belt change during our expected 5 year ownership was a drop in the ocean so we bought the Leon but it still nagged me. So I e-mailed Seat Customer Services who replied that the belt in the 1.4 TSi required its condition checking at 60,000 miles and every 20,000 miles after that. But once the belt had done 120,000 miles or was 6 years old it required replacing.

That made me happy, no belt change required but I wonder if VW still have the "fitted for life" page in the manual.

The VW website says (for all models) that belts should be changed every "4 - 5 years (4 years for cars registered before September 2009, 5 years thereafter). This may need to be changed sooner for high mileage drivers."

Save money - False economy - Don't do a cam belt change, - Big John

Indeed -back in the day when my 2001 1.4 16v Octavia was new the cam belt replacement was listed at 110kmles in the owners manual. At a bit over 56k miles whilst still in warranty it started making a funny noise. turned out it was the crap plastic pulleys failing on cambelt assembly - caught before it threw the belt off. Sorted under warranty - shortly after Skoda revised cambelt interval down to 40k miles/4 years!

Edited by Big John on 27/05/2021 at 22:03