What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - wantstolearn

Still reservations ! Is there a normal expected mileage range of life for the 6 gear auto transmission of this car ? Or is it simply fortune ? Assuming correct servicing.

Posted my previous query on Hyundai forum when I posted it here. To date 84 views and not even a post. HJ probably the best forum in the world.

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - SLO76
The 6 speed box is I believe an automated manual box, the sort of thing which has proven to be appallingly unreliable in other brands but so far it seems more robust with Kia and Hyundai. I’d favour the older torque converter 4 speed. I’m confident enough in either if properly maintained but the older one is bulletproof. Buy one with a full Hyundai dealer history that has at least a year manufacturer warranty left or more if buying the DCT box which is exactly what you plan on doing anyway if I remember right. Service it there for peace of mind too, these gearboxes require fluid changes at some point and they can fail if it’s ignored.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/05/2021 at 13:48

Might be better to look for it’s twin sister Kia’s Venga. It comes with a 7yr warranty and you could retain 2-3yrs if you buy one at similar money. I personally think it looks better too but again it depends on how near you are to a Kia dealer for servicing.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103190343352

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - Rerepo

I thought the 6 speed auto was a conventional TC auto. There is no 6 speed DCT, is there? The Hyundai DCT is 7 speed.

I thought the 6 speed auto was a conventional TC auto. There is no 6 speed DCT, is there? The Hyundai DCT is 7 speed.

The 6 speed is a DCT but later Hyundai’s have a 7 speed version. The torque converter box only had 4 gears.
Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - Rerepo

The 6 speed is a DCT but later Hyundai’s have a 7 speed version. The torque converter box only had 4 gears.

No, this is incorrect information. Hyundai/Kia never made a 6 speed DCT for conventional cars (only 6 speed was for the hybrids). The 6 speeders are T/C. The smallest DCT for non hybrid is 7 speed.

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - skidpan

The original auto in the Venga was definitely a TC box (4 speed) and this resulted in many complaints about the abysmal mpg, mid 20's was the norm in the 1.6 petrol. When the 4 speed was replaced by a 6 speed the vastly improved mpg suggests the new box was a DCT not another thirsty TC.

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - Metropolis.
Sorry to digress slightly but a TC is not necessarily thirsty. A family member’s Lexus IS250 6 speed TC 2.5 v6 petrol is averaging 36.4mpg in mixed driving. It is quite long legged, an indicated 2,000 rpm at 70 mph.

SLO you are a star. I'll start to look for both now. Yes the car is great but living near Scarborough it goes against feeling more comfortable buying near to home. Much appreciated, thanks

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - badbusdriver

The 6 speed box is I believe an automated manual box, the sort of thing which has proven to be appallingly unreliable in other brands but so far it seems more robust with Kia and Hyundai. I’d favour the older torque converter 4 speed. I’m confident enough in either if properly maintained but the older one is bulletproof. Buy one with a full Hyundai dealer history that has at least a year manufacturer warranty left or more if buying the DCT box which is exactly what you plan on doing anyway if I remember right. Service it there for peace of mind too, these gearboxes require fluid changes at some point and they can fail if it’s ignored.

As far as I can find out(!), the (facelifted) ix20 and Venga used a 6 speed t/c auto.

It is very hard, almost impossible in some cases, to find out whether or not a car uses a t/c auto or a DCT. This very website used to have info like this in the 'model history' section of each car's review. But inexplicably, this very useful feature has been deemed unnecessary and is no longer a part of the review.

Doing some more searching though, I came upon an exchange from the Kia owners club forum, where it was stated that the 6 speed auto in the Venga (and therefore also its mechanical twin, the ix20) was in fact a torque converter auto.

As a t/c auto, as long as the manufacturers service schedule has been followed, and the auto box itself hasn't been 'abused' (very unlikely in a car of this nature), there is little to worry about. I'd feel quite certain that a decent ix20 or Venga will go about its business with no problems at all for many years to come.

As an aside, absolutely node why the OP felt the need to start a new thread for this rather than his existing ix20 thread, but hey ho.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/70931/-what-is-y...l-
Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - movilogo

Hyundai/Kia never made a 6 speed DCT for conventional cars

My Ceed has 6 speed DCT. Most petrol Sportage are DCT.

Hadn't expected to post again on this. Thought specific query better with new thread. Apologies if mistake.

Many thanks all. Still no response on Hyundai forum ! Despite 82 views.

Edited by wantstolearn on 20/05/2021 at 19:30

Hyundai ix20 - TC Transmission - badbusdriver

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/70931/-what-is-y...l

HJ was specifically mentioned as being wrong on the forum discussion I found. Presumably due to the above, as the discussion was also from 2016. He was apparently emailed regarding the error and the response was, that was the info he was given.

Not sure how you could identify if a gearbox is t/c or DCT, but one of the forum members involved said,

"I can confirm that my Venga has a 6 speed auto with torque converter, and a really good one at that"

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/05/2021 at 20:06

Does seem to be much conflicting info on this one. I’m 50/50, I always thought they used a torque converter box but I can’t see the firm engineering a separate 6 speed box exclusively for this model when the rest of the range switched to DCT, a 6 speed then later 7. Only way for me to be 100% sure would be to drive it. Anyone finds something more concrete then please post it. I’m still happy to recommend one with Hyundai/Kia’s DCT though as it doesn’t seem to be generating much trouble.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/05/2021 at 20:16

I said I want to learn and this forum is a marvellous help. I appreciate your willingness to share your opinionr. When I go to showrooms and have test drives I will be much better prepared. Many thanks again.

Edited by wantstolearn on 20/05/2021 at 22:16