Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Phil Farel

newbie to the forum here so looking for advice or just comments on buying a used 3 door hatchback.

I like reasonably sporty, reliable, 35+mpg, min engine 1.4 max 2 litre. Prefer petrol only because government is determined to punish diesel owners over next few years. I only do about 6000 miles a year and I am 55 but share it with my daughter who is 22.

Have a long list ..in no particular order or preference lol

As I'm new..be gentle haha

Suzuki Swift

Audi A3

Ford Focus

Volvo C30

Vauxhall Astra

Honda Civic

Renault Megane

Mazda2

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - badbusdriver

£1500 is a very small amount of money to be buying a car with expectations of reliability. With that sort of budget, I'd be looking for as simple a car as possible. And I don't just mean n/a petrol and manual gearbox, but also a fairly low spec, so less gadgets and gizmo's to go wrong.

Buy on condition, and use the MOT history check website which, while by no means definitive, will give an indication on how well or otherwise a car has been looked after.

On your list, what I'd probably be looking for first would be the Suzuki Swift, Ford Focus and Mazda 2. Probably wouldn't bother with the Megane unless really nice. A cheap A3 is probably going to have been owned by a boy racer, so be careful. Volvo C30 is the same under the skin as the Focus, but be aware, four seats only.

Others I'd look at, Ford Fiesta and Fusion, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Auris and Corolla, and Mazda 3.

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Xileno

For under £1500 you need to buy privately. Any reason for the three door requirement? The Focus is a good option with the Yamaha 1.6 engine but most are five door. Any of the Japanese suggestions should be good but it's all about condition at this age, a cherished Megane might be better than a knackered Civic.

Thank so far. You are 100% correct that I need to look at condition and history

You've already matched so far my ow thoughts that the Japanese ones are 'probably' going to be more reliable. I did have a 3 door focus once , I think it was a 1.8, and it drove brilliantly and I never had an issue..should have kept it I guess !

I dont need 5 seats as it will be a 2nd car and as for 3 doors, its purely that we both like the style of 3 door cars more than 5...just how we feel

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Engineer Andy

Thank so far. You are 100% correct that I need to look at condition and history

You've already matched so far my ow thoughts that the Japanese ones are 'probably' going to be more reliable. I did have a 3 door focus once , I think it was a 1.8, and it drove brilliantly and I never had an issue..should have kept it I guess !

I dont need 5 seats as it will be a 2nd car and as for 3 doors, its purely that we both like the style of 3 door cars more than 5...just how we feel

Note that 3dr cars have larger doors than 4 and 5 door cars, which sometimes means they are more difficult to get in/out of when in a tight parking space! To get a decent car, it would be FAR better to compromise to get a 5dr car (many more about) that's in good condition with a full service history than a 3dr one that does not.

I fully understand about the styling aspect though, but when you're buying at that price point, you can't be so choosy. Best to go for condition, as long as it reasonably meets other *must have* requirements.

Most 2000s and onwards Focus size car and smaller will be able to achieve 35mpg - my 2005-built Mazda3 1.6 petrol has an official mpg of around 37-38 (average driving pattern), whereas I actually achieve 40-41 over the 15 years I've owned it.

What I'd also do is avoid cars with low profile (50 profile and under) tyres, and preferably stick to cars that are shod on common tyre size combos, e.g. 195/65 R15, 205/55 R16 and some at the 14in rim size.

Replacement tyres of either unusual size combinations or that are shod on large (for the car) wheels are much more expensive, ride much more firmly (low profile ones) are far more susceptible to damage and high wear and thus cost a lot more to replace (and there's less choice, often using old tech that is worse for mpg), plus the wheels themselves are too. The suspension also takes more of a hit with low profile tyres, meaning that will wear more quickly (more expense).

e.g. fitted cost for a common size of summer tyre (from a decent make) for a Fiesta or Focus is about £45 - £65, but for low profile or uncommon size combos add £25 - £50 (the larger the internal diameter/lower profile, the higher the disparity) and, because the low profile ones don't last as long (including damage from kerbing, potholes, etc) , you end up paying much more over the ownership of the car. In your case, that could amount to more than annual servicing.

I'd personally go for a manual petrol car (the engine size is irrelevant - performance, mpg and above all, reliability is key) with as little gadgets as possible to reduce the cost/get a newer example and to make sure you have less stuff to go wrong as it ages. If you can only afford £1500, then you won't be able to afford big bills if some gadget goes wrong.

When you go for a test drive, make sure it's:

a) of a reasonable length on a variety of different road types you'll be using later on, including poorly surfaced roads, which will show up damaged suspension, a general overly firm ride or poor seat comfort/driving position.

b) You get the driver's seat position and steering wheel as best as you can, as not doing so can give a false impression, similarly to going on a short test drive or one at low speeds on straight, smooth roads.

c) If you're not in the know about the mechanics of cars, then take someone along who is (the breakdown organisations provide this service [they charge] if you can't find someone to do it as a favour), given you'll likely be buying privately or from a small-time dealer.

d) If the car looks messy and/or badly worn inside/badly treated (expect some little issues for older cars) or the seller won't meet at their home or (dealer) place of business, then walk away.

Best of luck.

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - SLO76

At this sort of money condition is all important but certain brands and models are weaker than others and I’d certainly remove the Renault from your list unless a particularly immaculate low mileage Clio with recent timing belt change were to appear.

You’re right to leave out diesels but less so because of government taxation and more because of the added complexity and cost of repairs, a cheap diesel is never a wise buy. In fact the three most important words to remember when looking for a cheap car are “keep it simple.” Avoid anything complex, prestige or performance. Stick with mass market models which have good aftermarket parts supply and which are simple and easy to maintain and repair.

I’d expand your options and cast your net as wide as possible.

Suzuki Swift petrol - Great little cars but watch for rot underneath at this money.

Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol - A hoot to drive and reliable with the zingy wee Yamaha designed engines.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - As above but with more room.

Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol - Brilliant little cars and chain driven engine so there’s no timing belt to worry about.

Mazda 3 1.6/2.0 petrol - I really rate these, they make excellent cheapo family cars but pre facelift examples rust.

Volvo C30 1.6 petrol - Dear for parts but an interesting little car and reliable in 1.6 petrol form.

Honda Civic - You’ll just touch the bottom end for the post 2006 bullet shape version at this money. The 1.4 dsi petrol is a slug but it is reliable, the 1.8 petrol is the one you want but a good one might need more money. The older 1.6 and 2.0 VTEC is a great cheapo runner and the 2.0 Type S 5dr is a well kept secret gem. Find a good one and you’ll love it.

Toyota Corolla - Tough but bland.

Toyota Yaris 1.33 - Very hardy and cheap to run.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol - Dull and cheaply made inside but loads around and great value. Parts are cheap and the 1.6 petrol is long lived. Avoid the 1.8 VVT and the chain driven 1.4 can suffer timing chain issues.

Kia Cee’d - Very worthy but watch for rot underneath.

Hyundai i30 - As above, it’s the same car.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/05/2021 at 21:12

Wow you are knowledgeable , what and answer..it will take me all evening to go through it

Thanks so much

At this sort of money condition is all important but certain brands and models are weaker than others and I’d certainly remove the Renault from your list unless a particularly immaculate low mileage Clio with recent timing belt change were to appear.

You’re right to leave out diesels but less so because of government taxation and more because of the added complexity and cost of repairs, a cheap diesel is never a wise buy. In fact the three most important words to remember when looking for a cheap car are “keep it simple.” Avoid anything complex, prestige or performance. Stick with mass market models which have good aftermarket parts supply and which are simple and easy to maintain and repair.

I’d expand your options and cast your net as wide as possible.

Suzuki Swift petrol - Great little cars but watch for rot underneath at this money.

Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol - A hoot to drive and reliable with the zingy wee Yamaha designed engines.

Ford Focus 1.6 petrol - As above but with more room.

Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol - Brilliant little cars and chain driven engine so there’s no timing belt to worry about.

Mazda 3 1.6/2.0 petrol - I really rate these, they make excellent cheapo family cars but pre facelift examples rust.

Volvo C30 1.6 petrol - Dear for parts but an interesting little car and reliable in 1.6 petrol form.

Honda Civic - You’ll just touch the bottom end for the post 2006 bullet shape version at this money. The 1.4 dsi petrol is a slug but it is reliable, the 1.8 petrol is the one you want but a good one might need more money. The older 1.6 and 2.0 VTEC is a great cheapo runner and the 2.0 Type S 5dr is a well kept secret gem. Find a good one and you’ll love it.

Toyota Corolla - Tough but bland.

Toyota Yaris 1.33 - Very hardy and cheap to run.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 petrol - Dull and cheaply made inside but loads around and great value. Parts are cheap and the 1.6 petrol is long lived. Avoid the 1.8 VVT and the chain driven 1.4 can suffer timing chain issues.

Kia Cee’d - Very worthy but watch for rot underneath.

Hyundai i30 - As above, it’s the same car.

Took a look.. are these what you mean ?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105142623726

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105142640743

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105172710174

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105172749912

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105132588125

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105012085216

I’d leave out the Fiesta with its daft boy racer spoiler as it’ll likely have been hammered by some young fella but the others are worthy of a look at least. Remember that a couple of them are advertised as having only one key so factor this in when offering as it may cost £100 - £150 to replace. Make sure you take someone knowledgeable with you when looking, it’s worth the cost f you need to bribe someone.

When you first contact the seller ask if the car is registered to them at their current address, if not then walk away. Accept no excuses other than possibly bereavement, it’s very likely they’re a fly trader and if there’s no V5 then do not buy it.

Ask how long they’ve owned it, any less than 2yrs and look elsewhere. Short term ownership signifies a car that’s disliked for a reason. If they’ve had it for years and years then it must’ve been reliable.

Ask why they’re selling. You might not get the truth, few would say if it had been a pain in the a*** but if they have a newer version of the same thing sitting on the driveway then that’s always a good sign as would be someone giving up driving or for sale due to bereavement. Sad for the family but it means the car isn’t being sold because it’s done.

Ask to hear it start from cold and take a test drive but only to do so if your insurer covers you to drive another car. If they won’t let you drive it then walk away. Watch for smoke from the rear, listen for knocks and suspension rattles, odd engine noises and make sure the gears engage cleanly without balking and get a feeling for how high the clutch is biting, too high and it’s on its way out. Check underneath for rot, look under the bonnet for it too, especially on the front crossmember. Check for oil and water mixing, dip the oil to check its condition and take a look at the oil filter to see if it looks recent, I’ve seen them so old they’ve rusted through. Look for major oil leaks and telltale signs such as a half empty oil or water container in the boot. Look for poor paint repairs and signs of water ingress in the cabin. Check all electrics work too. Check the Mot history too which is a God send.

Buying a cheap used car privately can be fun but there are risks so try to eliminate them before even viewing.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/05/2021 at 23:25

Spotted a few but no idea if they’re nearby.

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-coro...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toyota-auri...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mazda-2-hat...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mazda-2-hat...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/nissan-micr...l

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/fabulous-c3...l

Edited by SLO76 on 18/05/2021 at 23:46

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Chris M

" If they won’t let you drive it then walk away."

I haven't come across an insurer that will let you drive other cars with more than Third Party only cover and then it needs to be insured by the owner for that to apply. That won't cover damage to the car being sold. If anyone rocks up to buy a car I was selling they would have to show me proof of comprehensive cover. Extremely unlikely if the car was up for £1,500. Even then it would be a major headache for the seller to be left with a damaged, unsaleable vehicle while the insurance claim was sorted out.

I'd drive the car wherever the prospective purchaser wanted me to drive and maybe if I thought them trustworthy, let them have a short drive in a deserted car park or similar with me in the passenger seat.

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Andrew-T

I'd drive the car wherever the prospective purchaser wanted me to drive and maybe if I thought them trustworthy, let them have a short drive in a deserted car park or similar with me in the passenger seat.

When I have sold privately I have taken prospective buyers for several miles of test drive, but I think I would always avoid giving anyone the keys until the car is sold.

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Terry W

The only hing I could add to the very good advice above is to do a test drive in a newer (2-5 years) more expensive (+£2-3000) version of what you intend to buy.

You will then know what a good one feels and sounds like!

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Heidfirst

I wonder if it's worth the OP also considering the Aygo/107/C1 triplets?

Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Xileno

The OP mentioned engine 1.4 to 2.0

Thanks but yes..wanted a bit of speed so 1.3 sport upwards

cheers anyway

I haven't come across an insurer that will let you drive other cars with more than Third Party only cover and then it needs to be insured by the owner for that to apply. That won't cover damage to the car being sold. If anyone rocks up to buy a car I was selling they would have to show me proof of comprehensive cover. Extremely unlikely if the car was up for £1,500. Even then it would be a major headache for the seller to be left with a damaged, unsaleable vehicle while the insurance claim was sorted out.

This is one of the risks you incur when selling privately unfortunately. I’d ask to see proof that they are legally covered but I’d accept the risk that they’re only covered 3rd party and I’d offer a test drive in a safe and quiet place. If you’re not willing to accept this then I’d advise selling your car to a dealer instead and I stand by my recommendation that you should never buy a used car without driving it. You cannot fully assess a vehicle without doing so. Walk away if you can’t drive it.
Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - Chris M

I'd turn that around SLO and say if you want to test drive a car I have up for sale for £1,500, go to a dealer and pay dealer prices.

I'd turn that around SLO and say if you want to test drive a car I have up for sale for £1,500, go to a dealer and pay dealer prices.

I’d just go to another private sale car and buy that. Ask yourself if you’d buy a car without driving it. I wouldn’t and I wouldn’t recommend it either.
Any advice on used 3 door hatchback under £1500 ? - johncyprus

I’d walk away. Not to a dealer but to another private seller who’d let me drive it, I wouldn’t buy any car without driving it first.

I’ve always bought and sold privately. I’ve recently sold a Jazz and the buyer was very respectable and appeared sensible so I let him drive it in a very quiet housing estate. If the prospective buyer is at all iffy then no drive however I usually manage to filter out iffy people when they phone.