What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - Xileno

Even the tiny manufacturers are having to change, despite having a small budget compared to the mainstream car manufacturers.

www.electrive.com/2021/05/17/caterham-looks-to-rel.../

Three sec 0 to 60 is about the same as the petrol model.

Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - SLO76
A sad sign of the times. Yes it’ll be quick and nimble but the soul will go with the petrol engine and manual gearbox. Buy a fun car soon before they stop making them.
Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - skidpan

If they don't sell electric cars they will not sell any after 2030, in the UK anyway. Pretty sure the UK is still one of their biggest markets if not their biggest market pre-Covid.

Morgan have been selling an electric 3 wheeler for a while now but pretty sure the model dies this year. Seem to remember that the drive train is provided by Faser Nash Technologies.

Move with the times or die.

But no panic. There are plenty of used cars out there that will last indefinitely if maintained correctly. Mine is 29 years old later this year. I could get the body/chassis refurbed if necessary by the company that made it )Arch Motors in Huntingdon) and Ford mechanical bits will be available for many years. I have plenty of spares tucked away should problems occur.

Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - badbusdriver

There is also bio-fuel, which various companies, including Porsche is investing heavily in. It isn't going to save the ICE en masse, but it will quite possibly throw a lifeline to classics, and small volume players like Caterham?.

But TBH, I quite fancy the idea of an electric Caterham!.

Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - Stackman II

Given that Caterham don't manufacture their own engines anyway then presumably the problem is to source a hybrid power train small and light enough to meet their dynamic brief.

Will the so-called mild hybrids like the Suzuki system qualify to be sold after 2030?

As I understand it they are little more than a more robust starter motor which can chip in occasionally.

Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - skidpan

Given that Caterham don't manufacture their own engines anyway then presumably the problem is to source a hybrid power train small and light enough to meet their dynamic brief.

The base engines Caterham use are very cheap to buy, its the modifications that are done to meet the demands of customers that cost all the money.

Take the 2 litre Zetec in my Caterham. I paid about £800 in 2008 for the unit brand new still on a Ford crate, Same place still has them, about £920 now. But that is just the start. I stripped off the bits that I did not need and sold them on e-bay, got about £300 making the base engine £500. Since I already had all the other bits from a previous install that was all it cost me but to start from scratch you must be looking at another £3000 which gives you a 175 bhp engine. Want more power, start thinking big numbers even if you do the work yourself its going to cost you another £10000 to get 250 bhp bringing the total to close on £14000. Add in a professional engine builder and your guess is as good as mine.

Morgan pulled the plug (no pun intended) on the electric 3 wheeler due to battery supply issues. The Caterham would need similar batteries so lets hope they are available.

Caterham Seven - Caterham to go electric - badbusdriver

Will the so-called mild hybrids like the Suzuki system qualify to be sold after 2030?

As I understand it they are little more than a more robust starter motor which can chip in occasionally.

No, the hybrid would have to be able to power the car itself, so a mild hybrid won't cut it.