What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Trilogy.

I still believe the government is wrong to ban sales of all ICE cars.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-technolog...y

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Terry W

The 2030 ban relates to cars and vans - not HGVs and construction equipment etc.

I believe there may be a expectation that the HGV ICE ban may be effective 2040 - but that is a long way off.

For cars and vans it is not clear to me whether a modified ICE or fuel cell is the most efficient way to use hydrogen energy.

I am also far from convinced hydrogen makes any sense anyway with significant hurdles to overcome in generation and distribution. Both were solved for electric long ago. I accept others may hold a different view!!

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Bromptonaut

I still believe the government is wrong to ban sales of all ICE cars.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-technolog...y

I'd imagine that if zero emission ICE is possible then it will be exempt from the ban. Is there yet any 'pathfinder' legislation on the ICE ban?

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Cris_on_the_gas

I thought from 2030 not allowed to sell Petrol or Diesel Engines no mention of Internal Combustion Engines(ICE)

Would a Hydrogen Fuel cell car be classed as an ICE ? After all a chemical reaction inside an enclosed space must be Internal Combustion !

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Heidfirst

I thought from 2030 not allowed to sell Petrol or Diesel Engines

Wholly petrol or diesel. Hybrids are allowed on sale until 2035.

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Engineer Andy

I thought from 2030 not allowed to sell Petrol or Diesel Engines no mention of Internal Combustion Engines(ICE)

Would a Hydrogen Fuel cell car be classed as an ICE ? After all a chemical reaction inside an enclosed space must be Internal Combustion !

That last point is incorrect. Chemical reactions rarely need combustion to occur.

Obviously hydrogen and oxygen can be burned together to creat energy and water (space vehicles being the example), but fuel cell vehicles don't work in that way.

Not so easy for a car compared to a huge JCB which likely has a large amount of space for the fuel tank. Fuel cell cars already use more space in them to store the fuel than ICE ones.

As mentioned elsewhere, there are still many logistical, technological, nevironmental and infrastructure problems to overcome as regards using hydrogen as a fuel source.

I agree that 2040, never mind 2035 or 2030 is not only unachievable, at least without bankrupting the nation, but is downright stupid.

We had the chairman of the new PSA group Stellaratis (or whatever) saying that this overly fast changeover to EVs will set society back to days of Downton Abbey by making cars the plaything of only the well-off.

We need to resolve all those other issues, including developing clean, robust (i.e. available 24/7/365) energy sources, not just pretending we will and hoping they'll magically appear and be fully integrated into society in just 9 years time, which they won't.

Note that our nextgen nuclear power stations have barely made it to the drawing board, and we're still in a very unstable period generally. I'm amazed at how naive those in positions of power/influence proposing/agreeing these changes are, or perhaps they have a vested interest in such moves that have little to do with benefitting the general public.

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Bolt

We need to resolve all those other issues, including developing clean, robust (i.e. available 24/7/365) energy sources, not just pretending we will and hoping they'll magically appear and be fully integrated into society in just 9 years time, which they won't.

I wonder if you have a crystal ball to see into the future, but technology is moving in leaps and bounds so who knows what will happen in 10 years, imo if it doesn`t happen in that time, by 2050 I hope it will, if enough people are determined enough to overcome the challenges as we have done over the years

its far from impossible, difficult yes but not impossible....

I wonder if you have a crystal ball to see into the future, but technology is moving in leaps and bounds so who knows what will happen in 10 years, imo if it doesn`t happen in that time, by 2050 I hope it will, if enough people are determined enough to overcome the challenges as we have done over the years

its far from impossible, difficult yes but not impossible....

It's not just the technical challenges of developing new tech, but actually rolling out them and, more importantly, the infrastructure to support the new tech.

All at the same time as we have to pay off and extra £300Bn+ of debts racked up as a result of the pandemic and the economic knock-on effects of near a year of shutdowns of manufacturing and many other businesses.

It's taken 10+ years just to prove barely enough EV charging stations to account for well under 1% of all cars on the road. Many power stations, especially nuclear ones, are at the end of life and will take at least 10 years, likely a lot more to replace.

I am being realistic. Those touting these new tech and laws are not.

There is also www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-news-wrc/toy...s

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - brum

Whats the point of hydrogen ICE? As the majority of hydrogen is produced inefficiently from fossil fuel sources, the sum total of CO2 generated will be considerably greater than if you just used petrol or diesel in an engine.

Youtube video explaining why hydrogen internal combustion engines are a dumb idea

youtu.be/1Ajq46qHp0c

Based on National Grid figures - over the last 9 years total electrical energy consumption has fallen in the UK by 10% - I assume mainly due to the use of LED lighting, further overseas manufacturing and energy efficiency improvements.

In that period (annual totals) fossil fuel generation has reduced from 25GW to ~14GW. Nuclear has remained fairly constant. Solar and wind have grown from 2GW to ~9GW.

The proposition that by 2030 it is somehow not possible to grow solar/wind by another 5-10GW is flawed - it is entirely feasible.

The barriers - money and energy storage (green energy is fundamentally variable). Both are capable of being overcome if the will is there.

9 years ago renewable energy was ~5% of total consumption now it is ~22%. A Nissan Leaf in 2012 had a range of less than 100 miles - the typical small EV now has a range of 150-250 miles.

Based on National Grid figures - over the last 9 years total electrical energy consumption has fallen in the UK by 10% - I assume mainly due to the use of LED lighting, further overseas manufacturing and energy efficiency improvements.

In that period (annual totals) fossil fuel generation has reduced from 25GW to ~14GW. Nuclear has remained fairly constant. Solar and wind have grown from 2GW to ~9GW.

The proposition that by 2030 it is somehow not possible to grow solar/wind by another 5-10GW is flawed - it is entirely feasible.

The barriers - money and energy storage (green energy is fundamentally variable). Both are capable of being overcome if the will is there.

9 years ago renewable energy was ~5% of total consumption now it is ~22%. A Nissan Leaf in 2012 had a range of less than 100 miles - the typical small EV now has a range of 150-250 miles.

The Tech That Could Fix One of Wind Power's Biggest Problems - YouTube

I mentioned this new wind turbine some time ago which imo looks better and can work in almost no wind, but is possible to make them stacked which is in another video, so tech is improving and I think much better looking without taking up so much room with massive blades

also being worked on is a solar panel that charges from the night sky though that needs more work to produce the same amount of electricity the standard panels do

I mentioned this new wind turbine some time ago which imo looks better and can work in almost no wind, but is possible to make them stacked which is in another video, so tech is improving and I think much better looking without taking up so much room with massive blades

also being worked on is a solar panel that charges from the night sky though that needs more work to produce the same amount of electricity the standard panels do

Wow, wind turbines that work without wind and solar panels that work at night....

Is it April the first already?

Wow, wind turbines that work without wind and solar panels that work at night....

That appears to be most peoples attitude towards these panels and wind turbines, I understand the panels are still being researched as at the time of seeing the research video the panels could only produce 10% of what the daytime panel makes.

but the turbines are being used in some countries, they are being considered here as they have problems with the fan blades here splitting up and slowing the charge rates and costing fortunes to replace.

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - alan1302

It's wind turbines that work with less wind, not no wind. And solar panels that work in lower light levels at night time. I would hope that you are aware that we do still have light at night times...if we didn't you could not see anything.

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Andrew-T

<< It's .... solar panels that work in lower light levels at night time. I would hope that you are aware that we do still have light at night times...if we didn't you could not see anything. >>

They might work quite well in towns if they faced the street lighting - it would be a way of getting back a little of one's council tax payment. Can't see much use in deeper countryside except when a full mon is out perhaps.

It's wind turbines that work with less wind, not no wind. And solar panels that work in lower light levels at night time. I would hope that you are aware that we do still have light at night times...if we didn't you could not see anything.

You really think that solar panels will generate that much electricity from street lights, lights in/on buildings, vehcile headlamps reflected off the clouds and the light from the moon and stars other than our own?

You'd be lucky to get a couple of Watts per night, given the ambient light level, which is significantly below that of a cloudy day. BTW - I'm counting night time as dusk (not sunset) when we have zero light from our sun, so obviously the time of the 'day' is meaningless.

I'm hoping you just mean PV panels that are more efficient at lower light levels in the evening and early mornings when the sun is at a low elevation (including and especially in winter).

What would be more useful are, at least for flat roofs and on level ground, PV panels that rotate and pitch up/down to get the optimum angle to get the most sunlight. Obviously impractical for pitched roofed buildings.

You really think that solar panels will generate that much electricity from street lights, lights in/on buildings, vehcile headlamps reflected off the clouds and the light from the moon and stars other than our own?

No, not expecting they would produce loads of power - at least not with todays technology. I was replying to a poster who didn't think there was any light at night time.

Just to show that these things are being looked at that do work at night:

www.sustainability-times.com/low-carbon-energy/a-s.../

also re. vertical wind turbines www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-news/n.../

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - madf

Suppose by 2030 20Million UK cars are electric powered: yes I know it won't be true but assume so.

Assume each has a 50KWH battery and is charged 50% once a week

So weeekly load = 20M x 50x 0.5 KWH . = 500GWH: which equates to an average of 3GWH every hour - or if all charged for 12 hours every night , 6GWH..

Daily demand is c 40GWH - so a 15% increase which on papaer is quite achievable.

As the government has zero plans to increase hydrogen production, and is way behind on planning charging cpacity, hydrogen in the UK is a dead duck.

Edited by madf on 19/05/2021 at 06:23

But charging the nations EVs will not be evenly spread out over the day thing. It will be a concentrated peak demand probably between 1 am and 5am. Like everyone in the uk switching on their kettles at the same time.

Smart meters were not rolled out as a green initiative to help save energy, despite what they energy companies and government might tell you.

The intention, aside from reducing the cost of meter reading, was (I believe) to have the capacity to flex prices in small chunks of time.

The ability to plug in the EV and leave it to recharge at optimum times when unit costs are low will become the norm. You will probably be able to set options - eg: "stuff the cost, charge it fast and now" through to "make sure there is a 60% charge by 07.00 tomorrow morning"

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Sofa Spud

There was research into hydrogen as a fuel for combustion engines years ago before hydrogen fuel-cell powered electric cars became a reality. But these never gained popularity either because advances in battery technology have made the battery EV the strongest contender.

With a battery EV, the energy that goes into the battery through the charging cable has been generated once. With a hydrogen powered car, whether i.c. or fuel-cell, energy is consumed by hydrogen production before it goes near the car.

It is also argued that if we all switch to EVs, there'd be no net increase in electricity demand because the amount of energy (mostly electricity) saved by not having to refine oil to make petrol or diesel fuel would cancel out any increase.

They say you get about 3 times as much energy back from petrol or diesel than the refining process consumes. But then an internal combustion engine is only roughly 1/3 thermally efficient, cancelling that out. An EV is much more efficient at round about 75% from grid to wheels. The main problem with EVs has been the weight / bulk / cost of batteries with sufficient range. The weight and bulk problem has been solved enough to make EVs a practical alternative so it's really only cost that's still a problem. There's still the search for greater energy density batteries though.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/05/2021 at 12:07

But charging the nations EVs will not be evenly spread out over the day thing. It will be a concentrated peak demand probably between 1 am and 5am. Like everyone in the uk switching on their kettles at the same time.

But at night time most people are asleep so not using power in their homes/offices and alot of manufactuing is not at night so there is plenty of scope to provide power to the chargers.

Whats the point of hydrogen ICE? As the majority of hydrogen is produced inefficiently from fossil fuel sources, the sum total of CO2 generated will be considerably greater than if you just used petrol or diesel in an engine.

The obvious advantage is to manufacturers - very little change to what they already manufacture would be required. & apparently for the heavy sector (artics, construction equipment etc. & I would imagine potentially marine) it could be better than BEV.

Currently H2 production may be but in the future (especially if we have lots of spare renewable electricity) it may not be. Hydrocarbons don't just release CO2 during burning but also release gases like methane during production so if more efficient ways of producing H2 from water by electrolysis etc. can be found ...

www.carboncommentary.com/blog/2017/7/5/hydrogen-ma...y

www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589299...5

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - Sofa Spud

The only application I can see for hydrogen fuelled combustion engines is as a conversion for classic cars. This might be preferable to converting them to EVs as seems fashionable at the moment. Can a classic Jaguar XK or Lotus Twin-Cam be converted to run on hydrogen? Do an E-type or Elan have room for hydrogen tanks?

For heavy goods vehicles, the fuel-cell is being pursued as a power source in conjunction with a battery to cope with regenerative braking. I guess that the range of the forthcoming Tesla Semi, which is pure battery electric, when it comes to market, will determine the future of the rival fuel-cell-electric trucks such as the Nikola.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 19/05/2021 at 12:08

The only application I can see for hydrogen fuelled combustion engines is as a conversion for classic cars. This might be preferable to converting them to EVs as seems fashionable at the moment. Can a classic Jaguar XK or Lotus Twin-Cam be converted to run on hydrogen? Do an E-type or Elan have room for hydrogen tanks?

According to wikipedia

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combusti...e

The differences between a hydrogen ICE and a traditional gasoline engine include hardened valves and valve seats, stronger connecting rods, non-platinum tipped spark plugs, a higher voltage ignition coil, fuel injectors designed for a gas instead of a liquid, larger crankshaft damper, stronger head gasket material, modified (for supercharger) intake manifold, positive pressure supercharger, and high temperature engine oil.

A hydrogen-fuelled piston engine that emits no CO - edlithgow

Youtube video explaining why hydrogen internal combustion engines are a dumb idea

youtu.be/1Ajq46qHp0c

I honestly don't have time to check that one now, but most, if not all of the videos I've seen "explaining why hydrogen internal combustion engines are a dumb idea"...er...don't.

OK, watched it now, This one doesn't either.

Even John Cadogan, who does'nt take any prisoners when dissing other peoples sloppy terminology, falls in to this sloppy terminology trap.

What these video's do is explain some of the snags of hydrogen fuelled reciprocating piston engines in cars.

For jet engines in aircraft (they are nearly all "internal combustion", though I believe there are some "external combustion" ideas) there may currently be no viable non-hydrocarbon alternative to hydrogen.

Battery or fuel cell powered aircraft do exist but are likely to have severe range and payload limitations for some time to come.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/05/2021 at 16:53