What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - mpm235

Hello all, hope you are all well,

Is it true that used car prices drop steeply once a car gets to 3 years old?

I've heard this said in the past, think its supposed to be that the price drops once a car has to have MOTs. Don't know if its just an urban myth or not?

Reason for asking is, I will have to replace my much loved 2008 Prius at some point and thinking about a Corolla Touring, they been out since 2019, so wondering if prices likely to become more affordable, when they get to 3 year old, in 2022.

Thanks, Mark

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - badbusdriver

You have it the wrong way round. The depreciation slows down once a car gets to a certain age, this was generally considered 3 years old, not sure if it still is.

Heaviest depreciation is in the first year, slightly less in second year, less again in the third year and so on.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - Lee Power

If you can, when the time comes go for the newer 2 litre hybrid power train - its a lot more useable / enjoyable then the previous 1.8 hybrid as fitted to older Toyota hybrid models.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - Andrew-T

Heaviest depreciation is in the first year, slightly less in second year, less again in the third year and so on.

May tie in with the end of a maker's warranty - at which point a car has reached what might be seen as its intrinsic value. Till then the price has included the perceived value of a warranty ?

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - Heidfirst

another thing that can affect prices is when there was a complete model change or a mid-life facelift. The older version is usually considered to be worth £hundreds less even if there may only be a matter of days/weeks between registrations. It's usually worth looking at exactly what the changes were & whether they make a difference/are worth the extra to you.

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - mpm235

thanks mate

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - mcintosh

Hello all, hope you are all well,

Is it true that used car prices drop steeply once a car gets to 3 years old?

I've heard this said in the past, think its supposed to be that the price drops once a car has to have MOTs. Don't know if its just an urban myth or not?

Reason for asking is, I will have to replace my much loved 2008 Prius at some point and thinking about a Corolla Touring, they been out since 2019, so wondering if prices likely to become more affordable, when they get to 3 year old, in 2022.

Thanks, Mark

This tool might give you a general feel for how car prices depreciate over time:

https://www.themoneycalculator.com/vehicle-finance/calculators/car-depreciation-calculator/

The site also has estimates for specific models. Unfortunately, I think the Corolla is too new for accurate figures but the previous Auris lost about 47% of its value over 3 years. I would expect the Corolla to be broadly the same.

If you buy at 3 yrs old, you’ll have 2 yrs left of the Toyota warranty and someone else will have taken the major part of the depreciation hit. The car will continue to lose value but at a slower rate.

Edited by mcintosh on 28/04/2021 at 18:06

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - daveyK_UK
On average (every car make / model is different ) car depreciation slows down around 5 years old.
It still depreciates but at a slower rate.
Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - Warning

For each car the situation is different.

For instance, I remember seeing a car which was new at £22,000, but after 5 years it had done 70,000 miles and on sale for £10k. So if felt a pretty rubbish deal for the second owner. This situation is really for cars which are in high demand and hold their value well.

Yes, I did consider to Corolla Touring, but the ones which I saw, felt pretty good value (for a Toyota).

> so wondering if prices likely to become more affordable, when they get to 3 year old, in 2022.

I have seen two for sale. They looked very good value. Sometimes you can get bargains. You could wait until 2022 and regret not buying the two which I saw. It might not make much difference to wait until 2022.

Edited by Warning on 28/04/2021 at 21:32

Toyota Corolla Touring Sports - Used car prices after 3 years old? - johncyprus

As a rough rule of thumb I think it’s safe to assume that cars will depreciate by about 20% yearly. High rates of depreciation in the first year then forever diminishing rates thereafter.